Ryzen 3900X

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Re: Ryzen 3900X

Post by Leo »

Joost Buijs wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:22 pm I wonder when Zen 2 will be readily available, 3900X is almost impossible to get, 3950x is still not announced, and the processors that are released have trouble to reach the specified turbo speed. As ususal it is drama with AMD, I'm not an Intel fan whatsoever, but if Intel delivers 'Cascade Lake X' for a price that compares favorably to AMD Zen 2, I will go that way.
You might have to wait a long time for Cascade Lake X.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
Zenmastur

Re: Ryzen 3900X

Post by Zenmastur »

Joost Buijs wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:22 pm I wonder when Zen 2 will be readily available, 3900X is almost impossible to get, 3950x is still not announced, and the processors that are released have trouble to reach the specified turbo speed. As ususal it is drama with AMD, I'm not an Intel fan whatsoever, but if Intel delivers 'Cascade Lake X' for a price that compares favorably to AMD Zen 2, I will go that way.
I don't think AMD was ready for the huge demand for this release. They have made several shipments to the retailers I buy from and they sell out within minutes of being delivered. I would complain if none were getting shipments. All are. They just go so quick.

The AMD drama is more hype than drama if you ask me. None of the reviewers docked AMD in their reviews based on boost performance. They all touted the overall performance of the chips. Which is exactly what they should have done. I think AMD can fix the so called "boost" problem but the "fix" will have NO EFFECT on real world performance. So, for me it's a mute point. I would actually rather they make the boost algorithm give a more steady but lower boost as this will likely allow higher overclocks and better overall performance. Even better would be if they allowed the end user to select in the BIOS the type of boost used. That way the people that want the rapid, erratic, detrimental, and useless boosts can have it. My personal preference would be the lowest and steadiest boost settings.

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.