Wasp 3.60 available (for DGT Pi too, for chess computer lovers)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
AdminX
Posts: 5294
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Acworth, GA
Contact:

Re: Wasp 3.60 available (for DGT Pi too, for chess computer lovers)

Post by AdminX » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:58 pm

Okay,

I know I arrived late to the show. :) However my Raspberry Pi was delivered today and I installed the V201 version. Setup a Wifi connection and have some engines installed including Wasp and CT800. My question is do I have to edit a file so that Wasp and CT800 are usable? I am able to use the default 8 by placing the extra black queen on any of the 8 6th rank squares.

Thanks in advance.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
__________________________________________________________________
Ted Summers

User avatar
Scally
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:34 pm
Location: Bermondsey, London
Full name: Alan Cooper
Contact:

Re: Wasp 3.60 available (for DGT Pi too, for chess computer lovers)

Post by Scally » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:30 am

Hi,

Assuming these engines are installed correctly, you should see wasp360 and ct800 plus .uci files of the same name in /opt/picochess/engines/armv7l
If so, then again assuming you don’t own a DGT Pi or a Revelation II DGT board (where you can select the engines via the menus) you have 2 options.

1) reduce the number of engines to 8 so you select them via the spare black queen and reboot. To do this you can edit /opt/picochess/engines/armv7l/engines.ini and either delete the reference of those engines you don’t want, or comment them out by placing a # in front of the engine name and all the lines below associated with that engine.

2) edit /opt/picochess/picochess.ini and alter the engine name to the engine you want to play and reboot. i.e. this line near the bottom of the file: ‘engine = engines/armv7l/a-stockf’ Change a-stockf (or other engine name) to ct800 or wasp360, this has to be the exact filename in ‘opt/picochess/engines/armv7l’ of the engine you want to play. You can then select the level using the spare black queen on the 5th rank.

I hope this makes sense, please ask if you need more assistance.

Al.
Alan Cooper
My Chess Computers

User avatar
AdminX
Posts: 5294
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Acworth, GA
Contact:

Re: Wasp 3.60 available (for DGT Pi too, for chess computer lovers)

Post by AdminX » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:34 pm

Scally wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:30 am
Hi,

Assuming these engines are installed correctly, you should see wasp360 and ct800 plus .uci files of the same name in /opt/picochess/engines/armv7l
If so, then again assuming you don’t own a DGT Pi or a Revelation II DGT board (where you can select the engines via the menus) you have 2 options.

1) reduce the number of engines to 8 so you select them via the spare black queen and reboot. To do this you can edit /opt/picochess/engines/armv7l/engines.ini and either delete the reference of those engines you don’t want, or comment them out by placing a # in front of the engine name and all the lines below associated with that engine.

2) edit /opt/picochess/picochess.ini and alter the engine name to the engine you want to play and reboot. i.e. this line near the bottom of the file: ‘engine = engines/armv7l/a-stockf’ Change a-stockf (or other engine name) to ct800 or wasp360, this has to be the exact filename in ‘opt/picochess/engines/armv7l’ of the engine you want to play. You can then select the level using the spare black queen on the 5th rank.

I hope this makes sense, please ask if you need more assistance.

Al.
Thanks for your assistance. I had forgot to do a Chmod to change the file attributes. I had the files in their correct locations. everything is working now. :D It been a while since I last used linux.
Attachments
working.jpg
working.jpg (238.23 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
__________________________________________________________________
Ted Summers

User avatar
Scally
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:34 pm
Location: Bermondsey, London
Full name: Alan Cooper
Contact:

Re: Wasp 3.60 available (for DGT Pi too, for chess computer lovers)

Post by Scally » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:00 pm

Nice....

And you’ve got the Webserver working too, always looks good when you have company 😉

You can add your name and ELO in the /opt/picochess/picochess.ini file too, these will be reflected in the Webserver and pgn:

pgn-user = Scally
pgn-elo = 1650

See the picochess.ini.example in the same folder.

