AMD questions

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

AMD questions

Post by Leo »

Does AMD CPUs generate a lot more heat than intel?

Does Intel use higher quality parts?
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
Dann Corbit

Re: AMD questions

Post by Dann Corbit »

To find out how much heat a CPU produces, just look at the wattage rating for the CPU you are interested in.

And as far as which is better, Intel or AMD, I guess it depends on who you ask. Here is an AMD shot over the bow:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... TKhf__X7Tq
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Leo

Post by Leo »

I was chatting with a Best Buy employee. He was giving his reasons for liking Intel. Optane doesn't do much he said. I told him I want Ryzen 3 coming later this year.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Leo wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:14 pm Does AMD CPUs generate a lot more heat than intel?

Does Intel use higher quality parts?
Q1: It depends on the CPU. The 9900K runs very hot, but it also is the fastest gaming CPU. Best single core performance.

Q2: Intel was cutting corners to lower production cost. But they have stepped up their game since Ryzen. Both make good CPUs.

Intel and AMD make good CPUs. The one to pick depends on what you want from your computer. If you want the fastest cores go with Intel for gaming. Best bang for the buck, and higher core counts you go with AMD.

This could change with Ryzen 3000. And change again when Intel releases their 10 nm CPUs at the end of the year.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
Geonerd

Post by Geonerd »

AMD's next-generation Ryzen chips, due to hit the shelves in a few months, should have excellent performance-per-watt, possibly significantly better than Intel's offerings. Watch the first 4 or five minutes of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g39dpcdzTvk

These chips will almost certainly cost less for equal performance.

The current Ryzen chips are, I think, close to equal with Intel on a performance-per-watt basis. At least to the point that it's not worth worrying about.

As for 'cheaper parts,' I'm really not sure what you mean. TSMC will be fabricating the chips using one of the the world's most advanced chip production facilities.
Leo

Post by Leo »

Thanks everybody for the comments. I was mostly concerned about AMD running to hot. I don't think I need to worry about it.
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

Leo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:49 am Thanks everybody for the comments. I was mostly concerned about AMD running to hot. I don't think I need to worry about it.
Well, current Intel and AMD 16 core cpus produce more than 150 Watt thermal power under load.
Therefore some people prefer an all in one water cooling solution, e.g.

https://www.newegg.com/Water-Liquid-Coo ... ory/ID-575

--
Srdja
Last edited by smatovic on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo

Post by Leo »

smatovic wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:04 pm
Leo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:49 am Thanks everybody for the comments. I was mostly concerned about AMD running to hot. I don't think I need to worry about it.
Well, current Intel and AMD 16 core cpus produce more than 150 Watt thermal power under load.

https://www.newegg.com/Water-Liquid-Coo ... ?Tid=65757

--
Srdja
Right. With that many cores I would do that.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Leo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:12 pm

--
Srdja
You do this cooling solution and will be very disappointed.

If setup correctly the amd 16 core will score over 8000 on cinebench r20. I score 8063. And this is the best score of any CPU under $1000. The 9900k scores around 5000.

But you have use the correct AIO. Or you will be stuck with stock speed of about 6600.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
Leo

Post by Leo »

mwyoung wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:17 pm
Leo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:12 pm

--
Srdja
You do this cooling solution and will be very disappointed.

If setup correctly the amd 16 core will score over 8000 on cinebench r20. I score 8063. And this is the best score of any CPU under $1000. The 9900k scores around 5000.

But you have use the correct AIO. Or you will be stuck with stock speed of about 6600.
What is AIO?