Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Krzysztof Grzelak

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

I'll write in a moment what I meant by one window in the program. I mean, in this one window, put tiny windows like these, give them a name, for example. I thought about such windows.
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:10 pm I'll write in a moment what I meant by one window in the program. I mean, in this one window, put tiny windows like these, give them a name, for example. I thought about such windows.
Ah, I got it. Tech terms they are boxes (dropdown box, combo box...) or controllers. Thanks for clarifying.

For creating a tournament BSG has a complicated popup dialog - a window (menu -> File -> New Tournament). I got difficulty to improve it, make it be simpler since users want to control so many aspects of the tournament. Thus we have dilemmas here: 1) it looks complicated but if we are hard to cut down its functions 2) It is not a good idea to create another similar dialog just for another player type (network players) since users have to learn to use more thing.
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

phhnguyen wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:31 pm Ah, I got it. Tech terms they are boxes (dropdown box, combo box...) or controllers. Thanks for clarifying.

For creating a tournament BSG has a complicated popup dialog - a window (menu -> File -> New Tournament). I got difficulty to improve it, make it be simpler since users want to control so many aspects of the tournament. Thus we have dilemmas here: 1) it looks complicated but if we are hard to cut down its functions 2) It is not a good idea to create another similar dialog just for another player type (network players) since users have to learn to use more thing.
You are a wise man. Do both, to keep everyone happy.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Is there a location where remote network games are saved? I ask because when a game is over the notation panel goes blank, so there is no way for me to save the game if it is not automatic saved somewhere.

Thanks
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by phhnguyen »

AdminX wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:18 pm Is there a location where remote network games are saved? I ask because when a game is over the notation panel goes blank, so there is no way for me to save the game if it is not automatic saved somewhere.

Thanks
If they are tournament games, they will be saved into the game log as usual. If they are normal games, you may untick to checkbox "auto close" thus they are still shown after their games are over and you can save them manually.

Note that when you create a tournament on a computer, it is considered as the "active" one and its games will be saved as tournament games as I have mentioned above. However, other computers which are involved in that tournament are considered as the passive ones and their games are treated as "normal" games in those computers (won't be saved automatically).
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

I am trying and run Tour in Banksia GUI. Unfortunately I am having problems locating where the games are. Also when trying and tick the PGN and mark it as PGN Tour, it is unticked again after tour is finished… and I have to tick it again as PGN every time..
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

phhnguyen wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:32 am
AdminX wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:18 pm Is there a location where remote network games are saved? I ask because when a game is over the notation panel goes blank, so there is no way for me to save the game if it is not automatic saved somewhere.

Thanks
If they are tournament games, they will be saved into the game log as usual. If they are normal games, you may untick to checkbox "auto close" thus they are still shown after their games are over and you can save them manually.

Note that when you create a tournament on a computer, it is considered as the "active" one and its games will be saved as tournament games as I have mentioned above. However, other computers which are involved in that tournament are considered as the passive ones and their games are treated as "normal" games in those computers (won't be saved automatically).
Ahh, silly me. I don't know how I missed that. (Auto Close)

Thanks. :D
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by phhnguyen »

Damir wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:53 am I am trying and run Tour in Banksia GUI. Unfortunately I am having problems locating where the games are.
When creating a tournament (menu -> File -> New Tournament) you can see the box "Games" on Logs section as marked by the red arrow in the below image. It is where to store tournament games. You may click on the button (with icon folder) next to that box to open the folder to see the file.
Damir wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:53 am Also when trying and tick the PGN and mark it as PGN Tour, it is unticked again after tour is finished… and I have to tick it again as PGN every time..
If you mean the PGN tick as the blue arrow (in the bellow image) it is for setting PGN opening. You must select first a PGN file that contains opening lines.

Jonathan003
Full name: Jonathan Cremers

Post by Jonathan003 »

I created a pgn book from my internet games where I play white. I first converted the pgn file to banksi format to be able to make a pgn book from it. If I go to tools and select this pgn book banksia crashes. Than each time I launch Banksia and go to tools > opening, Banksia crashes. I had to go to appdata, roaming and remove the folder BanksiaGUI, in order to not make Banksia crash anymore. If I go to tools > opening and I choose a bin book it works fine.

I also have a question. I have a database of 780000 games, where one of the players have a rating of 2500 or higher. All from high quality games from mega database and corr database. How long will it take to convert such a big database from pgn to banksa format? To be able to use it for the book making functions in Banksa.
I can let it run overnight but I want to know if it makes sense.
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Jonathan003 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:17 pm I created a pgn book from my internet games where I play white. I first converted the pgn file to banksi format to be able to make a pgn book from it. If I go to tools and select this pgn book banksia crashes. Than each time I launch Banksia and go to tools > opening, Banksia crashes. I had to go to appdata, roaming and remove the folder BanksiaGUI, in order to not make Banksia crash anymore. If I go to tools > opening and I choose a bin book it works fine.

I also have a question. I have a database of 780000 games, where one of the players have a rating of 2500 or higher. All from high quality games from mega database and corr database. How long will it take to convert such a big database from pgn to banksa format? To be able to use it for the book making functions in Banksa.
I can let it run overnight but I want to know if it makes sense.
Thanks a lot for your report. It is a bug and will be fixed on the next release.

The time for creating a PGN opening book depends on computers, the stronger one will be faster. On my 2-year-old computer (3.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7), it took about 5 minutes to convert a game database of 1.7 million games (human GMs) into a PGN opening book. It means 800 K games will take roughly 2-3 minutes.