Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham
Contact:

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:53 am

Guenther wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:29 pm
Suggestion for a future release:

A time graph would be nice. Best would be one, which shows absolute (total sum) and relative used time per move.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Happy New Year to ALL :D :D :D
https://banksiagui.com
A freeware chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager

User avatar
GONeill
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:40 am
Full name: Graham O'Neill
Contact:

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by GONeill » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:46 am

phhnguyen wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:00 am
Ponti wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:33 am
Is there a chance to support DGT eletronic boards ?
Sorry, not for the coming time. I don't have those boards either.
If you ever decide to try this please contact me. You will probably do it by interfacing with DGT's driver DGTEBDLL.dll using their API.

As I have a Novag UCB rather than a DGT board I wrote a replacement for this DLL that replicates enough of the API to allow me to use my board in place of a DGT board in Arena and Lucas Chess, so would also like to make it work with Banksia. I might be able to help you understand some of the API too.

https://goneill.co.nz/chess.php

User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham
Contact:

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:20 am

GONeill wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:46 am
phhnguyen wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:00 am
Ponti wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:33 am
Is there a chance to support DGT eletronic boards ?
Sorry, not for the coming time. I don't have those boards either.
If you ever decide to try this please contact me. You will probably do it by interfacing with DGT's driver DGTEBDLL.dll using their API.

As I have a Novag UCB rather than a DGT board I wrote a replacement for this DLL that replicates enough of the API to allow me to use my board in place of a DGT board in Arena and Lucas Chess, so would also like to make it work with Banksia. I might be able to help you understand some of the API too.

https://goneill.co.nz/chess.php
Sure I will, thanks in advance!
https://banksiagui.com
A freeware chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager

User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham
Contact:

Version 0.12 released

Post by phhnguyen » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:39 am

Version 0.12 released
(New Year version)


1) Bugs fixed: almost all known bugs so far, including (serious ones):
- Wrong count 4 instead of 3 fold repetition
- Not reset 50 draw counters for pawn moves
- May stop reading if PGN files have double comments

2) Some small improvements/adjustments

3) New features:
- Support uci_elo, uci_limitstrength (insensitive cases)
- Improve graphics:
+ Smoother SVG pieces
+ Support all-pieces-in-one SVG file
+ Shadow for pieces, including custom pieces

- Drag-drop file/folder into BSG for quick actions:
+ a PGN file to open (old behavior)
+ an engine file to auto-detect and add
+ a folder of engines (engines can locate in their subfolders) to auto-detect and add they all
+ an SVG file of all-pieces-in-one to add custom pieces
+ an image file (including normal SVG files) to change the background image of BSG

- Multi time controllers: you can set each engine for one from 5 different timers (below image)
- Lock sides for engines (below image)
- Analyze games


Notes:
  • With auto-detecting/adding engines when dragging/dropping engines into BSG, I hope our life become a bit easier since a lot of questions are just how to run/add engines to chess GUIs :)
  • Three big features Multi time controllers, Lock sides for engines and Analysis are the first time implemented for BSG with a quite short test period. They (those features) need your help for testing and suggesting. They require a complicated interface, thus I have been still a headache for making the interface be clearer and easier for users. Bellow image shows how those features are colorized so users can be easier to understand and less confused. Comments/suggestions needed
  • Locking sides for engines works like a filter. If you lock an engine to a side (e.g. Black) BSG will remove all games with that engine but plays on another side (e.g. White).
  • Analysis function works a bit different ones from some GUIs I knew: Instead of stopping (violently) engines when reaching some limit (time, depth…), BSG gives those limits for engines before computing thus engines can stop themselves (BSG won’t stop any engines).
Image

Happy New Year!
https://banksiagui.com
A freeware chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager

Krzysztof Grzelak
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:47 am

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:43 am

I have a question phhnguyen. Did you fulfill my request that I asked you for?

User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham
Contact:

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:42 am

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:43 am
I have a question phhnguyen. Did you fulfill my request that I asked you for?
It is on the top of my TODO list. Please wait for me for the next release. Thanks
https://banksiagui.com
A freeware chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager

Ferdy
Posts: 4187
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Philippines

Re: Version 0.12 released

Post by Ferdy » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:18 pm

phhnguyen wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:39 am
Version 0.12 released
Two issues observed:

(1)
There seems to be an issue in long castle with check notation that is,
O-O-O+
Crafty's O-O-O+ move is considered by BSG as illegal move. See end position in the game.



(2)
Wrong result determination for insufficient material. White can still win the game but BSG considers it as draw.


User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham
Contact:

Re: Version 0.12 released

Post by phhnguyen » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:45 pm

Ferdy wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:18 pm
phhnguyen wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:39 am
Version 0.12 released
Two issues observed:

(1)
There seems to be an issue in long castle with check notation that is,
O-O-O+
Crafty's O-O-O+ move is considered by BSG as illegal move. See end position in the game.



(2)
Wrong result determination for insufficient material. White can still win the game but BSG considers it as draw.

Thanks a lot for the report! All will be fixed for the next release.
https://banksiagui.com
A freeware chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager

User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham
Contact:

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:30 am

AdminX wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:32 am
Feature Request:

I don't know if this is within your scope for Banksia, however I have always been a fan of 'Live URLs' as they are implemented in Hiarcs Chess Explorer. They give you the ability to view live PGNs as the game is in progress at some major events. This allows you to use the engine of your choice to assist with game analysis.
I have been working on that function. Now BSG can load and open remote PGN files via their URLs. However, I don't know how to view "live". Any example of a live URL recently? Does it mean frequent update? Should a GUI update automatically or manually? Need a button to update?

Thanks for ideas / suggestions.
https://banksiagui.com
A freeware chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager

User avatar
AdminX
Posts: 5305
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Acworth, GA
Contact:

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by AdminX » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:55 am

phhnguyen wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:30 am
AdminX wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:32 am
Feature Request:

I don't know if this is within your scope for Banksia, however I have always been a fan of 'Live URLs' as they are implemented in Hiarcs Chess Explorer. They give you the ability to view live PGNs as the game is in progress at some major events. This allows you to use the engine of your choice to assist with game analysis.
I have been working on that function. Now BSG can load and open remote PGN files via their URLs. However, I don't know how to view "live". Any example of a live URL recently? Does it mean frequent update? Should a GUI update automatically or manually? Need a button to update?

Thanks for ideas / suggestions.
I used to find them here at "The Week in Chess", I have not check in a while. The GUI would do checks to update the pgn and refresh the board with the current move.

https://theweekinchess.com/live

Image

Note: I would copy the URL link to the PGN and paste it into the GUI
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
__________________________________________________________________
Ted Summers

Post Reply