Bin book adapter?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Ovyron

Re: Bin book adapter?

Post by Ovyron » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:11 pm

hgm wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:01 am
So the most likely explanation seems that the GUI sets the current folder to some weird place.
Yes. So apparently the problem is Polyglot/InBetween can't find their INI file at all. I wonder if I make copies of Polyglot.ini all over the place I could hit by chance this weird place (set as current folder) and it'd work.
Cumnor wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:48 pm
The Aquarium Book Adapter is already built in to Infinitychess GUI
The problem is using it turns off the bix book, so I can't pile up my bix book and once out of book use the CTG, like I could if I could install the Adapter in the GUI (which also has a nice "think while in book" option, so I'd like to do it the other way around, CTG->Bix - I could even use an empty CTG so I have my setup but engine has hash full of contents and high depth for very first move out of book if my engine guesses the ponder move.)

The reason one can't install AquariumBookAdapter (other than needing to bypass the built-in blocking) is because it doesn't find its ini file either...
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:12 pm

You could try to load a UCI engine that supports 'persistent hash', and have it save its hash table on a file in the current directory. Then you could have Windows search for the file.

Ovyron

Post by Ovyron » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:55 pm

hgm wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:12 pm
You could try to load a UCI engine that supports 'persistent hash', and have it save its hash table on a file in the current directory. Then you could have Windows search for the file.
Great idea! So the Persistent Hash is created and used from somewhere that is set as the engine's path, and that weird and mysterious place is...

C:\Program Files (x86)\InnovativeSolutions\InfinityChess

(or wherever you install it)

So one has to move the engine that one wants to use, the bin book, polyglot.exe and polyglot.ini there. And the Polyglot.ini has to point to EngineDir=C:\Program Files (x86)\InnovativeSolutions\InfinityChess & BookFile=C:\Program Files (x86)\InnovativeSolutions\InfinityChess\cfish.bin (or the name of your bin book), otherwise it will not work :shock: . And you may not be able to install a second polyglot for another engine.

But if everything is set up like that, then polyglot does install on IC, and UCI engines without bin book support can use them (I guess AquariumBookAdapter could be installed there in a similar manner.)

Success!

((...except, this discovery coincided with me quitting InfinityChess because of abuse of power by their tournament director, handing free points to established players while others have to sit in the dust and actually play games to earn them, so all this info is now useless to me. But hopefully it can help someone else wanting to pile up to 5 books Bix->Ctg->Bin1->Bin2->Bin3 on IC, or something, just because it's now possible))
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

komodoslash001
Full name: Jeremy Tyrania

Post by komodoslash001 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:58 pm

Great the issue was fixed. Idk if the issue was with your particular cfish binary though as cfish uses bin books for me with infinitychess GUI if I supply the full path. For example: C:\Chess\book.bin

No need for me to move it to any place special as cfish is in the directory: C:\Chess

I use my own compile, but it should work for any I would think unless some bug is happening somewhere. :)

Regards.