Chest for Linux

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Chest for Linux

Post by hgm »

So evaluating the moves is a separate action? How does one 'blunder check' the annotated game? Normal blunder checking in XBoard would be done through the 'Analyze Game' mode, which has an engine think about each game position in analyze mode, and after a fixed time adds the score/depth as a comment, and possibly the PV as a variation. The score-depth comments of a loaded game are always shown in the Evaluation Graph, which can be toggled between absolute and differential mode.

This would not lead to evaluation of the alternative moves, though.
Look
Full name: Mehdi Amini

Post by Look »

hgm wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:25 pm So evaluating the moves is a separate action? How does one 'blunder check' the annotated game? Normal blunder checking in XBoard would be done through the 'Analyze Game' mode, which has an engine think about each game position in analyze mode, and after a fixed time adds the score/depth as a comment, and possibly the PV as a variation. The score-depth comments of a loaded game are always shown in the Evaluation Graph, which can be toggled between absolute and differential mode.

This would not lead to evaluation of the alternative moves, though.
I use what is called "infinite analysis". That is , turn on engine , wait for some time on each move , notice the blunders. But you can automate this procedure. User can set "replay training" analysis from a number of methods. "Infinite analysis" , "fixed time per move" and even more. If one wants to continue this , several tactical/positional problems based on OTB games can be given to user. Selection is based on mistakes in "replay analysis". The idea is to stop similar mistakes from happening in future.
Farewell.
hgm

Post by hgm »

XBoard of course also supports analysis, with all bells and whistles (like multi-PV, move exclusion). But that is typically an interactive task, where the user has to step through the positions he wants analyzed.

When you say 'can automate', do you mean that ChessBase provides some automatic function to analyze the result of a training game? If so, what exactly does this functin do?
Look

Post by Look »

hgm wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:37 pm XBoard of course also supports analysis, with all bells and whistles (like multi-PV, move exclusion). But that is typically an interactive task, where the user has to step through the positions he wants analyzed.

When you say 'can automate', do you mean that ChessBase provides some automatic function to analyze the result of a training game? If so, what exactly does this functin do?
It seems to me that in ChessBase in addition to "infinite analysis" there is something called "tactical analysis". In short it finds blunders in a game with a time given for each move. But IMO that is not a high priority. For a long time I have been a user of "infinite analysis".
Farewell.
Look

Post by Look »

Look wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:43 pm
hgm wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:37 pm XBoard of course also supports analysis, with all bells and whistles (like multi-PV, move exclusion). But that is typically an interactive task, where the user has to step through the positions he wants analyzed.

It seems to me that in ChessBase in addition to "infinite analysis" there is something called "tactical analysis". In short it finds blunders in a game with a time given for each move. But IMO that is not a high priority. For a long time I have been a user of "infinite analysis".
To be more precise , I do different interactive analysis not just infinite analysis.
Farewell.
hgm

Post by hgm »

If I understand it correctly, ChessBase's 'tactical analysis' is similar to XBoard's Anayze Game. This only analyzes the main line of the game, though, and ignores any variations. So it is not really useful for scoring the alternative moves that the player entered in the Training phase.

Of course it would be possible to add switch that would do a kind of tree-walk through the entire game plus variations, and annotate those with score/depth. But I am not sure how the results could be neatly presented to the user, other than just in the PGN itself. When only the main line is scored an evaluation graph can have the move number along the axis.
Look

Post by Look »

hgm wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:07 pm If I understand it correctly, ChessBase's 'tactical analysis' is similar to XBoard's Anayze Game. This only analyzes the main line of the game, though, and ignores any variations. So it is not really useful for scoring the alternative moves that the player entered in the Training phase.

Of course it would be possible to add switch that would do a kind of tree-walk through the entire game plus variations, and annotate those with score/depth. But I am not sure how the results could be neatly presented to the user, other than just in the PGN itself. When only the main line is scored an evaluation graph can have the move number along the axis.
Well , various types of analysis for a Chess GUI is OK. But for the moment I can live with a standard interactive analysis. "Replay training" advancements has a higher priority IMHO.
Farewell.
Roland Chastain
Full name: Roland Chastain

Post by Roland Chastain »

Canoike wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:29 pm Hello,

I found the source code of Chest 3.19 and successfully compiled it for my xubuntu PC. It is old. So is there something newer for Linux ? Maybe a UCI version instead of a command line one...

Thank you.
Hello! Could you say where you found it? It seems that the Chest website site is no longer available.

Regards.

Roland
Qui trop embrasse mal étreint.
Roland Chastain
Full name: Roland Chastain

Post by Roland Chastain »

Qui trop embrasse mal étreint.