buying a new computer

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Zenmastur
Posts: 487
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 6:28 am

Re: Rumored Threadripper pricing

Post by Zenmastur » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:44 pm

Wccftech has an article that included rumored naming and pricing for Third Gen Threadripper. The basics are:

AMD 3rd Gen Ryzen Threadripper Processor SKUs (Rumored):
CPU Name CPU Cores CPU Thread TDP Price
3990X/WX 64 Core 128 Thread ~280W $1799 US?
3980X/WX 48 Core 96 Thread ~280W $1499 US?
3970X/WX 32 Core 64 Thread ~250W $1299 US?
3960X 24 Core 48 Thread ~250W $999 US?

If this turns out to be true and , the pricing is accurate, Intels HEDT product stack will sit on the shelf collecting dust.

In the mean time Intel announced that they are going to skip 10nm on the desk top and go directly to 7nm in 2022. They just gave away the desktop market. 14nm parts have no chance against 7nm+ much less TSMC's 6nm and 5nm parts both of which will be out well before 2022. WTF are they thinking. They have effectivelive lost the desktop market, are in the process of losing the server market, are in the process of losing the HPC market, will be challenged in the mobile market once 7nm Zen 2 mobile chips arrive. I'm wondering what their plan is or if they have a plan at all.

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Dann Corbit
Posts: 10118
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Contact:

Re: buying a new computer

Post by Dann Corbit » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:53 pm

Without a doubt, those prices are low.
But even at double the price, they are a better buy.
The 3950 is $700 so the 24 core price might not be too far off (I expect $800 or more)
The current (gen 2) 32 core threadripper is $1800 for the 32 core version.
So I would expect a little more for the gen3, which is a lot faster.

If they sell at those prices (for example $1799 for the 64 core) I don't think they could keep up with supply because people would be going mad over them. {I would definitely buy more than one machine at those prices}

They already seem to be having some supply issues.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.

Zenmastur
Posts: 487
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 6:28 am

Re: buying a new computer

Post by Zenmastur » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:39 pm

Dann Corbit wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:53 pm
Without a doubt, those prices are low.
But even at double the price, they are a better buy.
The 3950 is $700 so the 24 core price might not be too far off (I expect $800 or more)
The current (gen 2) 32 core threadripper is $1800 for the 32 core version.
So I would expect a little more for the gen3, which is a lot faster.

If they sell at those prices (for example $1799 for the 64 core) I don't think they could keep up with supply because people would be going mad over them. {I would definitely buy more than one machine at those prices}

They already seem to be having some supply issues.
The 2970 are currently selling for as low as $950 so the 24-core part seems a given.

I was expecting around $1600 for the 32-core part (i.e. ~$200 less than the 2990wx) so $1300 seems a bit low.

When we see the 48 and 64 core parts I can't imagine them pricing them that low. But, on the other hand, I didn't expect prices as low as we've seen on all the other parts they've released. The other thing to remember is the WX parts CAN"T be overclocked. They are locked. So it may be that chiplets that aren't suitable for EPYC chips because of bad voltage scaling and very high power draw at higher boost clocks will be used. This would justify the low prices albeit at the cost of some performance loss vice EPYC chips. A good way to use chiplets that otherwise wouldn't find a home.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I need a new machine in the worst way. My current machine is giving me nothing but trouble. It's been rebooting on a regular basis to the point that it's almost unusable for long analysis sessions. The problem is it's hards to make a parts lists when the CPU's/MB's aren't even announced yet. I plan on making the CPU purchase the minute they go on sale, the MB/cooler/memory will depend on which CPU I can get. I hate to do it that way but I need a new machine ASAP!

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Albert Silver
Posts: 2861
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Re: buying a new computer

Post by Albert Silver » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:40 pm

Dann Corbit wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:53 pm
Without a doubt, those prices are low.
But even at double the price, they are a better buy.
The 3950 is $700 so the 24 core price might not be too far off (I expect $800 or more)
The current (gen 2) 32 core threadripper is $1800 for the 32 core version.
So I would expect a little more for the gen3, which is a lot faster.

If they sell at those prices (for example $1799 for the 64 core) I don't think they could keep up with supply because people would be going mad over them. {I would definitely buy more than one machine at those prices}

They already seem to be having some supply issues.
Watch for Black Friday prices on the second gen chips too. Last November I picked up a brand new 16-core first gen TR (1950x) for $405 from Newegg.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."

Dann Corbit
Posts: 10118
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Contact:

Re: buying a new computer

Post by Dann Corbit » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:43 pm

If I were Intel, I would buy TSMC
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.

Leo
Posts: 836
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:55 pm
Location: USA/Minnesota
Full name: Leo

Re: buying a new computer

Post by Leo » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:13 pm

Dann Corbit wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:53 pm
Without a doubt, those prices are low.
But even at double the price, they are a better buy.
The 3950 is $700 so the 24 core price might not be too far off (I expect $800 or more)
The current (gen 2) 32 core threadripper is $1800 for the 32 core version.
So I would expect a little more for the gen3, which is a lot faster.

If they sell at those prices (for example $1799 for the 64 core) I don't think they could keep up with supply because people would be going mad over them. {I would definitely buy more than one machine at those prices}

They already seem to be having some supply issues.
As a very small business owner, I would say what a great problem to have not being able to keep in stock your product because of huge sales.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.

