First chess benchmarks for the Intel core i9-10980XE emerge

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Joost Buijs

First chess benchmarks for the Intel core i9-10980XE emerge

Post by Joost Buijs »

Dann Corbit

Re: First chess benchmarks for the Intel core i9-10980XE emerge

Post by Dann Corbit »

Very impressive result. How much does it cost?
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Mr. Monster predicts just under 1000$, if I read the first page right? Google translate of the first page, Rumanian to English:

4647/5000
Review - Intel Core i9 10980XE - Cascade Lake X

Written by: Monster, in the category: Featured Articles, Processors & Chipsets, on October 25, 2019.

Browse chapters:

Browse pages:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23 24 25 Next

Intel Core i9 10980XE

I write these lines on an ultraportable notebook equipped with an Intel 4-core processor ... the daily-use system is also equipped with an Intel processor and even if the test platform will soon be equipped with an AMD processor, better than 10 years ago I used Intel platforms. Of course, this does not mean that we did not appreciate AMD processors, but on the contrary, we had more systems with such processors on the desk at the time, than Intel systems.

However, for more than ten years the blue giant has dominated the market without the right of appeal, being the only solution for the passionate. And yet ... somewhere in recent years, something went wrong. The ambitious plans were overturned, even if we were talking about the company that employs some of the most skilled engineers in the industry, and the management of the company guided the formidable Intel machine, another unbeatable date, in the wrong direction, in which the biggest manufacturer processors in the world suddenly found themselves in a vulnerable position.

Of course, the furious comeback of AMD has contributed to this, but ... I tell you a little secret ... do not believe that in this industry a manufacturer of Intel size does not have information about what his opponent is doing. It is inevitable, whether we are talking about people moving from one company to another, or talking about journalists sharing information with different companies. It is certain that Ryzen was not a surprise to Intel, and the iterations that followed followed a natural progression.

No, the impasse that Intel is in right now is not one caused by ignorance, but rather by setting goals that were impossible to achieve for technical reasons - developing a more technological process than what TSMC offers and Samsung. Intel's attempt to move from the 14nm process directly to a 10nm process has failed, which is why for the last 5 years we have been dealing with the same manufacturing process, refined which is right with all the company's engineers. , respectively with only 2 major architectural nodes, also refined endlessly.

However, as long as AMD could not offer something competitive, this was not an impediment for Intel, which has doubled the price of high-end processors in recent years. That's how we got to 18 cores and 36 threads, which cost $ 1999. And this worked, until he saw the light of the second generation AMD Threadripper, with the monstrous 2990WX equipped with 32 cores and 64 threads, sold for a lower price.

And when the third generation AMD made its appearance, bringing a considerable increase in performance, which foresees the absolute dominance of the Threadripper monsters based on the same architecture, for the first time in history, which stretches better. For half a century, the US giant has had no choice but to cut prices for high-end processors!

Thus, over ~ 2 weeks when you read the launch reviews, you will see that the top end, Intel Core i9 10980XE, now costs $ 999, Intel Core i9 10940X (14c / 28t) costs $ 797, Intel Core i7 10920X (12c / 24t) costs $ 700, and the small series Intel Core i7 10900X (10c / 20t) costs $ 599. Also, you will probably notice that a single processor has an equivalent in the AMD core field, I mean here the Intel Core i7 10920X (12c / 24t) vs AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12c / 24t), and a model with 16 cores and 32 threads does not exist in the Intel line-up ... Probably because AMD Ryzen 9 3950X.

It is true that Intel has reduced the prices of high-end processors for the first time in history, launching a new family of processors, based on a refined manufacturing process and architecture over time, not to mention a new architecture. This time we are dealing with slightly higher frequencies and reduced prices by half, security patches applied from the factory and, according to our sources, a high availability in stores since the launch.

