link to the 1800s

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lkaufman

link to the 1800s

Post by lkaufman »

I'm writing a new chess openings book for NIC, full of the latest games thru Norway 2019, with analysis by Komodo and Lc0. When I come to the Hanham defense (variation of Philidor's defense), I cite a game in which Mr. Hanham, a top player of the Steinitz era, played his defense in 1898, losing to Harold M. Phillips. Incredible as it sounds, Mr. Phillips was my first chess teacher (yes, the same guy!!)!
Komodo rules!
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: link to the 1800s

Post by zullil »

lkaufman wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:50 pm I'm writing a new chess openings book for NIC, full of the latest games thru Norway 2019, with analysis by Komodo and Lc0. When I come to the Hanham defense (variation of Philidor's defense), I cite a game in which Mr. Hanham, a top player of the Steinitz era, played his defense in 1898, losing to Harold M. Phillips. Incredible as it sounds, Mr. Phillips was my first chess teacher (yes, the same guy!!)!
[pgn][Event "Dobbs Ferry"] [Site "Dobbs Ferry, NY USA"] [Date "1898.07.02"] [EventDate "?"] [Round "1"] [Result "1-0"] [White "Harold Meyer Phillips"] [Black "James Moore Hanham"] [ECO "C41"] [WhiteElo "?"] [BlackElo "?"] [PlyCount "67"] 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 Nd7 4.Bc4 c6 5.Bb3 Be7 6.Be3 Ngf6 7.Nc3 O-O 8.Qd3 b5 9.Ne2 a6 10.O-O c5 11.dxc5 dxc5 12.c4 b4 13.Rfd1 Qc7 14.Ng3 Nb6 15.Qe2 a5 16.Bc2 a4 17.b3 a3 18.Nh4 g6 19.Bh6 Re8 20.h3 Ng4 21.hxg4 Bxh4 22.Nf1 Re6 23.g5 f6 24.Qd2 Bxg5 25.Bxg5 fxg5 26.Qxg5 Bd7 27.Ne3 Rf8 28.Rd3 Nc8 29.Rad1 Nd6 30.Nd5 Qb8 31.Ne7+ Kg7 32.Nf5+ Rxf5 33.exf5 Rf6 34.Rxd6 1-0[/pgn]
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

lkaufman wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:50 pm I'm writing a new chess openings book for NIC, full of the latest games thru Norway 2019, with analysis by Komodo and Lc0. When I come to the Hanham defense (variation of Philidor's defense), I cite a game in which Mr. Hanham, a top player of the Steinitz era, played his defense in 1898, losing to Harold M. Phillips. Incredible as it sounds, Mr. Phillips was my first chess teacher (yes, the same guy!!)!
:shock:
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Well, he did live an incredible 93 years, passing in 1967. Mr. Phillips was 24 in 1898. The only two people I can recall being born ( not counting the rich famous) in the 1800's were my maternal grandparents - both born in 1892. I had known a man born in 1919, who could distinctly remember being with his great-grandmother who born around 1830 - I thought that was pretty cool. So yes, Mr Phillips being your first chess teacher is pretty cool as well, especially now that you are a GM - I'm sure that is is bringing a smile to Mr Phillips.

Titles of Master Emeritus were conferred to players who performed at the master level prior to 1921 in the 4th National Rating USCF rating list published in 1952. The players included Jacob Bernstein, Roy Black, Adolph Fink, Albert Fox, Herman Hahlbohm, Hermann Helms, Lewis Isaacs, Charles Jacobs, Abraham Kupchik, Edward Lasker, W.R. Lovegrove, William Napier, Frank E. Perkins, Harold Phillips, William Ruth, Morris Shapiro, Sydney Sharp, and I.S. Turover.

source: https://www.chess.com/article/view/the- ... ting-lists
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

MikeB wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:58 pm
Well, he did live an incredible 93 years, passing in 1967. Mr. Phillips was 24 in 1898. The only two people I can recall being born ( not counting the rich famous) in the 1800's were my maternal grandparents - both born in 1892. I had known a man born in 1919, who could distinctly remember being with his great-grandmother who born around 1830 - I thought that was pretty cool. So yes, Mr Phillips being your first chess teacher is pretty cool as well, especially now that you are a GM - I'm sure that is is bringing a smile to Mr Phillips.

Titles of Master Emeritus were conferred to players who performed at the master level prior to 1921 in the 4th National Rating USCF rating list published in 1952. The players included Jacob Bernstein, Roy Black, Adolph Fink, Albert Fox, Herman Hahlbohm, Hermann Helms, Lewis Isaacs, Charles Jacobs, Abraham Kupchik, Edward Lasker, W.R. Lovegrove, William Napier, Frank E. Perkins, Harold Phillips, William Ruth, Morris Shapiro, Sydney Sharp, and I.S. Turover.

