Schooner Version 2.1

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Re: Schooner Version 2.1

Post by Guenther »

D Sceviour wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:51 pm
Guenther wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:04 pm BTW is it normal that it still gives a +3 eval when it is a forced exchange to available 5 men Syzygy?
(one time it played the move itself - one time opponent forced it one ply later)
Yes, this is normal. In the first game, the engine calculates for six pieces (not five) and scores accordingly with the move:

[d]8/5k2/PR6/5r2/8/3pK3/8/8 w - - 0 2

Then the GUI adjudicates using its 5-piece egtb. If the GUI uses adjudication, then the engine egtb has no effect. Syzygy support was mainly included for ICS tournaments, or where users do not adjudicate games. It can also be useful for endgame analysis.
I am not sure we understand each other correctly - CuteChess only adjudicates here given my Syzygy_5 path, when a given position appears, but I only used adjudication, because I thought both Schooner and ArasanX would use the Syzygy_5 also during search (ArasanX sure does), after I added the path to Schooners sc.ini file. Or do you mean Schooner only works the Syzygy 6 men in search?

48. Kxd3 +3.24/34 in the first game gives +3.24 for Kxd3 by Schooner which is a 5 man ending with the move Kxd3 played.

Code: Select all

book 0
#bookname ""
bookdepth 32
book_random 2
pickbest 1
hash 256Mb
phash 32Mb
cores 1
ponder off
display 8
syzygypath "C:\Syzygy_5"
syzygydepth 12
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
D Sceviour

Re: Schooner Version 2.1

Post by D Sceviour »

Guenther wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:27 am I am not sure we understand each other correctly - CuteChess only adjudicates here given my Syzygy_5 path, when a given position appears, but I only used adjudication, because I thought both Schooner and ArasanX would use the Syzygy_5 also during search (ArasanX sure does), after I added the path to Schooners sc.ini file. Or do you mean Schooner only works the Syzygy 6 men in search?

48. Kxd3 +3.24/34 in the first game gives +3.24 for Kxd3 by Schooner which is a 5 man ending with the move Kxd3 played.

Code: Select all

book 0
#bookname ""
bookdepth 32
book_random 2
pickbest 1
hash 256Mb
phash 32Mb
cores 1
ponder off
display 8
syzygypath "C:\Syzygy_5"
syzygydepth 12
Schooner does not use the Syzygy endgame WDL tablebases during the search. Syzygy tablebases use two types of files. The *.rtbw files are used during the search for WDL (win-draw-loss) probes. The *.rtbz files are used for DTZ (distance-to-zero) probes at the root. If you are interested in the discussion on WDL probes you can join here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71164

There may be something confusing in the sc.ini file you included here. The "syzygyDepth 12" is actually non-functional and can be deleted. It was included to stop eBomb questions on how to set the Syzygy depth.