What was the last good Rodent?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
PK

Re: What was the last good Rodent?

Post by PK » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:21 pm

I have just compiled Rodent 0.238 and added a zip archive to the history section - see http://www.pkoziol.cal24.pl/rodent/history.htm

carldaman

Post by carldaman » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:26 pm

Thanks a lot, Pawel.

A good old version to archive. :)

BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:23 am

Ovyron wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:47 pm
I have read a lot about the Rodent chess engine, regarding its playing style, and I finally got to test it. The Rodent III 0.287 version, to my disappointment.

So when I say "good", I'm talking about the playing style. The great thing about a playing style is that you don't need to play hundreds of games, a few are enough to showcase the style. Traditionally, I play 10 games with minimal books.

The first thing is to calibrate an opposing engine, so that you get results close to 50% performance. In this case, it looks like Wasp 3.60 at fixed depth 19 plays a bit stronger than Rodent at depth 20, so I used that (here's the PGN for collectors.)

I didn't see anything special about Rodent's style whatsoever in these games, just look at this game:

Very nice, huh? Except it was Wasp who was white :( I think black on this game is a good representation of what you'd expect to see from Rodent (9...Be6 10...Nb8 11...Bc8 12...Nbd7 :x ).

I know it has a couple dozen personalities and that some ought to blow me out the water, but I'd just think, what if some previous version of Rodent played as awesome as people praised it for by default, and the personalities would just enhance something already great?

Seeking help from people used to Rodent, do you know what was the last engine version with "the sparkle"?
Nice to see some old friends talking about my favorite chess engine.

I have been very busy with my new baby, fixing a legal blunder, and working on a secret project that only Pawel will know about... ;)

But I also have wondered which version of Rodent played the nicest chess by default, because I had noticed that something happened with the Texel tuning introduced.

Have downloaded 0.238 and doing some tests when I have time. :)

carldaman

Post by carldaman » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:18 pm

Welcome back, Norman -- nice to hear you're doing well. :)

Texel tuning is known to smooth out the rough edges and corners that actually lend personality to an engine.

All for a bundle of rating points. Probably not worth it, in my view, unless the Elo gained is meaningful to the developer.

Ovyron

Post by Ovyron » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:49 am

carldaman wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:18 pm
Welcome back, Norman -- nice to hear you're doing well. :)
Yes, I'm so glad Brendan hasn't quit the forum. Waiting for more news from him.
Make someone happy today.

PeterO

Post by PeterO » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:38 am

Hi Pavel,

I love to play on the wooden chessboard of the Millenium Chess Genius Exclusive.
Question: Can you please make a android version of Rodent that supports the Chess for Android - app (Aart Bik)?
I would love to modify Rodents playing style - in the „Chess for Android“ app!

Peter