Leo
Posts: 836
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:55 pm
Location: USA/Minnesota
Full name: Leo

Re: Rumored Threadripper pricing

Post by Leo » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:18 pm

Zenmastur wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:44 pm
Wccftech has an article that included rumored naming and pricing for Third Gen Threadripper. The basics are:

AMD 3rd Gen Ryzen Threadripper Processor SKUs (Rumored):
CPU Name CPU Cores CPU Thread TDP Price
3990X/WX 64 Core 128 Thread ~280W $1799 US?
3980X/WX 48 Core 96 Thread ~280W $1499 US?
3970X/WX 32 Core 64 Thread ~250W $1299 US?
3960X 24 Core 48 Thread ~250W $999 US?

If this turns out to be true and , the pricing is accurate, Intels HEDT product stack will sit on the shelf collecting dust.

In the mean time Intel announced that they are going to skip 10nm on the desk top and go directly to 7nm in 2022. They just gave away the desktop market. 14nm parts have no chance against 7nm+ much less TSMC's 6nm and 5nm parts both of which will be out well before 2022. WTF are they thinking. They have effectivelive lost the desktop market, are in the process of losing the server market, are in the process of losing the HPC market, will be challenged in the mobile market once 7nm Zen 2 mobile chips arrive. I'm wondering what their plan is or if they have a plan at all.

Regards,

Zenmastur
I was wondering what AMDs market share is. It sounds like in the last few years it has gone from 8% to 11% to 17%
Advanced Micro Devices fan.

Zenmastur
Posts: 487
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 6:28 am

Re: Rumored Threadripper pricing

Post by Zenmastur » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:08 am

Leo wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:18 pm
Zenmastur wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:44 pm
Wccftech has an article that included rumored naming and pricing for Third Gen Threadripper. The basics are:

AMD 3rd Gen Ryzen Threadripper Processor SKUs (Rumored):
CPU Name CPU Cores CPU Thread TDP Price
3990X/WX 64 Core 128 Thread ~280W $1799 US?
3980X/WX 48 Core 96 Thread ~280W $1499 US?
3970X/WX 32 Core 64 Thread ~250W $1299 US?
3960X 24 Core 48 Thread ~250W $999 US?

If this turns out to be true and , the pricing is accurate, Intels HEDT product stack will sit on the shelf collecting dust.

In the mean time Intel announced that they are going to skip 10nm on the desk top and go directly to 7nm in 2022. They just gave away the desktop market. 14nm parts have no chance against 7nm+ much less TSMC's 6nm and 5nm parts both of which will be out well before 2022. WTF are they thinking. They have effectivelive lost the desktop market, are in the process of losing the server market, are in the process of losing the HPC market, will be challenged in the mobile market once 7nm Zen 2 mobile chips arrive. I'm wondering what their plan is or if they have a plan at all.

Regards,

Zenmastur
I was wondering what AMDs market share is. It sounds like in the last few years it has gone from 8% to 11% to 17%
In desktop AMD has about 80% market share or so they say. Servers are up from <1% to 5% projected to go to 10%. Unknown for HPC systems, but AMD has had several large systems announced in the last few months, including the Frontier Exascale computer. They seem to be making progress on all fronts. This includes graphic cards sales. Recent figure show they are out selling NVidia cards by wide margins and their new HPC graphic card is sure to be a winner as it's to be used in Exascale computers. Couple this with recent wins in consoles and Microsoft Surface products and I'd say they are in the drivers seat.

As far as Intel buying TSMC, it sounds good on paper but FTC would likely block any move by Intel along these lines. Besides they aren't the only player as Samsung has a 5nm process / fab up and running as well as many others. There are several other players the could have an impact should conditions change.

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

DustyMonkey
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:11 pm

Re: Rumored Threadripper pricing

Post by DustyMonkey » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:29 am

Zenmastur wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:44 pm
WTF are they thinking.
Right now they are thinking "we're fucked"

5 years ago when they got stuck on 14nm they were thinking "these magic 3D trigates put us way ahead of the competition, so even though we know of no way to make 3D trigates work on 10nm, we are so far ahead..."

To frame this completely:

Intels current 14nm process no longer uses 3D trigates, because after 5+ years, they finally realized it was a dead end. One of their endless "tocks", I forget which one exactly, was moving back to a regular old FinFET design.

To be clear, Intel has the best 14nm process in the business, which is understandable since they have been on it so long.

What Intel didnt have is the practical engineering experience to overcome the ever decreasing yields as the process size shrinks. When TSMC started producing 10nm and later 7nm, AMD had the engineering experience to solve the yield problem (smaller chips.)

AMD has always been the problem solver.

Intel has another big issue, and thats its vertical integration. TSMC runs all its fabs 24/7/365 but Intel cannot rent out its fabs like TSMC does. TSMC is whats called a "pure play" fabricator, as they have no products of their own, so there is never a conflict of interest. With Intel there is always a conflict of interest.

smatovic
Posts: 909
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:18 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Full name: Srdja Matovic
Contact:

Re: Rumored Threadripper pricing

Post by smatovic » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:06 am

Wish to add that AMD spin off its fabs to GlobalFoundries in 2009, so they are free to choose a manufacturer.

Both, AMD and Intel did not enter the ARM mobile chips market, and by numbers, these are the ones who drive the new fabrication processes.

--
Srdja

Post Reply