Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Krzysztof Grzelak

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

Thank you very much for your reply phhnguyen. It's all too complicated. It must be simpler. You have to move through too many windows. In my opinion it should look like this:

I set everything in one window and play.
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:11 pm Thank you very much for your reply phhnguyen. It's all too complicated. It must be simpler. You have to move through too many windows. In my opinion it should look like this:

I set everything in one window and play.
Yes, in fact, users can set up and monitor very things that relate to the network in one window only (network players dock).

However, the logic of the rest is, to create a new game or a new tournament it is much better users can continue to use normal functions as usual instead of learning to use new functions. That is why those functions (to set up for a new game or create a new tournament) are actually "old" and stay "out" of that network window. If a user is familiar with them, he can use them immediately.

Note that the games/tournaments between computers are actually not that simple. It should be more complicated than games/tournaments in one computer only since there are more involving factors, double or even a few timers more players, engines.
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
Krzysztof Grzelak

phhnguyen wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:27 pm Yes, in fact, users can set up and monitor very things that relate to the network in one window only (network players dock).

However, the logic of the rest is, to create a new game or a new tournament it is much better users can continue to use normal functions as usual instead of learning to use new functions. That is why those functions (to set up for a new game or create a new tournament) are actually "old" and stay "out" of that network window. If a user is familiar with them, he can use them immediately.

Note that the games/tournaments between computers are actually not that simple. It should be more complicated than games/tournaments in one computer only since there are more involving factors, double or even a few timers more players, engines.
Try to do it again and simpler. In a simpler way. So that you can present such games online to other people in the world.
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

One small request, is it possible for Banksia to learn from PGN, or does it already does? and if so, how it can be seen?
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:25 pm Try to do it again and simpler. In a simpler way.
Can you suggest how BSG should work in a simpler way? (how to display information and play). Thanks
Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:25 pm So that you can present such games online to other people in the world.
We were discussing about local network playing, not online (not by the Internet) in which only computers/users in a local network can see and play vs each other but not other people. I have been working on other functions to play online.
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Damir wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:19 pm One small request, is it possible for Banksia to learn from PGN, or does it already does? and if so, how it can be seen?
No, BSG doesn't learn anything from PGN. That is the engines' job.

What BSG can do with PGN files:
- View/edit: Just drag and drop them into BSG
- Build databases and/or opening books (both BSG's format and Polyglot). Menu -> Tools
swami

Post by swami »

Thanks so much for offering this GUI. It' fantastic, and has huge potential.

Would like to see the following options:
Ability to save the current status of the tournament into a file, automatically after each game. I had created a tournament of 6 rounds, and after 5 rounds and a powercut, the tournament wasn't saved automatically and when I tried to load the file, it wasn't resuming the last played game. I had to restart the event all over again.
In Knock out mode, viewing the results is bit confusing.
Krzysztof Grzelak

phhnguyen wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:42 pm Can you suggest how BSG should work in a simpler way? (how to display information and play). Thanks
At the beginning thank you for your reply.
Of course, yes, I will describe it in your reply to me. You do one window and everything has to be there:

after clicking on menu -> Connect -> Network players - a window opens with the options that I described below.

1. You do two windows "chess engine name". They must be installed in the program. For example:
Jane = Komodo 13.3 x64
Felicity = Houdini 6.03 x64
A small note here - it can not have any chess engine of the inscription at the beginning rm:: - it does not look like nicely
2. Another window - Tournament - choose the tournament to be played from the list - those that are available in the program.
3. Another window - Round - number of rounds in a tournament or match.
4. Another window - Use of the book by the engines - Of course in different formats - the book must be on the program.
5. Another window - Time - you set the playing time for both engines. Those that are available in the program.
6. Another window - Start - a match between two engines begins.

Everything should be in one window. On both computer monitors should see the match and the inscription:
Komodo 13.3 x64 - Houdini 6.03 x64.There is no inscription on the front of the engine rm::.

If you chose the "Swiss" tournament then:
Jane = we must have more engines
Felicity = we must have more engines

This is how it should look like.
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

swami wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:52 am Thanks so much for offering this GUI. It' fantastic, and has huge potential.

Would like to see the following options:
Ability to save the current status of the tournament into a file, automatically after each game. I had created a tournament of 6 rounds, and after 5 rounds and a powercut, the tournament wasn't saved automatically and when I tried to load the file, it wasn't resuming the last played game. I had to restart the event all over again.
Thanks for the feedback!

I have been trying to speed up the whole BSG system as well as to reduce the bad effects for playing engines by saving tournament info (banksiatour.json, engine logs...) not immediately but after a given period. At the moment the period is about 30s. If your computer and/or BSG is shut down immediately you may lose about 30s of computing. If you close BSG even in the middle of a tournament, the data is still saved fully (without losing anything).

In the next releases, users can configure that delay period or completely turn it off.
swami wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:52 am In Knock out mode, viewing the results is bit confusing.
Can you tell me more about this detail? What confuses? Thanks
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:28 am
phhnguyen wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:42 pm Can you suggest how BSG should work in a simpler way? (how to display information and play). Thanks
At the beginning thank you for your reply.
Of course, yes, I will describe it in your reply to me. You do one window and everything has to be there:

after clicking on menu -> Connect -> Network players - a window opens with the options that I described below.

1. You do two windows "chess engine name". They must be installed in the program. For example:
Jane = Komodo 13.3 x64
Felicity = Houdini 6.03 x64
A small note here - it can not have any chess engine of the inscription at the beginning rm:: - it does not look like nicely
2. Another window - Tournament - choose the tournament to be played from the list - those that are available in the program.
3. Another window - Round - number of rounds in a tournament or match.
4. Another window - Use of the book by the engines - Of course in different formats - the book must be on the program.
5. Another window - Time - you set the playing time for both engines. Those that are available in the program.
6. Another window - Start - a match between two engines begins.

Everything should be in one window. On both computer monitors should see the match and the inscription:
Komodo 13.3 x64 - Houdini 6.03 x64.There is no inscription on the front of the engine rm::.

If you chose the "Swiss" tournament then:
Jane = we must have more engines
Felicity = we must have more engines

This is how it should look like.
Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts and design.

Sure I will remove the prefix "rm" from the next release.

I am a bit confused here since you said you don't want to have more than one window (for network play), but what you introduced here is clearly multi-windows :)

BTW, the scenarios may be more complicated than your post here since BSG has already more functions for local network play:
- not only tournaments it can play normal games. E.g., people and/or engines sitting on several computers, play vs each other (they can play game by game without creating a tournament)
- other people (on other computers) can monitor and/or watch any playing games on that network
- they can chat via the network (for convenience)