Congratulations to Jon Dart

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Congratulations to Jon Dart

Post by Graham Banks »

Arasan 21.3 64-bit has broken into the CCRL 40/40 free engines top twelve crosstable, ahead of Houdini 1.5a 64-bit, Schooner 2.0.34 64-bit,Strelka 5.5 64-bit, Nirvanachess 2.4 64-bit and Critter 1.6a 64-bit.

gbanksnz at gmail.com
Dann Corbit

Re: Congratulations to Jon Dart

Post by Dann Corbit »

fantastic news, since Jon Dart is one of the true heroes of computer chess.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
jdart

Post by jdart »

Thanks. I am working on a new version which is about +30 elo at present.

Really the progress I have made would not be possible if it were not for "standing on the shoulders of giants." There are a lot of talented chess programmers, many in this forum, and many are sharing their work via open source. That is very different from when Arasan was first begun and most programs were closed source.

Also important IMO is a testing regime. Again, when I started, agile development and continuous testing was not something that was established. In chess I think it was Rybka and later Houdini that first popularized fast time-control game testing over other methods.

--Jon
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Graham Banks wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:45 am Arasan 21.3 64-bit has broken into the CCRL 40/40 free engines top twelve crosstable, ahead of Houdini 1.5a 64-bit, Schooner 2.0.34 64-bit,Strelka 5.5 64-bit, Nirvanachess 2.4 64-bit and Critter 1.6a 64-bit.

+Congrats to Jon ! Thanks for letting us know Graham.
voffka
Full name: Volodymyr Shcherbyna

Post by voffka »

Congrats Jon! Also thanks for the detailed programming guide at https://www.arasanchess.org/programr.shtml ! I find it very nice and helpful especially when I initially started learning chess programming!
Sergio Martinez

Post by Sergio Martinez »

Congrats Jon

Arasan is one of the oldest chess engines and one of my favourites :)
Member of the CCRL Group. Write me if you want I test your engine.
silentshark

Post by silentshark »

I agree. Congrats. I've never met Jon in person, but his postings are always constructive and helpful - seems like a top guy.

And I remember the days when Arasan was a weak little thing, and my program could kill it repeatedly. Not now!!

Congratulations, man :-)
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:31 am fantastic news, since Jon Dart is one of the true heroes of computer chess.
Congrats Jon Dart.....We All Love Arasan of Course and I try not to run any testing without some version of Arasan in my tourney crosstable! :D :wink:

ps: Arasan.. "A Thinking Chess Engine"
D Sceviour

Post by D Sceviour »

That is great news! However, I suppose I will have to issue an update for Schooner. :)
brianr

Post by brianr »

I would like to echo the above.
Moreover, Jon has shared source code for many years along with being an active and most helpful member of the computer chess community.