Optimizing Resources for Ponder Match Lc0 and A/B Engines..

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mwyoung

Optimizing Resources for Ponder Match Lc0 and A/B Engines..

Post by mwyoung »

I will explain my method for running ponder matches on a AMD 2950x with 8 dimms of quad channel memory, and a 970 Evo Plus for Table bases. This method works best with low utilization NN engines on my system configuration. You must test this first on your system configuration. As there are other optimizations and methods that may work better on other systems. And I hope this will clear up some of the confusion with some members.

1. Optimize the OS and background programs to utilize the minimum amount of system resources. On my system the I run at 1% at idle.
System Idle Process.jpg
2. Set the A/B engine to run at below-normal priority. This method is generally better then core cutting the processor. And eliminates noise from the other processes.

3. Setup the ponder on match as you would setup a ponder off match. With the same amount of threads. No freaking out here, remember threads are not processes. And you are using process and thread management to optimize the CPU instead of core cutting.
Ponder Match Process Lc0 and Stockfish.jpg
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.