Thanks for the details. I met Edward Lasker, whose most famous game was played in 1912, and had some instruction from I.M. Norman Whitaker, who was probably second to Edward Lasker among American players around 1920. But Mr.Phillips was the only chessplayer I knew who was of master strength when Steinitz was still active in the 1800s. I think it is likely that Mr. Phillips played against or at least met Steinitz, but I don't know that. He taught me the king and rook checkmate around 1956 when I was 8, and I did manage to win a serious (private) game from him when he was close to 90 and I was perhaps 2000 Elo level or so. He was the organizer of the famous NY 1924 tournament, and when already in his sixties was the first president of the U.S. Chess Federation. My link with him was that my mother and his daughter were best friends and roommates in college.
Komodo rules!
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

lkaufman wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:48 am

Thanks for the details. I met Edward Lasker, whose most famous game was played in 1912, and had some instruction from I.M. Norman Whitaker, who was probably second to Edward Lasker among American players around 1920. But Mr.Phillips was the only chessplayer I knew who was of master strength when Steinitz was still active in the 1800s. I think it is likely that Mr. Phillips played against or at least met Steinitz, but I don't know that. He taught me the king and rook checkmate around 1956 when I was 8, and I did manage to win a serious (private) game from him when he was close to 90 and I was perhaps 2000 Elo level or so. He was the organizer of the famous NY 1924 tournament, and when already in his sixties was the first president of the U.S. Chess Federation. My link with him was that my mother and his daughter were best friends and roommates in college.
+1 Amazing!
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

lkaufman wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:48 am

A Recollection of the First Official World Champion
by the Only Living Chessplayer Who Remembers Him.
Harold M. Phillips is the Grand Old Man of Chess. Champion of Greater New York in 1895, he still plays an imaginative and very strong game, wining the brilliancy prize for a Queen sacrifice made in the New York State Championship just a few years ago. Former President of the U. S. Chess Federation, he has organized more teams, exhibitions and tournaments than practically any other living chess player. Always a rebel and forever a fighter, Mr. Phillips has been practicing law for over a half century and still continues to practice daily in his downtown New York City office.
Apparently, in 1963, he had he recalled playing Steinitz in two simultaneous games ( both games drawn), but did not speak to him. These games were played in 1894 as a sophomore in college.

A few years later, he did run into Steinitz apparently had a nice conversation about Morphy. But sadly, a few years after that meeting, it does appear that Steinitz suffered from dementia late in life and died on Ward's Island as a pauper.

