Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Modern Times

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by Modern Times »

Guenther wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:23 am
Modern Times wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:19 am OK, so nothing in the pgn to say how much time was spent on each move ?
No. Time is of course there too.

Code: Select all

{+0.46/15 5.4 6817419} = {eval/depth time nodes}
Excellent :) The nodes searched is a nice addition, although perhaps that should be optional . I'll have to try this GUI when I get time.
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

Guenther wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:52 pm Thanks for the new preview version!

I think the buttons below the moves window don't work correctly when loading pgn files.

|< = ok
<  =  >|
>  =  >|
>| = ok
>* = oscillating between start and end position? (intended?)
Thanks for the report!

However, I can't reproduce the problem even I have tried with many PGN files. If you can reproduce with a PGN file, please send it to me.

Note that those buttons are for scrolling moves:
|< = go first
< = go previous
> = go next
>| = go last
>* = auto scroll
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

phhnguyen wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:03 am
Guenther wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:52 pm Thanks for the new preview version!

I think the buttons below the moves window don't work correctly when loading pgn files.

|< = ok
<  =  >|
>  =  >|
>| = ok
>* = oscillating between start and end position? (intended?)
Thanks for the report!

However, I can't reproduce the problem even I have tried with many PGN files. If you can reproduce with a PGN file, please send it to me.

Note that those buttons are for scrolling moves:
|< = go first
< = go previous
> = go next
>| = go last
>* = auto scroll
Hey Nguyen (are Vietnamese names similar to Chinese in that people are addressed by the surname, or the reverse? Plz excuse my cultural ignorance) :oops:),

I have noticed that when I run tournaments in the new version, the program closes (crashes) at around the end of the first round. Have you noticed this? I am using Windows 10.

Also, do you think you can make it so that the Elo ratings are appended to the PGN information.

This way, when I open the tournament PGN in ChessBase or something, I can see the strengths of the respective engines more easily.

Thanks man, love your work and am still shocked by your speed of progress.

Let us know if there's any way we can help with testing specific bugs or anything else, and make your job easier. :wink:

Brendan
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

BrendanJNorman wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:53 am ...
Hey Nguyen (are Vietnamese names similar to Chinese in that people are addressed by the surname, or the reverse? Plz excuse my cultural ignorance) :oops:),
In my home country, people are typically called by their given names. My case is a bit different since my given name is "Nguyen", quite similar to the most popular surname. I realize that name is hard to pronounce for English speakers, thus they usually call me by surname "Pham", pronounced similar to Farm (farmer). You may call me by what is more convenient for you :D
BrendanJNorman wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:53 am
I have noticed that when I run tournaments in the new version, the program closes (crashes) at around the end of the first round. Have you noticed this? I am using Windows 10.
Thanks a lot for the report. I will focus on this issue in the coming time.
BrendanJNorman wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:53 am Also, do you think you can make it so that the Elo ratings are appended to the PGN information.

This way, when I open the tournament PGN in ChessBase or something, I can see the strengths of the respective engines more easily.

Thanks man, love your work and am still shocked by your speed of progress.

Let us know if there's any way we can help with testing specific bugs or anything else, and make your job easier. :wink:

Brendan
I will check this issue. Thanks. BSG has read and considered Elo from PGN files. However, it may store/process inconsistently (I am still struggling with the design/logic issues for Elos).
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

There appears to be some communication issues between the BanksiaGUI and the LiChess Server. Sometimes the gui will crash when begining a BOT match, and other times there seems to be a timeout issue where the server will make a move and the GUI has not recieved it. This causes the Banksia Bot to lose on time.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by phhnguyen »

AdminX wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:35 pm There appears to be some communication issues between the BanksiaGUI and the LiChess Server. Sometimes the gui will crash when begining a BOT match, and other times there seems to be a timeout issue where the server will make a move and the GUI has not recieved it. This causes the Banksia Bot to lose on time.
Thanks a lot for the report. I have started working on that bug.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Can we add international to the country list for flags?

Post by phhnguyen »

AdminX wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:16 am Can we add international to the country list for flags?

Interesting idea! Is your above image the international flag? Do you know its country code (similar to AU, CA, US...)? Of course I can auto assign that flag to any omitted ones.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

phhnguyen wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:01 pm
AdminX wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:16 am Can we add international to the country list for flags?

Interesting idea! Is your above image the international flag? Do you know its country code (similar to AU, CA, US...)? Of course I can auto assign that flag to any omitted ones.
Good question, Answer is I don't know. I have used it for engines such as Stockfish and Lc0.

qt client leader window

Post by Canoike »

Xubuntu 18.04 - 4 Cores
When I launch Banksia GUI and click to make a move I have to wait about 4 minutes for the GUI to unfreeze. A process called "qt client leader window" runs at full speed on one core. After these freezing minutes, I can play at normal speed. Note this only happens once when the GUI is launched.