1.g4 opening is losing?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Zenmastur

Re: 1.g4 opening is losing?

Post by Zenmastur » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:15 am

Uri Blass wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:50 am
Zenmastur wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:20 am
lkaufman wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:43 am
I think I'll change my opinion from "draw" to "loss" for 1.g4. I let Komodo MCTS think about it for an hour or so and got a -.83 score for it after 1...d5. Usually anything beyond 0.7 is a winning advantage based on playouts from the position. This doesn't mean that I or anyone else can prove the win, just that it is probably the smart way to bet if somehow there were a way to get the answer!
What do you consider proof?

Regards,

Zenmastur
a tree that show a forced mate in all lines is certainly a proof.

1.f3(f4) e6(e5) 2.g4 is proved to be a forced mate for black(white can use a different order of moves)
1.f3(f4) e6(e5) 2.h3 is also proved to be a forced mate for black(white can use a different order of moves)

I am not sure if you can find a proof for a forced mate after 3 plies except these examples
There are some lines when white lose the queen like
1.e3 Nf6 2.Qg4 or 1.e4 g6 2.Qh5
I am sure that black win in them but I am not sure if you can prove a forced mate for black in one of them
Well...

I know what a proof tree looks like. I also believe that with current hardware generating a proof tree for 1.g4 is out of the question.

I'll be happy with any score of -3.xx or less (since that's what I recalled/claimed).

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Ovyron

Re: 1.g4 opening is losing?

Post by Ovyron » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:01 pm

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:03 pm
Ovyron wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:38 pm
I'm willing to defend 1.g4 against anybody that seriously think it is losing, and I guarantee that I can draw them.
Am willing to give it a go 1...d5. if you want to play we should probably play the game in the tournaments and matches sub-forum?
Thanks Harvey, here's a link to our game.

[too long text suppressed]
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.