Looking for R. Scharnagl FEN editor

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
Guenther
Posts: 2953
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:33 am
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Full name: Guenther Simon
Contact:

Re: Looking for R. Scharnagl FEN editor

Post by Guenther » Thu May 30, 2019 9:47 am

Roland Chastain wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:23 am
Norbert Raimund Leisner wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:06 am
Smirfoglot WB converter http://home.hccnet.nl/h.g.muller/smirf.html
Yes, I use Smirfoglot. Thank you for the link. I downloaded the source code to study it.

I tried to play a FRC game against SMIRF in Winboard: there is a message box saying that the "variant is not yet implemented".
Only used it for regular chess so far. I remember though that there surely were changes in WB how to add variants,
so may be Smirf currently won't work anymore with it? HGM hopefully will answer here.

Note that there was also some disagreement about the chess960 FENs, which resulted in at least three! different ways
to describe the FENs: Shredder-FEN, X-Fen (Smirf) and the way WB and most other GUIs handle it now.
Current foe list count : [91]
http://rwbc-chess.de/chronology.htm

User avatar
Roland Chastain
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:07 am
Location: France
Full name: Roland Chastain
Contact:

Re: Looking for R. Scharnagl FEN editor

Post by Roland Chastain » Thu May 30, 2019 11:15 am

Guenther wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:47 am
Roland Chastain wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:23 am
Norbert Raimund Leisner wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:06 am
Smirfoglot WB converter http://home.hccnet.nl/h.g.muller/smirf.html
Yes, I use Smirfoglot. Thank you for the link. I downloaded the source code to study it.

I tried to play a FRC game against SMIRF in Winboard: there is a message box saying that the "variant is not yet implemented".
Only used it for regular chess so far. I remember though that there surely were changes in WB how to add variants,
so may be Smirf currently won't work anymore with it? HGM hopefully will answer here.

Note that there was also some disagreement about the chess960 FENs, which resulted in at least three! different ways
to describe the FENs: Shredder-FEN, X-Fen (Smirf) and the way WB and most other GUIs handle it now.
Indeed, it would be interesting to hear HGM on that issue.

By the way, I know now where I found the link to the FEN editor: it's on this page.

Norbert Raimund Leisner
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 2:57 pm
Location: Augsburg - Germany

Re: Looking for R. Scharnagl FEN editor

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner » Thu May 30, 2019 11:54 am

For normal chess + Gothic , the Smirfoglot-WB-converter works on WinBoard 4.8.0 - but Scharnagl´s invention is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capablanca_Random_Chess

User avatar
Roland Chastain
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:07 am
Location: France
Full name: Roland Chastain
Contact:

Re: Looking for R. Scharnagl FEN editor

Post by Roland Chastain » Thu May 30, 2019 3:27 pm

Norbert Raimund Leisner wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:54 am
For normal chess + Gothic , the Smirfoglot-WB-converter works on WinBoard 4.8.0 - but Scharnagl´s invention is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capablanca_Random_Chess
Thank you for the information. I got the answer to my question.

If I had time, I would like to make (as a programming exercise) a UCI console interface for Smirf, on the model of Smirfoglot. It's a pity that the source code of Smirf is lost. :cry:

User avatar
Roland Chastain
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:07 am
Location: France
Full name: Roland Chastain
Contact:

Re: Looking for R. Scharnagl FEN editor

Post by Roland Chastain » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:55 pm

Roland Chastain wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:27 pm
If I had time, I would like to make (as a programming exercise) a UCI console interface for Smirf, on the model of Smirfoglot.
Finally I found time (and kind help of H.G. Muller), and I am very glad to present Smirf UCI, written in Pascal. 8-)

There is an alpha release. Comments are welcome.

The technical discussion has started here.

User avatar
Roland Chastain
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:07 am
Location: France
Full name: Roland Chastain
Contact:

Re: Looking for R. Scharnagl FEN editor

Post by Roland Chastain » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:55 am

Found another (?) version of the FEN editor here.

I would like to find other versions of SmirfEngine.dll. For now I have BC-173g-X (coming with GUI 1.9.3) and BC-180e (GUI 2.5.0). If ever someone has a different version on his hard disk... Maybe it would be useful to ask the question also in a German-speaking forum.

tmokonen
Posts: 1019
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Looking for R. Scharnagl FEN editor

Post by tmokonen » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:27 pm

I have uploaded a few different SmirfEngine.dll versions here:

http://tonyschess.x10host.com/Smirfs.rar

Included versions are:
BC-163f
BC-166c
BC-168h
BC-175o
BC-175p
BC-176f-2
BC-176f-5
BC-178n

User avatar
Roland Chastain
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:07 am
Location: France
Full name: Roland Chastain
Contact:

Re: Looking for R. Scharnagl FEN editor

Post by Roland Chastain » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:04 pm

tmokonen wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:27 pm
I have uploaded a few different SmirfEngine.dll versions here:

http://tonyschess.x10host.com/Smirfs.rar

Included versions are:
BC-163f
BC-166c
BC-168h
BC-175o
BC-175p
BC-176f-2
BC-176f-5
BC-178n
Great! Thank you very much.

User avatar
Roland Chastain
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:07 am
Location: France
Full name: Roland Chastain
Contact:

Re: Looking for R. Scharnagl FEN editor

Post by Roland Chastain » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:41 pm

Roland Chastain wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:55 am
Found another (?) version of the FEN editor here.
After verification, it is indeed another, more recent version (2.3.3, while the other is 1.3.5). By the way, the 10x8 board is disabled if the copy isn't registered.

I tried the different versions of the DLL. Some of them don't work on my machine because I don't have some files (Borland packages). But the most recent versions are working. So I think that I will add in Smirf UCI an option to select the version of the engine. 8-)

Post Reply