My Conversation With Steinitz
by. Harold M. Phillips
The first time I ever saw William Steinitz was during his match against Emanuel Lasker for the championship of the world, in 1894. I was a sophomore at the City College of New York at the time, and since the match was held at the Manhattan Chess Club, of which I was not a member, I couldn't go to see it. I was curious, though. The name "Steinitz" had been a household word to me as far back as my childhood in Lithuania. I remember watching my father and a friend play (though I didn't understand the moves, I was intrigued by the movement of the Knight) and often a dispute would arise, whereupon one or the other would exclaim: "Who do you think I am? Steinitz?"
Therefore, I was the bitterest enemy of Lasker, merely a young "boy" --- who dared to challenge the great Steinitz for the world's championship. This was a criminal acr and I was determined to see Lasker.
After college hours I went to the Manhattan Ches Club. I wouldn't dare go into the club since I wasn't a member. As I stood there, a gentleman came out and noticing I was embarrassed asked what I was doing there. When I told him I was waiting for the match game to be over so I could catch a glimpse of the participants, he was amused and interested in me. When he determined I was a chess player, he took me inside and since I was quite small for my age, brought me to the foot of the table where the great match between Steinitz and Lasker was being played. It was here that I had the first opportunity to view these two great immortals and little did I know at the time that Emanuel Lasker would eventually become my lifelong friend.
After that, I played Steinitz in two simultaneous exhibitions that he gave, both games being drawn, but I never had the opportunity to speak to him.
In 1896 (or perhaps 1897, I'm not quite certain) I walked in the Manhattan Chess Club and Steinitz was seated at a table with several gentlemen. After a few minutes passed, they all left with the exception of the Champion. He was aloof, yet friendly, in that he would apparently never approach anyone he didn't know, yet would accept a friendly conversation if he was approached. I went to him and began a conversation by telling him my childhood memories about his name being used almost synonymously with the word :chess."
Steinitz was at least 10 feet in height at the time or at least, that was the impression that I had of him. I was awed. He really was not someone to be approached as I did -- he was not an ordinary mortal but a Superman. Actually, though, he appeared to be an assistant to the Kaiser, he was dignified and pleasant. He was a striking figure. He had a massive head with a forehead that was almost a sculpture of a Greek god. His shoulders and muscular arms would have done credit to a champion fighter. Unfortunately, right below his chest there was a curious shortening of all his physical proportions. His body was short and though his legs were not normal in size, they were very powerful looking. He appeared to be a very strong man and no doubt he was, if he had to exert the upper portion of his body. He always had a cane and there was evidence of a limp but not too pronounced. He walked very slowly as though realizing that he had a handicap. Seated, however, there was no evidence of a handicap.
Our conversation lasted for about an hour. He told me about his famed conversation with Morphy, during which it had been publicized that the subject of chess had never been mentioned. Steinitz said that he and Morphy had "talked about general things and and we touched upon chess only as an educational and cultural activity but nothing in relation to it as a calling or a profession or as a science or an art." Steinitz went of to say that "20 minutes passed between us and I waited for Paul Morphy to start any conversation along that line, for example, who was the greatest player of the day, or who he found the most difficult opponent during his own chess career but he never went on that subject. After 20 or 25 minutes I just said goodbye, and being very courteous, led me to the door, shook hands, said goodbye and that was the first and last I ever saw of Paul Morphy. I did find that everything that was said of him was correct: he was a gentleman, soft-spoken, kindly, but for some reason felt that chess was no blessing. And who knows, maybe hewas right."
Steinitz talked excellent English with a very pronounced Austrian accent but a truly remarkable command of the English language. His grammar was correct and his rhetoric cultivated. I remember, however, that his voice was very low and I had to listen intently to what he was saying.
Steinitz talked about the problem a champion chess player had in order to earn enough money to live in comfort with dignity. He was having this problem in America but things were not much better in Europe. He was always having to depend on someone running a tournament, clearly indicating that it was being run so that Steinitz could pay his grocery bills. Still, he said he liked America. In Europe there was always the possibility that a nobleman would take him under his wing but he never liked that type of patronage. He spoke favorably of the Manhattan Chess Club and the opportunities they had given him to play in tournaments and exhibitions.
We taked of other things -- living in Europe as compared to the United States and the conversation was a very pleasant one. It got to be late int he afternoon, near the dinner hour, we said goodbye and he left.
I saw him a few times after that but within months it was clear that Steinitz was not his old self. He no longer sought exhibitions or matches. He gave the appearance of being queer, crotchety and cranky. A benefit was given for him and arout $700 or $800 was collected and given to him and he quieted down for a while, but not for long. Within a year after that he came under the control of the authorities as a mental case and about year after that he died on Ward's Island as a pauper. That is my recollection of Steinitz.
source: https://www.chess.com/blog/batgirl/my-c ... h-steinitz
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

His NYT obit:

https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesm ... eNumber=89

He was also the lawyer that defended Morton Sobell , who was charged along with Julius and Ethel Rosenberg in the espionage case in 1951.

Morton served 18 years and was released on parole in 1969 at the age of 62. He passed away December 26, 2018 at 101 years of age. Before his death , he admitted he provided secrets to the Soviet Union, but it was during the war when they were still considered allies. In 2018, he admitted he was a committed communist at the time of the events, but in 2018 he told the Wall Street Journal he had betted on the wrong horse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morton_Sobell

So you have all sorts of degrees that are close to history. My only claim to fame is that as young man, working for a caterer, I had served Ronald Reagan, Jackie Kennedy Onasisis and the Philadelphia Don, Angelo Bruno (not all at the same party, but 3 different affairs LOL)

The first two are obvious, the last one probably not so much:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelo_Bruno
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Wow, thank you so much for all this information about Mr. Phillips. I had heard that he had been NY champion in the 1890s but didn't know the details. It was nice to have confirmation that he knew and played against Steinitz, even in a simul. I wonder if I am the only living chessplayer who played against someone who played Steinitz? If I'm not, in a few years I probably will be.
Komodo rules!
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

lkaufman wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:22 am Wow, thank you so much for all this information about Mr. Phillips. I had heard that he had been NY champion in the 1890s but didn't know the details. It was nice to have confirmation that he knew and played against Steinitz, even in a simul. I wonder if I am the only living chessplayer who played against someone who played Steinitz? If I'm not, in a few years I probably will be.
I think you would be the odds-on favorite ;>)