Cock de Gorter passed away

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
chrisw
Posts: 2188
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Re: Cock de Gorter passed away

Post by chrisw » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:12 pm

“She was asked what she had learned from the Holocaust, and she said that 10 percent of any population is cruel, no matter what, and that 10 percent is merciful, no matter what, and that the remaining 80 percent could be moved in either direction.”
—Kurt Vonnegut

Merciful probably isn’t the correct word, but Cock de Gorter always struck me as being naturally on the right side of this one. He was considered, thoughtful, scratched below the surface of things and stood up for what was right when he could have more easily gone with the mob. Respect.

lkaufman
Posts: 3756
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:15 am
Location: Maryland USA
Contact:

Re: Cock de Gorter passed away

Post by lkaufman » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:11 am

I was very sorry to hear this. In 2010 I was hospitalized in the Netherlands during a computer chess event, and he came to visit me there in the hospital, which I much appreciated. He will be missed by many.
Komodo rules!

sandro Necchi
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:18 pm

Re: Cock de Gorter passed away

Post by sandro Necchi » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:04 pm

Very sad news. He was a truly nice person and a great friend.
Sandro
Sandro Necchi

Andre van Ark
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:32 am
Location: Amersfoort
Contact:

Re: Cock de Gorter passed away

Post by Andre van Ark » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:36 pm

My condolences to his wife and family as well.

RIP Cock de Gorter and thank you for organizing the Aegon tournaments!!

Here is a link to one of the AEGON tournament held in 1995: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCtIF3Clpkk
http://www.vabs.nl/ burn out-begeleiding in Amersfoort

F. Bluemers
Posts: 860
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Nederland
Contact:

Re: Cock de Gorter passed away

Post by F. Bluemers » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:01 pm

This is sad news
My condoleances to the family.
Fonzy

MikeB
Posts: 3552
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am
Location: Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania

Re: Cock de Gorter passed away

Post by MikeB » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:36 pm

jkrabbenbos wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:41 pm
On June 16 2019 Cock de Gorter, former chairman of the CSVN, has passed away at 70. According to the little information I received, he was already ill for some time. He is well-known for the organisation of the Aegon tournaments in the nineties, computer chess opening books and reviews of computers and programs. On the CSVN website you can find a copy of the announcement in the newspapers (https://www.csvn.nl/index.php/verenigin ... -overleden)

May he rest in peace.

Jan Krabbenbos
My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

Leo
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:55 pm
Location: USA/Minnesota
Full name: Leo

Re: Cock de Gorter passed away

Post by Leo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:22 pm

lkaufman wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:11 am
I was very sorry to hear this. In 2010 I was hospitalized in the Netherlands during a computer chess event, and he came to visit me there in the hospital, which I much appreciated. He will be missed by many.
Wow. What a nice guy.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.

menniepals
Posts: 225
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:31 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Cock de Gorter passed away

Post by menniepals » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:18 pm

RIP

jkrabbenbos
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:06 am
Contact:

Re: Cock de Gorter passed away

Post by jkrabbenbos » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:02 am

This week an in memoriam was published in the Haagse Courant, the local newspaper for The Hague: https://www.ad.nl/dossier-van-wieg-tot- ... ~a54019ea/ (in Dutch). It includes a nice photo from Cock at one of the Aegon tournaments.
Regards,
Jan

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 4788
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Cock de Gorter passed away

Post by Rebel » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:47 am

Mooi artikel Jan.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Post Reply