Official Release of Ethereal 11.75, supporting MultiPV

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ovyron

Re: Official Release of Ethereal 11.75, supporting MultiPV

Post by Ovyron »

Dann Corbit wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:50 pm
Ovyron wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:55 am Why not 64 concurrency or 128 concurrency? I mean, if it's going to be about the engine that steals the most resources from others, you can do 256 concurrency and play 800 games instead of 100. Go all the way "saving resources"!
A simple experiment will answer your question.
Find an engine that lets you start more threads than are available on your system.

Now analyze the starting position on a quiet machine with the maximum thread count for your native hardware. Look at the NPS and depth reached after one minute.
Now double the thread count and repeat.
Now double the thread count and repeat.
You will notice that the search is not the same speed but it is severely hampered.
And it gets much worse with each step.
Strangely enough it doesn't :shock: I'm getting the same speed with 4 threads as with 8 threads or 16 threads! :o

This is Cfish, I wonder if it has some "anti-stupid" detector that checks how many cores you have and if you set Threads above this value it ignores you and just uses the maximum...
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Ronald is a clever one
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Not sure if you're brave or crazy or both.
I think the max is less than that for sf, so I am not at all sure what happened.
Usually, you engines have min and max for all settings. I guess that is past the max.
But if you enter from the command line rather than a gui, it might do something crazy.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Dann Corbit wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:49 am Not sure if you're brave or crazy or both.
I think the max is less than that for sf, so I am not at all sure what happened.
Usually, you engines have min and max for all settings. I guess that is past the max.
But if you enter from the command line rather than a gui, it might do something crazy.
Personally I don't sanity check any of the options. If you want to play with 0 threads, feel free. Want to crash your machine with 1TB of hash, enjoy!
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )