a brief update - yet another name change

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MikeB

a brief update - yet another name change

Post by MikeB »

Hello chess friends,

Today I was made aware that my SF derivative "McCain"'s name was offensive to some folks. I made the name change at the time of McCain's passing as an honor to whom most Americans would consider an American hero. Nobody sent me an email, nobody got in my face, I literally stumbled across that sentiment while clicking through some posts here by random chance. I am appreciative that they were respectful of me and more or less kept their sentiments to themselves and really , did not make a stink about this at all, you would almost have to be a detective to figure this out. I am also now cognizant of their discomfort with the name of my engine and that bothers me. And things like that should not happen in chess, chess is universal around the world and no one should intentionally or unintentionally ,as in this case, feel any discomfort by the name of a chess engine.

So effective immediately, "McCain" will become "Burnzie", "Burnzie" was my father's nickname throughout his entire life, he was loved by all, had many friends and lived life to the fullest until his untimely passing in the year 2000 at the age of 70. To celebrate this name change , I created a logo for Burnzie, that my dad would have enjoyed - he had that sense of humor. It was derived from the King of the Lewis chess pieces discovered nearly 190 years ago in Scotland that were believed to be carved in the 12th century by an artist known as Margret the Adroit.

Source has been updated to reflect this change and it's in the new branch - burnzie

https://github.com/MichaelB7/Stockfish/tree/burnzie - there will be no release at this time.

Thank you all.

Official Logo:
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Re: a brief update - yet another name change

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Funny, I had just thought of suggesting in your other post in the programming forum that "Lewis" might also be a nice name for a chess program, and that you already had a logo for it with your new chess man. Lewis as the companion of Leela. I associate it also with Sgt. Lewis, deputy of Morse and later his own series but I don't know if he played chess in the series. More a thing for Morse, whose first name was Endeavour which also seems a good name :)
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Oh. McCain is the leading brand of frozen french fries and other potato products here. I had always thought you had named the engine after that. Fish & Chips fit together, after all! :wink:
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

MikeB wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:31 am Hello chess friends,

Today I was made aware that my SF derivative "McCain"'s name was offensive to some folks. I made the name change at the time of McCain's passing as an honor to whom most Americans would consider an American hero. Nobody sent me an email, nobody got in my face, I literally stumbled across that sentiment while clicking through some posts here by random chance. I am appreciative that they were respectful of me and more or less kept their sentiments to themselves and really , did not make a stink about this at all, you would almost have to be a detective to figure this out. I am also now cognizant of their discomfort with the name of my engine and that bothers me. And things like that should not happen in chess, chess is universal around the world and no one should intentionally or unintentionally ,as in this case, feel any discomfort by the name of a chess engine.

So effective immediately, "McCain" will become "Burnzie", "Burnzie" was my father's nickname throughout his entire life, he was loved by all, had many friends and lived life to the fullest until his untimely passing in the year 2000 at the age of 70. To celebrate this name change , I created a logo for Burnzie, that my dad would have enjoyed - he had that sense of humor. It was derived from the King of the Lewis chess pieces discovered nearly 190 years ago in Scotland that were believed to be carved in the 12th century by an artist known as Margret the Adroit.

Source has been updated to reflect this change and it's in the new branch - burnzie

https://github.com/MichaelB7/Stockfish/tree/burnzie - there will be no release at this time.

Thank you all.

Official Logo:
Good luck with your program. Probably the name and perhaps Scotland connection, would cause Robert Burns to spring to mind. He is well liked all over the world. Poet of the People is not a bad title at all. Something new I learned today ....

“Burns became the "people's poet" of Russia. In Imperial Russia Burns was translated into Russian and became a source of inspiration for the ordinary, oppressed Russian people. In Soviet Russia, he was elevated as the archetypal poet of the people. As a great admirer of the egalitarian ethos behind the American and French Revolutions who expressed his own egalitarianism in poems such as his "Birthday Ode for George Washington" or his "Is There for Honest Poverty" (commonly known as "A Man's a Man for a' that"), Burns was well placed for endorsement by the Communist regime as a "progressive" artist. A new translation of Burns begun in 1924 by Samuil Marshak proved enormously popular, selling over 600,000 copies. The USSR honoured Burns with a commemorative stamp in 1956. He remains popular in Russia after the fall of the Soviet Union.”
ChiefPushesWood
Full name: Chief PushesWood

Post by ChiefPushesWood »

People are so freaking snowflake. Triggered by the least little thing. I'll just keep my compile as McCain. Edit: Maybe I'll recompile and name it Trump.

Chief
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Good luck with your renamed engine, Mike. The new name is quite alright. :)

Cheers!
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

MikeB wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:31 am Hello chess friends,

Thank you all.

Official Logo:
Well......from 'McBrain' to.....'McCain'.....To Burnzie? Really? Thats a Whole lot of name changes over one year!
Methinks its some kind of RECORD....lmao!! :D :wink:

ps. You sure your not trying to confuse the public?
McBrain was best...
Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Post by Paloma »

> McBrain was best...

+1
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

How about Coelacanth, for the modern yet dinosaur version of stockfish?
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

supersharp77 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:59 am ...

Well......from 'McBrain' to.....'McCain'.....To Burnzie? Really? Thats a Whole lot of name changes over one year!
Methinks its some kind of RECORD....lmao!! :D :wink:

ps. You sure your not trying to confuse the public?
McBrain was best...
+1
I don't like "Burnzie" because "rnz" is difficult to pronounce.
All famous brands are easy to pronounce.