Al.
Alan Cooper
My Chess Computers

User avatar
AdminX
Posts: 5294
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Acworth, GA
Contact:

Re: Wasp 3.60 available (for DGT Pi too, for chess computer lovers)

Post by AdminX » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:43 am

Scally wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:00 pm
Nice....

And you’ve got the Webserver working too, always looks good when you have company 😉

You can add your name and ELO in the /opt/picochess/picochess.ini file too, these will be reflected in the Webserver and pgn:

pgn-user = Scally
pgn-elo = 1650

See the picochess.ini.example in the same folder.

Al.
Hi Allen,

Thanks for the tip. I completed my first game with Wasp 3.60 (1556). I must have underestimated it based on the estimated elo and soon found myself in a bit of trouble there for a moment. I will tell you this, I don't think the estimated elo is correct as it's play felt much stronger than 1556. In fact I would call 1556 a bit of a sandbagger elo.

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
__________________________________________________________________
Ted Summers

User avatar
Scally
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:34 pm
Location: Bermondsey, London
Full name: Alan Cooper
Contact:

Re: Wasp 3.60 available (for DGT Pi too, for chess computer lovers)

Post by Scally » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:17 am

Hi Ted,

I agree. Wasp is 3028 on the latest CCRL list, I have it at 2845 on my Raspberry Pi 3b+. The wasp.uci code shows the top level at 2654 191 elo lower. So 1556 could be 1765, unless there’s an equation to work out the levels difference rather than deduct 191 throughout.


Al.
Alan Cooper
My Chess Computers

jstanback
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:14 pm
Location: Colorado, USA
Full name: John Stanback

Re: Wasp 3.60 available (for DGT Pi too, for chess computer lovers)

Post by jstanback » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:35 pm

Scally wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:17 am
Hi Ted,

I agree. Wasp is 3028 on the latest CCRL list, I have it at 2845 on my Raspberry Pi 3b+. The wasp.uci code shows the top level at 2654 191 elo lower. So 1556 could be 1765, unless there’s an equation to work out the levels difference rather than deduct 191 throughout.


Al.
Here are the equations I used to convert between Elo and nodes/sec and a table showing the nps for 100 Elo intervals. Frank and I started by fixing the Elo for 1.6M nps at 2925 based on the CEGT rating list and Franks rating list, so I guess it would make sense to add about 100 to the estimated Elo for comparison to CCRL. Frank and I ran some games with various dedicated machines such as Fidelity Excellence and Mach III which I used to fit the formula. We used much lower ratings for the dedicated machines than the companies used for advertising :) I'm not at all sure how accurate the estimated Elo is.

Elo = 111*LN(nps-20) + 1337
nps = EXP((Elo-1337)/111) + 20

Elo NPS
1500 24
1600 31
1700 46
1800 85
1900 180
2000 413
2100 987
2200 2400
2300 5879
2400 14443
2500 35527
2600 87431
2700 215211
2800 529780
2900 1304195
3000 3210664

John

User avatar
Scally
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:34 pm
Location: Bermondsey, London
Full name: Alan Cooper
Contact:

Re: Wasp 3.60 available (for DGT Pi too, for chess computer lovers)

Post by Scally » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:28 pm

Hi John,

Thanks very much for your explanation and especially for the Raspberry Pi binary of your Engine.

Al.
Alan Cooper
My Chess Computers

User avatar
AdminX
Posts: 5294
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Acworth, GA
Contact:

Re: Wasp 3.60 available (for DGT Pi too, for chess computer lovers)

Post by AdminX » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:36 pm

Here is a game versus Chess Ultra with Wasp 3.60 running on an Raspberry Pi 3b+



Video:
https://youtu.be/yenRECqYjjc
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
__________________________________________________________________
Ted Summers

mephisto
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:10 am
Location: England

Re: Wasp 3.60 available (for DGT Pi too, for chess computer lovers)

Post by mephisto » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:54 am

Thanks Frank

I have it running on my Italian Certabo electronic chess board along with CT800 which has to be my favourite AI chess opponent of all time along with ChessGenius.

Just a personal preference but why would someone like John abandon such an iconic name like Zarkov?

Regards
Bryan
What's my next move? - to the fridge for another beer !!

Post Reply