GUI under lan

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Krzysztof Grzelak

GUI under lan

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

I have a question. Please write what GUI to use to be able to play via LAN on two computers.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: GUI under lan

Post by hgm »

You mean running the GUI on one computer, and one or both engines on a different one?

That is not really a GUI function. It requires some additional connection programs on each computer, such as ssh or connect.exe, and then every GUI should be able to do it.
Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

I would like to play a match on two computers via lan.
jdart

Post by jdart »

If this is for engine use, you don't need a GUI, exactly. But xboard/Winboard can run a match across machines using the -fh (first host) and -sh (second host) options.

If you want to play with another person over a LAN, hmm, I'm not aware of a program that does that. But that is what chess servers are for. FICS (freechess.org) has free accounts.

--Jon
hgm

Post by hgm »

I also made a pseudo-engine for allowing humans to play remotely ageinst each other. (Which is not what the OP wants, btw.) It is called p2p.exe. when run as an engine in a GUI on both ends, it allows you to set up a peer-to-peer connection. The p2p.exe on one machine then plays as the human on the other machine, when you play against it.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

hgm wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:41 am I also made a pseudo-engine for allowing humans to play remotely ageinst each other. (Which is not what the OP wants, btw.) It is called p2p.exe. when run as an engine in a GUI on both ends, it allows you to set up a peer-to-peer connection. The p2p.exe on one machine then plays as the human on the other machine, when you play against it.
Now that is cool. Thinking about downtime at work. :D
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Modern Times »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:02 am I have a question. Please write what GUI to use to be able to play via LAN on two computers.
If you are talking about playing engine vs engine matches on two machines over a LAN - ask the SSDF people, they do it all the time although they may use a direct connection with RS232 or RS232 to USB converter rather than a LAN.
hgm

Post by hgm »

AdminX wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:43 amNow that is cool. Thinking about downtime at work. :D
Well, in practice most people that wanted to use it did not have the technical skills to open up their PC to outside connections, which usually requires configuring a lot of port-translation settings in modems, routers, etc. At some point I was running a 'relay server' to which both parties could then make an outgoing connection, and which did nothing but passing messages back and forth between users that had connected with the same name/password combination.

Of course for Chess there are much simpler solutions, like connecting to FICS. The p2p solution was created to make it possible to also play the many XBoard variants not supported by any server. (Or even user-defined variants; the p2p adapter can read a game-definition file that determines which variant it supports.)
dannyb
Full name: Daniel Bennett

Post by dannyb »

hgm wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:41 am I also made a pseudo-engine for allowing humans to play remotely ageinst each other. (Which is not what the OP wants, btw.) It is called p2p.exe. when run as an engine in a GUI on both ends, it allows you to set up a peer-to-peer connection. The p2p.exe on one machine then plays as the human on the other machine, when you play against it.
is it available for download? I couldn't find it on your home page.
hgm

Post by hgm »

The p2p source code is available in my on-line git repository.