a brief update - yet another name change

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: a brief update - yet another name change

Post by zullil »

Vinvin wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:54 pm
supersharp77 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:59 am ...

Well......from 'McBrain' to.....'McCain'.....To Burnzie? Really? Thats a Whole lot of name changes over one year!
Methinks its some kind of RECORD....lmao!! :D :wink:

ps. You sure your not trying to confuse the public?
McBrain was best...
+1
I don't like "Burnzie" because "rnz" is difficult to pronounce.
All famous brands are easy to pronounce.
écureuil is difficult to pronounce. Burn-zie is easy. :D
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

I get terribly offended by the name "Burnzie", finding it a very obscene name, and not only does it make me uncomfortable, the very mention of "Burnzie" disturbs me. I think it's a great shame that now an engine named "Burnzie" exists, and people can get away with it.

I hope it gets changed.

But I'm going to dislike a lot the next name too, so prepare at least 2 or 3 new names in advance.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Vinvin wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:54 pm
supersharp77 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:59 am ...

Well......from 'McBrain' to.....'McCain'.....To Burnzie? Really? Thats a Whole lot of name changes over one year!
Methinks its some kind of RECORD....lmao!! :D :wink:

ps. You sure your not trying to confuse the public?
McBrain was best...
+1
I don't like "Burnzie" because "rnz" is difficult to pronounce.
All famous brands are easy to pronounce.
pronounced "burn zee" is very easy to pronounce , accent on burn. say "burn" and the letter "z" together
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Ovyron wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:43 am I get terribly offended by the name "Burnzie", finding it a very obscene name, and not only does it make me uncomfortable, the very mention of "Burnzie" disturbs me. I think it's a great shame that now an engine named "Burnzie" exists, and people can get away with it.

I hope it gets changed.

But I'm going to dislike a lot the next name too, so prepare at least 2 or 3 new names in advance.
It's derived from my family name "Byrne" , which is pronounced "Burn" , my father's childhood friends tagged him with the nickname "Burn - zee", they are all dead now - so when you go to heaven , you can tell them.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

I was just mocking the people that spend their lives searching for something to be offended about, and that feel enormous satisfaction when people make changes to avoid offending them, encouraging them to go places and repeat this cycle, leading to censorship and being a slave to their ideas. They don't deserve anyone's attention, so making changes because of them it a terrible reason.

If you want to use the name McCain in your engine, or anything else, you should have the freedom to do it.

If you want to use the name Burnzie in your engine, or anything else, you should have the freedom to do it.

It's no different.

Today we woke up in a sadder day than normal, where people can point to this and say "see? suppression can win if someone gets offended about something. Who's next?"
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Ovyron wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:26 am I was just mocking the people that spend their lives searching for something to be offended about, and that feel enormous satisfaction when people make changes to avoid offending them, encouraging them to go places and repeat this cycle, leading to censorship and being a slave to their ideas. They don't deserve anyone's attention, so making changes because of them it a terrible reason.

If you want to use the name McCain in your engine, or anything else, you should have the freedom to do it.

If you want to use the name Burnzie in your engine, or anything else, you should have the freedom to do it.

It's no different.

Today we woke up in a sadder day than normal, where people can point to this and say "see? suppression can win if someone gets offended about something. Who's next?"
All can I do is my tiny little bit to try to make the world a better place. Even if it is for just one person, I'm fine with that.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

MikeB wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:05 amAll can I do is my tiny little bit to try to make the world a better place. Even if it is for just one person, I'm fine with that.
You should avoid helping people that make the world worse with their actions, such as manipulating others by being offended, and making them waste their time making unnecessary changes.

Being offended is a weapon to move an agenda, the world would be a much better place without weapons, so in the long run, the world will be a much better place once people stop being offended about little things (like McCain now being offensive), and people can use what they wish. Because what should matter is the intention, and people shouldn't be offended by something that wasn't intended to offend them.

(note - this is part of the censoring movement that has been going all over the world, like in pokemon, where the word "flamingo" was banned, because people were offended by the word "flaming", or that the word "muffin" is banned, because... apparently "muff" is a slang for female genitalia? I didn't even know! So listening to those people just limits our choices, and sets a bad precedent for computer chess, where you no longer can name your engine what you want, for fear of being offensive to those people)
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

:D Why don't you just rename it 'Mike'
What's my next move? - to the fridge for another beer !!
kiroje
Full name: Kim Jensen

Post by kiroje »

Being a father to 2 boys in Denmark this was what i was thinking of when I saw the name

https://nexo-knights.fandom.com/wiki/Burnzie

Which is not to bad and the "brother" is named Sparks :D
“Modern chess is too much concerned with things like pawn structure. Forget it, checkmate ends the game.” – Nigel Short
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Ovyron wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:26 am I was just mocking the people that spend their lives searching for something to be offended about, and that feel enormous satisfaction when people make changes to avoid offending them, encouraging them to go places and repeat this cycle, leading to censorship and being a slave to their ideas. They don't deserve anyone's attention, so making changes because of them it a terrible reason.

It's no different.

Well.....Thats all well and Good but He himself Made a 'POLITICAL STATEMENT' when He Alone changed the name from McBrain to 'McCain'...! Most Did not Complain or Protest :) :wink: