Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, bob, hgm

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 847
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham
Contact:

Version 0.30 beta released

Post by phhnguyen » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:16 am

Version 0.30 beta released

* Fixed bugs: Converted PGN books may have duplicate positions
* Some small improvements/adjustments
* New features:
  • Tournament: Human can join and play
  • Lichess bot: challenge multi-players, repeatable
  • Engine info panel: changeable font size
  • Support UCI_ShowMovesLeft

The human can join and play in a tournament
Image
https://banksiagui.com
A freeware chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager

User avatar
Nordlandia
Posts: 2656
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:38 pm
Location: Sortland, Norway

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by Nordlandia » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:18 am

phhnguyen: maybe you can try yourself to verify it work on your end just to be sure. If you have a cable lying around at your house.

I could open files on the other machines through the crossover and vise versa. I guess the problem lies in the program not communicating with the cable.

KLc
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:46 am
Full name: Kurt Lanc

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by KLc » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:40 am

After seeing all the dozens of requests and suggestions for the BanksiaGUI, I would simply like to say a big thank you to the author, phhnguyen! :!:

User avatar
AdminX
Posts: 5513
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Acworth, GA
Contact:

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by AdminX » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:07 pm

KLc wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:40 am
After seeing all the dozens of requests and suggestions for the BanksiaGUI, I would simply like to say a big thank you to the author, phhnguyen! :!:
Image
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
__________________________________________________________________
Ted Summers

JohnW
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:20 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by JohnW » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:09 pm

When creating a new tournament between engines is there a way to get it to schedule the games more like how a human tournament would be scheduled?
What I mean by that is if I am watching multiple games at once I don't want to watch one engine play multiple games at the same time, I want see multiple games between different engines in each round of the tournament.

JohnW
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:20 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by JohnW » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:47 pm

This is a very nice gui, I especially like the multiple games that can be played at the same time.
I do have one suggestion. I find it difficult to discern which engine is playing with the white pieces and which one is playing black

If you look at the picture below, wouldn't it be better if the small boxes matched the color of the pieces? A blue box has no meaning.
I understand that the engine at the bottom is playing with the black pieces, but since the black pieces are playing from the top it's a little confusing at times.
Image

I was thinking something like this which I copied from the LiChess website. It makes it clear who is playing white and who is playing black. Just my opinion though, great job with the GUI !

Image

User avatar
AdminX
Posts: 5513
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Acworth, GA
Contact:

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by AdminX » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:18 pm

Feature request:

I often use the network function of the Banksia GUI, I would like to know if it is possible to give users the option to set a default icon for their remote network engine. Just one default icon that would be used to represent any remote network engine.

Example:

Image
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
__________________________________________________________________
Ted Summers

User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 847
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham
Contact:

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:51 am

KLc wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:40 am
After seeing all the dozens of requests and suggestions for the BanksiaGUI, I would simply like to say a big thank you to the author, phhnguyen! :!:
AdminX wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:07 pm
KLc wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:40 am
After seeing all the dozens of requests and suggestions for the BanksiaGUI, I would simply like to say a big thank you to the author, phhnguyen! :!:
Image
Thanks all for the good words. They gave me a lot of energy :)
https://banksiagui.com
A freeware chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager

User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 847
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham
Contact:

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:59 am

JohnW wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:47 pm
This is a very nice gui, I especially like the multiple games that can be played at the same time.
I do have one suggestion. I find it difficult to discern which engine is playing with the white pieces and which one is playing black

If you look at the picture below, wouldn't it be better if the small boxes matched the color of the pieces? A blue box has no meaning.
I understand that the engine at the bottom is playing with the black pieces, but since the black pieces are playing from the top it's a little confusing at times.
Image

I was thinking something like this which I copied from the LiChess website. It makes it clear who is playing white and who is playing black. Just my opinion though, great job with the GUI !

Image
A color is an engine's color, setup by users in the Settings dialog. Thus you may change to any color you want. At the moment those colors are used to display the color of their thinking arrows and in their clock panel. They are not the color of side nor their pieces (users can select red for an engine and it can play for black side).
https://banksiagui.com
A freeware chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager

User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 847
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham
Contact:

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:00 am

AdminX wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:18 pm
Feature request:

I often use the network function of the Banksia GUI, I would like to know if it is possible to give users the option to set a default icon for their remote network engine. Just one default icon that would be used to represent any remote network engine.

Example:

Image
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I will implement it soon.
https://banksiagui.com
A freeware chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager

Post Reply