Page 1 of 9

Women World Fischer Random Championship 2019 Next Month in USA

Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:31 am
by Chessqueen
Thew Women World Fischer Random Championship 2019 will be celebrated Next Month in the U.S.A. More information to be provided soon. The Prize Money will be 1st Place $100,000, 2nd place $55,000 3rd Place $45,000 and 4th Place $35,000

Note: At this moment China is trying to negotiate a better deal to have the WWFRC celebrated in China instead :roll:

Re: Women World Fischer Random Championship 2019 Next Month in USA

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:29 am
by Ovyron
I will not support a tourney that discriminates based on gender.

Re: Women World Fischer Random Championship 2019 Next Month in USA

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:05 am
by lkaufman
Ovyron wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:29 am
I will not support a tourney that discriminates based on gender.
I'm inclined to think the post was a joke, as I doubt that the poster would have knowledge of such an event that no one else would have. But be that as it may, in what way did you support the FRC championship just held that did NOT discriminate on gender, as far as I know?

Re: Women World Fischer Random Championship 2019 Next Month in USA

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:05 pm
by Ovyron
I support it in the way that it's a great start in the experimentation of chess variants (in what I called a "metatournament") and said I hope they don't stop and experiment with others. My fears were about people seeing its success and stopping there (never trying anything else), but if it succeeded it showed the public is interested in other variants besides chess, that's great.

May FRC be the beginning, and FIDE give this treatment to other variants.

Re: Women World Fischer Random Championship 2019 Next Month in USA

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:08 pm
by jp
FRC/Chess960 is not just a variant. That makes it special (but not unique).

There's no big reason for FIDE to promote e.g. bughouse any more than there is for them to promote xiangqi.

Re: Women World Fischer Random Championship 2019 Next Month in USA

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:21 pm
by Ovyron
It's just a variant that eventually becomes chess. Have a prize fund of $375,000 and people will show up to play anything you want them to.

Re: Women World Fischer Random Championship 2019 Next Month in USA

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:39 pm
by jp
It doesn't "eventually" become chess. It has the same rules, unlike bughouse, etc. It just has a bigger set of initial positions that includes the single one of the traditional game.

The top players loved it long before FIDE backed it. Money was not the issue.

Re: Women World Fischer Random Championship 2019 Next Month in USA

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:50 pm
by Ovyron
jp wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:39 pm
It has the same rules
No, it doesn't. Chess doesn't have FRC's weird castling rules, and this is the reason you can't pick a chess engine and have it play FRC on the go, its programmer had to implement Chess960 into it, and if they didn't, you're out of luck analyzing a FRC position with an engine that doesn't know weird castling, and it only becomes chess after weird castling is not possible and a chess engine can be used to analyze it.

This proves it's a variant.

Re: Women World Fischer Random Championship 2019 Next Month in USA

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:37 am
by jp
Ovyron wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:50 pm
jp wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:39 pm
It has the same rules
No, it doesn't. Chess doesn't have FRC's weird castling rules and this is the reason you can't pick a chess engine and have it play FRC on the go
You may not like the results of those rules, but that doesn't make the rules weird.

The reason you can't have a chess engine play on the go is that chess engines are programmed one way. Your argument is like saying the Millenium Bug proved our calendar system is broken. It's just the programming.

Re: Women World Fischer Random Championship 2019 Next Month in USA

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:06 am
by BrendanJNorman
Chessqueen wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:31 am

Note: At this moment China is trying to negotiate a better deal to have the WWFRC celebrated in China instead :roll:
Why the eye rolling? American women chessplayers haven't given decent competition to the Chinese women for decades.

No matter how many strong East Europeans you import. :lol:

Or is it something else?