Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mikebock
Full name: Michael Bock

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by mikebock »

phhnguyen wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:59 am A color is an engine's color, setup by users in the Settings dialog. Thus you may change to any color you want. At the moment those colors are used to display the color of their thinking arrows and in their clock panel. They are not the color of side nor their pieces (users can select red for an engine and it can play for black side).
That's kinda confusing. Would it be better to outline the engine color with a small white or black border to show which side they are playing?
Alayan
Full name: Alayan Feh

Post by Alayan »

I'm using Linux, and I have a weird issue. After unpacking the zip, when I start the .sh script, I can see Banksia GUI consuming CPU resources in my task manager. Quite a lot of them actually, mostly filling a core. However, the GUI's window never start and so the program is unusable for me.

Encountered this issue with both 0.28 and 0.30.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Many thanks for all the adjudication settings implemented as requested. As well as the ponder hit percentage 🤩
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

mikebock wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:47 pm
phhnguyen wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:59 am A color is an engine's color, setup by users in the Settings dialog. Thus you may change to any color you want. At the moment those colors are used to display the color of their thinking arrows and in their clock panel. They are not the color of side nor their pieces (users can select red for an engine and it can play for black side).
That's kinda confusing. Would it be better to outline the engine color with a small white or black border to show which side they are playing?
You are right. Actually they are one of the designing dilemmas. The current design may confuse users. However, if we use white/black borders, the color boxes are quite small to see them (border colors) clearly. Because of contrast, the main colors of those boxes may make all look worse. There is almost no spare space to make those boxes be bigger. Also, there is no point to use only white/black boxes since that is mainly for decorating.

BTW, we are always open mind, listening to all suggestions, trying solutions. Hope we may find a better solution for this issue :)
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Alayan wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:01 pm I'm using Linux, and I have a weird issue. After unpacking the zip, when I start the .sh script, I can see Banksia GUI consuming CPU resources in my task manager. Quite a lot of them actually, mostly filling a core. However, the GUI's window never start and so the program is unusable for me.

Encountered this issue with both 0.28 and 0.30.
Thanks for the report. Can you try one or both:
- Find and delete the configuration folder of BankisaGUI (usually, it is in ~/.config/BanksiaGUI)
- Run BanksiaGUI in recover mode with param -r (type ./BanksiaGui.sh -r ). It will ignore some JSON files and use default values instead

BTW, what Linux are you using?
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Nordlandia wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:33 pm Many thanks for all the adjudication settings implemented as requested. As well as the ponder hit percentage 🤩
:D 🤩 :lol:
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

May i kindly request armageddon mode to be up for consideration for to-do-list onwards. Considering that last Komodo support armageddon, implementing it may justify the work needed.
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Just started using this and looks good. Simple questions -

1 how to save games from a tournament automatically to a pgn file.
2 whats the best way to update Banksia to new version, what happens to old settings.

Thanks for your work.
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Nordlandia wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:54 pm May i kindly request armageddon mode to be up for consideration for to-do-list onwards. Considering that last Komodo support armageddon, implementing it may justify the work needed.
Thank you for the feature request!

At the moment BSG can set up different clocks (time odds) for players (say 6 min for White, 5 min for Black), only missing the way to count a draw as a win for Black (draw odds). Sure I will implement.
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

JohnS wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:10 am Just started using this and looks good. Simple questions -

1 how to save games from a tournament automatically to a pgn file.
When creating a tournament, you can set up PGN file in the log part as the below illustration.
JohnS wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:10 am 2 whats the best way to update Banksia to new version, what happens to old settings.

Thanks for your work.
You may continue to use. BSG should work with any configuration, including broken ones. You may remove totally all old configurations (or keep only the one for engines banksiaengine.json). To find the folder of configuration files of BSG:
- Open Settings dialog: menu -> File -> Settings (or Preferences)
- From the first tab "General" click on the button on the bottom "Configuration files" to open Configuration files dialog
Just tick to files you want to delete then click on the button "Delete ticked files" or visit the configuration folder to do manually

If you delete the file banksiaengine.json, you may need to re-install all engines. Just drag and drop exe/runnable files one by one to BSG or give it the main folder. It can auto do the rest.

----
Set up PGN file for saving tournament games: