Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

supersharp77

Re: Banksia GUI Android?!?!

Post by supersharp77 »

Any news on a Possible Banksia GUI for Android? Is it possible to Build from the Source Code? Thx In Advance AR.. :) :wink:
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen »

Frank Brenner wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:20 am
Anyway, in addition to the "on the fly analysis" I would like to propose a "not-on-the-fly" analysis mode.
In this mode the analysis should not be done automatically along all moves, but the focus is on a fixed position - either a singular position or any position from a game.
There should be the possibility to calculate single or multiple engines at one position with start and stop buttons and the possibility to reload engines or clear the hash tables etc....
This feature should serve to examine several engines manually on their analysis strength.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I have been still pondering it. However, I think the current function Analysis-on-fly could do that task: it calculates for current position as long as you stay in, it has a button to start/stop (see my tutorial videos, e.g. You can clear hashes when computing, stop all, change engines and start again...
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Nordlandia wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:13 pm I left my secondary machine 5930K at 4.5GHz 6-core using all threads to verify checksum on 7-pieces. I discovered in the morning that the computer frooze midway. Is this a major bug or something related to the storage containing all the egtb files ?

Running checksum for all 7-pieces may take about a day on my hardware +/-

I had to restart by using my main machine.

I see i can adjust how many cores for the task but task manager only show low cpu usage despite being given all available cores.
Perhaps almost all processing time is for reading huge files into memory, not for computing checksum. Your hard drivers may be put to their limitations.

However I don’t have experience about that situation since I have never downloaded full 7 men. Could you check those files by using tbcheck and/or external/standard checksum programs?
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Re: Banksia GUI Android?!?!

Post by phhnguyen »

supersharp77 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:04 pm Any news on a Possible Banksia GUI for Android? Is it possible to Build from the Source Code? Thx In Advance AR.. :) :wink:

Yes and... No! ;)

I could compile easily BSG into ones which could run on Android. However, it’s not the right way to do. BSG is designed to work on big screens (computers screens), using mouses and keyboards as input sources. It will be useless or very hardly to use on Android devices where screens are much smaller, gestures and virtual keyboards are main input sources, including many security limitations.

I have some experience when developing BanksiaGUI for iOS (open source) and planned to develop another one for Android but that will take a lot of time and effort (that’s somewhat rewrite/redesign whole program) thus I am not sure yet when I start :D
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Verification completed on my main machine without error after re-download those 7-tables.
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Re: Version 0.39 beta released

Post by AlexChess »

phhnguyen wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:19 pm Version 0.39 beta released

Fixed bugs:
* Analyze on the fly with multi-engines: crashed sometimes
* Fix font for Lc0’s stats table
* Crosstable displayed wrong scores
* Couldn’t verify huge Syzygy files (over 2 GB)
* Local network: did not play
* Lichess bot: couldn’t challenge when the concurrency number is small
* Wrong suggestion to download NNUE files when installing Stockfish
* Might be crashed/freeze because of bugs in graphical functions

Some small improvements
* Faster and more clever parser for Lc0 stats to avoid being laggy and/or freeze when Lc0 creates too much data (if your computer is weak and/or playing a tournament, it is better to turn Lc0 stats off by setting options LogLiveStats and VerboseMoveStats to false)

New features:  
* Graph: can setup background; can use engines’ colors; shows multi graph lines for multi-engines when analyzing
* Two PV boards (auto being showed) if both sides are chess engines
Hi!

I've also imported a .pgn tournament file and 0.39 works fine, calculating crosstables with details, once pressed stats! :)

For 0.40 release, it would be nice to have also the option to add new engines or remove old ones from this frame, without losing all previous results, adding a RESUME button that deletes only games from removed engines and inserts the new games for the post-added engines (as in Arena Chess).

Thank you very much!
AlexChess

Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum: https://shorturl.at/bpvI1
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Nordlandia wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:54 am Verification completed on my main machine without error after re-download those 7-tables.
Thanks for the update! Nice to know the function syzygy-checksum of BSG can work & be useful sometimes :D
phhnguyen

Re: Version 0.39 beta released

Post by phhnguyen »

AlexChess wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:47 pm
Hi!

I've also imported a .pgn tournament file and 0.39 works fine, calculating crosstables with details, once pressed stats! :)

For 0.40 release, it would be nice to have also the option to add new engines or remove old ones from this frame, without losing all previous results, adding a RESUME button that deletes only games from removed engines and inserts the new games for the post-added engines (as in Arena Chess).

Thank you very much!
AlexChess

Thanks for the suggestion!

I am not clear about the reason why you need to change engines, delete the games when the tournament is playing?

Do you know you could:
- create several tournaments then merge their PGN or JSON files and BSG can create stats from the last PGN/JSON file
- create a tournament with all engines you want, before playing any game you can edit the match list, delete all matches you don’t want. That can avoid adding engines/matches later
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

You are right, I've never considered your proposed option using database functions. If I can merge pgn files, I can simply start new gauntlets between new released / updated engines and all the others and finally drop merged png in Banksiagui to produce detailed stats.

Thank you!
Best regards,
AlexChess
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum: https://shorturl.at/bpvI1
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

AlexChess wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:00 am You are right, I've never considered your proposed option using database functions. If I can merge pgn files, I can simply start new gauntlets between new released / updated engines and all the others and finally drop merged png in Banksiagui to produce detailed stats.

Thank you!
Best regards,
AlexChess
Oh, I see!

If you have all those engines (new and old) at once, you can do it very easily: BSG can create a gauntlet tournament with more than one gauntlet engine. In the below image, both Stockfish 11 and Stockfish 13 are selected as gauntlets, they will play vs all other engines in the list (but not 11 vs 13). Very easy to compare their results at the end :D