Bonus - Although there are new models of motherboards, based on the X299X chipset overhaul, the LGA2066 motherboards are fully compatible with the new processors through a simple BIOS update. Well ... that's not something I've seen too often at Intel in recent years, is it?
Feedback verzenden
Geschiedenis
Opgeslagen
Community
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

Dann Corbit wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:37 am Very impressive result. How much does it cost?
Intel set the price at $979, basically it is just the i9-9980XE with some security mitigations and deep learning boost (8 bit multiply add accumulate 32 in 1 cycle), the clock frequencies are somewhat higher too.

When it is available in the Netherlands I will buy one, it won't be as fast as a 32 core TR3 but the 9980XE can run with a large (and quiet) air cooler like the Noctua NH-D15, I'm pretty sure that a 32 core TR3 needs a large water cooler otherwise it will run too hot.

Also the Xeon W-2295 is an option, somewhat more expensive but it can use up to 1TB memory and unlike the 9980XE it supports ECC memory.
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

Joost Buijs wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:52 am
Dann Corbit wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:37 am Very impressive result. How much does it cost?
Intel set the price at $979, basically it is just the i9-9980XE with some security mitigations and deep learning boost (8 bit multiply add accumulate 32 in 1 cycle), the clock frequencies are somewhat higher too.

When it is available in the Netherlands I will buy one, it won't be as fast as a 32 core TR3 but the 9980XE can run with a large (and quiet) air cooler like the Noctua NH-D15, I'm pretty sure that a 32 core TR3 needs a large water cooler otherwise it will run too hot.

Also the Xeon W-2295 is an option, somewhat more expensive but it can use up to 1TB memory and unlike the 9980XE it supports ECC memory.
IIRC Noctua has released a cooler for the AMD TR4 chips rated at over 400W.

https://wccftech.com/noctua-displays-ne ... -heatsink/

You may have missed it since it was announced in May. So, air cooling is available for AMD TR4.

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

That benchmark shows less performance than what is expected from a Ryzen 3950X AM4 at 105 W TDP! :D :D :D

At 33% greater price why on earth would you buy that?

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

Zenmastur wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:10 am
That benchmark shows less performance than what is expected from a Ryzen 3950X AM4 at 105 W TDP! :D :D :D

Regards,

Zenmastur
Really? I haven't seen any real world benchmarks of the 3950X yet. When you multiply the score of the 3900X by a factor of 1.33 (12 to 16 cores) it still does not reach the level of the 10980XE, and look how bad the BMI2 scores of the 3900x are. I'd rather pay an extra $200 for a decent CPU.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

impressive , this brings Intel back in the picture for my next PC. Had decided to wait until March 2020 - no rush on my end.
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

Joost Buijs wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:32 pm
Zenmastur wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:10 am

Regards,

Zenmastur
Really? I haven't seen any real world benchmarks of the 3950X yet. When you multiply the score of the 3900X by a factor of 1.33 (12 to 16 cores) it still does not reach the level of the 10980XE, and look how bad the BMI2 scores of the 3900x are. I'd rather pay an extra $200 for a decent CPU.
Really???

Why would you use the BMI2 scores for Ryzen when it scores significantly better on popcnt? Aren't you just shooting yourself in the foot? Maybe your doing that on purpose!

Benchmarks for the 3950X are out. They have been out since June. I guess you conveniently missed all those leaks. Either that or your not looking for them. Most of them that show comparisons between the two show that the 3950X is faster by over 20%.

Here is one comparison between the two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpSHH5bzsNc

Secondly, why would you make a decision when you don't have all the available info? Doesn't make any sense to me unless you are purposely ignoring info that is readily available to the rest of us.

Thirdly the 24 core Thread-ripper will supposedly be price around $1k, the same as the 10980XE. Benchmarks for these vice the 10980 show they aren't even in the same ballpark. So why wouldn't you spend the same to get a “REAL” cpu?

Fourth, If you buy a 10980XE you will be locked into a 3-year old chipset and MB design with no upgrade path.

Regards,

Zenmastur
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Roughly speaking how many times is i9-10980XE faster than i7-5960X ?