Stockfish/Honey options with underscores and Chessbase

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JohnS

Stockfish/Honey options with underscores and Chessbase

Post by JohnS »

I have noticed that Windows Chessbase doesn't like options with underscores in their names (stockfish, honey) and they don't show up when you view the engine properties. To confirm this I edited the stockfish source and changed UCI_LimitStrength to UCILimitStrength etc and now they show up in engine properties and can be changed.

Has anyone else found this and is there a better solution than changing the source.
Ferdy

Re: Stockfish/Honey options with underscores and Chessbase

Post by Ferdy »

JohnS wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:47 am I have noticed that Windows Chessbase doesn't like options with underscores in their names (stockfish, honey) and they don't show up when you view the engine properties. To confirm this I edited the stockfish source and changed UCI_LimitStrength to UCILimitStrength etc and now they show up in engine properties and can be changed.

Has anyone else found this and is there a better solution than changing the source.
Just write to chessbase to fix their bug.
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Ferdy wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:38 am
JohnS wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:47 am I have noticed that Windows Chessbase doesn't like options with underscores in their names (stockfish, honey) and they don't show up when you view the engine properties. To confirm this I edited the stockfish source and changed UCI_LimitStrength to UCILimitStrength etc and now they show up in engine properties and can be changed.

Just write to chessbase to fix their bug.
Not just Chessbase it seems. Same problem with Shredder interface and Hiarcs chess explorer. Scid vs PC is ok though.
PK

Post by PK »

UCI_LimitStrength is handled by the GUI elsewhere. It is part of UCI specification, so changing it to a version without underscore breaks this specification, see: http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/UCIProtocol.html
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

PK wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:51 am UCI_LimitStrength is handled by the GUI elsewhere. It is part of UCI specification, so changing it to a version without underscore breaks this specification, see: http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/UCIProtocol.html
Thanks I didnt know this. Still dont understand why options cant be seen in Chessbase etc.
PK

Post by PK »

Don't know about ChessBase. Under Arena it is menu Levels -> Limit Playing Strength by Elo.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

The UCI_ prefix in option names should be considered reserved for standard options that the GUI should handle automatically. Such options should not be displayed in the engine properties, where the user could mess with them.