Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by AlexChess »

phhnguyen wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:22 am
AlexChess wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:09 pm Hi!

Feedback on Banksiagui 0.43 Edit Tournament:

OK RESET games to restart them for an engine or REMOVE them to completely eliminate an engine from tournament, but REPLACE an engine, also manually entering the new source name, doesn't work.
Um, strange! If you can reset games by a name, the replace function should work since they are quite closed. I can't reproduce anyway.
AlexChess wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:09 pm
On next releases it could be useful the option to ADD a new engine on a running tournament keeping all previous data.
The problem is that the tournament is the list of games, not engines. We can't add only engines but games. Thus we must generate new games for a new engine. However, it is complicated (for both users and developers) and sometimes it couldn't do (for example, games of swiss, knockout depends much on the odd/even number of players and rounds).

BTW, I have added this idea to my to-do list and will ponder it further. Thanks :D
I know, I'm an asp.net programmer and I know that they are complicated sorting algorithms. You could check how engines tournament edit (add/remove/update) and rounds number + other parameters modification work (strangely very fine in this area) on Arena Chess and then verify if all results match on BanksiaGui inserting the same data.

Kind regards, AlexChess
THANK YOU FOR YOUR GIANT WORK!

...I can't wait to definitely switch to BanksiaGui... :D
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum TROLLS KINDERGARTEN
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

phhnguyen wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:22 am
AlexChess wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:09 pm Hi!

Feedback on Banksiagui 0.43 Edit Tournament:

OK RESET games to restart them for an engine or REMOVE them to completely eliminate an engine from tournament, but REPLACE an engine, also manually entering the new source name, doesn't work.
Um, strange! If you can reset games by a name, the replace function should work since they are quite closed. I can't reproduce anyway.
AlexChess wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:09 pm
On next releases it could be useful the option to ADD a new engine on a running tournament keeping all previous data.
The problem is that the tournament is the list of games, not engines. We can't add only engines but games. Thus we must generate new games for a new engine. However, it is complicated (for both users and developers) and sometimes it couldn't do (for example, games of swiss, knockout depends much on the odd/even number of players and rounds).

BTW, I have added this idea to my to-do list and will ponder it further. Thanks :D
I’m trying to use LCZero and SF-NNUE engines in the iPhone version, set to 30 seconds a move (green check mark), but they both seem to want to move immediately. Am I doing something wrong?
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

chrisw wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:50 pm I’m trying to use LCZero and SF-NNUE engines in the iPhone version, set to 30 seconds a move (green check mark), but they both seem to want to move immediately. Am I doing something wrong?
I guess those moves are from the opening book. Just continue for a while (say, 10 moves) or make unusual moves, they will be out of the book and start thinking. Report if you still see the engine moves instantly after that. Thanks.
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

phhnguyen wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:02 pm
chrisw wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:50 pm I’m trying to use LCZero and SF-NNUE engines in the iPhone version, set to 30 seconds a move (green check mark), but they both seem to want to move immediately. Am I doing something wrong?
I guess those moves are from the opening book. Just continue for a while (say, 10 moves) or make unusual moves, they will be out of the book and start thinking. Report if you still see the engine moves instantly after that. Thanks.
Nope. They were in handicap knight odds games where I removed a white piece. No possibility of opening book.
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

chrisw wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:11 pm
Nope. They were in handicap knight odds games where I removed a white piece. No possibility of opening book.
Thanks for the bug report. I can reproduce and will work with it soon.
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

phhnguyen wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:23 pm
SF moves instantly in normal games too, surprising nobody else has reported it.
I’ld hazard a guess that you (or whoever is the developer) has interpreted go movetime 30 to mean 30 seconds. In fact it takes the value in milliseconds, so you’ld need to send the engine a movetime 30000 for 30 seconds.

Yup, checked all engines interpret 30 seconds as instantaneous (or presumably 30 ms). Well, SF, LC0 and Ethereal.
Must be sending time in seconds, not ms, via the UCI.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

phhnguyen wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:17 am My new tutorial video about using BanksiaGUI as a Lichess Bot manager. It can make everything be easy, visual, automatic. It could play multi-bots, multi-games. The challenge function can keep bots playing all the time. Users can enjoy watching games, plus computing info with highly customizable, controllable everything.

Excellent tutorial :!: ... planning to register deuterium uci_elo 1000.
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

phhnguyen wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:23 pm
Another bug...

Tried playing Ethereal at knight odds, 5 minute game plus 2 increment, flip board (because I play black) and it crashes back to iPhone after a few moves. Relaunching finds the same position from where the crash left off, Ethereal thinks a bit and then same crash. Repeats.
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

huanhuan wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:07 am Please add an option so that the users can place the "Move" box under the Board.
=> https://postimg.cc/4nbgrmB9

Thank you,
Maarten Claessens wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:54 pm First, thank you for developing Banksia.
However, I would like to point out the following issue with Winboad-engines:
When ticking "Auto play opening book moves" in Book/Egtb-settings, Banksia sends only the white moves to the engine playing white and the black moves to te engine playing black. See this part of the Engine Log for the openingline 1.e3 d5 2.c4 e6 3.d4...:

Code: Select all

Olithink < xboard
Olithink < protover 2
WaDuuttie < xboard
WaDuuttie < protover 2

...<snip>...

Olithink < force
Olithink < e2e3
WaDuuttie < force
WaDuuttie < usermove d7d5
Olithink < force
Olithink < c2c4
Olithink > Illegal move: c2c4 

WaDuuttie > Error (illegal move): d7d5
WaDuuttie < force
WaDuuttie < usermove e7e6
I guess this is easy to fix.
Thanks all for suggestions/bug reports. They will be implemented/fixed in the next release
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

chrisw wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:33 pm SF moves instantly in normal games too, surprising nobody else has reported it.
I’ld hazard a guess that you (or whoever is the developer) has interpreted go movetime 30 to mean 30 seconds. In fact it takes the value in milliseconds, so you’ld need to send the engine a movetime 30000 for 30 seconds.

Yup, checked all engines interpret 30 seconds as instantaneous (or presumably 30 ms). Well, SF, LC0 and Ethereal.
Must be sending time in seconds, not ms, via the UCI.
huanhuan wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:07 am Please add an option so that the users can place the "Move" box under the Board.
=> https://postimg.cc/4nbgrmB9

Thank you,
Thanks all for the reports/suggestions. If you could, please create some issues and/or PR at the GitHub of BanksiaGUI. This topic is mainly for BanksiaGUI for computers when the one in GitHub is open-source, I or someone can solve those issues. I have been still in a struggling period and hard to find enough time for everything, including developing both BanksiaGUIs for computers and for iOS. I wish someone could jump to help.