Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Modern Times

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by Modern Times »

phhnguyen wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:53 am
Gabor Szots wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:30 am I am running a tournament and noticed that in case of a time forfeit '[Termination "timeout"] is included in the PGN header. That is not suitable for us to process, 'time' should also be included at the end of the game, like this:
119. Kd4 {+5.02/21 1} Ra8 {0.00/17 0} 120. Kd3 {+5.02/21 1} ... {Black forfeits on
time} 1-0
or
120. Rf1 {[%eval -229,18]
[%emt 0:00:01]} Kg6 {[%eval -281,11] [%emt 0:00:02] (Ra2+)} 121. Rh1 {[%eval
-211,17] [%emt 0:00:01] Time} 1-0
etc.

Could you please comply with that?
Sure, I will add that comment for time forfeit for the next release.
Is [Termination "timeout"] still OK?
I believe so, from my reading of the perl scripts that do the pgn checking and validation, time is being checked as a wildcard so timeout should be picked up. I'll check to be sure.

EDIT: Confirmed, Timeout is correctly identified.
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

phhnguyen wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:53 amIs [Termination "timeout"] still OK?
Yes, we simply ignore that.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

There is still something I do not understand about tournament play.

When I choose gauntlet, then carousel, the gauntlet engine plays one game against all the others then another round etc., as I would expect. However, all games are marked as Round 1, and only the board number changes.
I consider a round a block of games in which the gauntlet engine plays 1 game against each of the opponents. THe number of rounds is equal to the number of games the main engine plays against one particular opponent.

When I choose gauntlet but select 'None' at shuffle, the gauntlet engine plays all its games against opponent 1 before taking on a new opponent. That's again OK but a again all games are marked as Round 1, while Board goes from 1 to the number of games the gauntlet engine is to play against one particular opponent.

So it seems to me that the concept of 'round' is different for you and me, and my guess is that what you call Board is the number of the game in the tournament sequentially.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Modern Times wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:59 am
phhnguyen wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:53 am
Gabor Szots wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:30 am I am running a tournament and noticed that in case of a time forfeit '[Termination "timeout"] is included in the PGN header. That is not suitable for us to process, 'time' should also be included at the end of the game, like this:
119. Kd4 {+5.02/21 1} Ra8 {0.00/17 0} 120. Kd3 {+5.02/21 1} ... {Black forfeits on
time} 1-0
or
120. Rf1 {[%eval -229,18]
[%emt 0:00:01]} Kg6 {[%eval -281,11] [%emt 0:00:02] (Ra2+)} 121. Rh1 {[%eval
-211,17] [%emt 0:00:01] Time} 1-0
etc.

Could you please comply with that?
Sure, I will add that comment for time forfeit for the next release.
Is [Termination "timeout"] still OK?
I believe so, from my reading of the perl scripts that do the pgn checking and validation, time is being checked as a wildcard so timeout should be picked up. I'll check to be sure.

EDIT: Confirmed, Timeout is correctly identified.
Oh I misinterpreted that comment. As Gabor says above, there are no issues with leaving that in the pgn header, but what I meant was that "timeout" at the end of the pgn would be detected by our scripts as a time loss.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Bug Report:

GUI crashing when using FICS. (Happens when trying to view or seek a game)

Update:

I discovered the cause of the problem. I have multiple tabs open in one of my dock layouts. Under the 'local network' was checked to auto connect. Once I unchecked it and went back to the FICS tab everything worked fine.

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by AdminX »

Bug Report:

Clock times not showing in FICS mode.

Post by AdminX »

Idea:

Image database for Banksia. How difficult would it be to create an image database for Banksia to use that contains images of GMs, IMs, FMs, exedra if the Community pitched in to help? Then when viewing Live PGNs or Live Games via Banksia it would reference this database and display images of the players when their names are referenced. Or maybe just set up an infrastructure where the user could create their own image database that banksia would use? I think with help with the community the data could be collected in very little time.

PS: I know I have dreams of playing like Giri or Carlsen, but this is going to far! :D

Post by JohnS »

AdminX wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:19 am Idea:

Image database for Banksia. How difficult would it be to create an image database for Banksia to use that contains images of GMs, IMs, FMs, exedra if the Community pitched in to help? Then when viewing Live PGNs or Live Games via Banksia it would reference this database and display images of the players when their names are referenced. Or maybe just set up an infrastructure where the user could create their own image database that banksia would use? I think with help with the community the data could be collected in very little time.

PS: I know I have dreams of playing like Giri or Carlsen, but this is going to far! :D

Great idea even if you have delusions of grandeur. :D :D
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

phhnguyen wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:27 am Hi all,

I am glad to release my new program: Banksia GUI - a chess GUI. It is totally freeware and can run in almost all major operating systems, can do almost all typical tasks of a chess GUI.

Just list a few features:
  • Support both UCI and WinBoard protocols
  • Can play all types of games (human-human, human-computer, computer-computer, engine tournaments), support all popular tournament types
  • Good and high customizable graphics
  • Support databases, popular book formats (PGN, EDP, Polyglot)
  • Supports some new chess techniques/trends. For examples, it supports:
  • [+] Lc0: understand and show its stats in multi visual ways: tables (all columns are sortable), bubbles (customizable for sizes, colors and contents/which stats to show)
  • [+] chessdb.com: query for both opening and endgame positions
  • [+] syzygy: users can exam endgame positions
  • Engines, databases, books could be auto-downloaded and configurated
  • Easy to use. Many tasks could be done much easy and fast, such as auto-detecting engines, making/reusing tournaments

Home page: https://banksiagui.com

Download (temporary for alpha versions) pages: https://banksiagui.com/preview-versions

Current releases are alpha versions and just for computer chess enthusiasts. At the moment there are binaries for Windows 10-64 bit and macOS only. Other binaries (for Win 7, Linux) will be released later.

Banksia GUI is built based on our open-source Banksia - a chess tournament

Thank you a lot for downloading and using. Feedbacks, bug reports and ideas are warm welcomes

I downloaded Banksia GUI for Windows 64, clicked on the Banksia Gui Application 19,051 Kb and it just froze :shock:
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

Gabor Szots wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:24 pm How do I install a java engine under Banksia?
I have managed to make Java back to work on my machine. Below is the way I install a Java engine. All parameters are in init strings box, each param in one line

https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager