Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JohnS

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by JohnS »

phhnguyen wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:28 am
JohnS wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:10 am Just started using this and looks good. Simple questions -

1 how to save games from a tournament automatically to a pgn file.
When creating a tournament, you can set up PGN file in the log part as the below illustration.
JohnS wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:10 am 2 whats the best way to update Banksia to new version, what happens to old settings.

Thanks for your work.
You may continue to use. BSG should work with any configuration, including broken ones. You may remove totally all old configurations (or keep only the one for engines banksiaengine.json). To find the folder of configuration files of BSG:
- Open Settings dialog: menu -> File -> Settings (or Preferences)
- From the first tab "General" click on the button on the bottom "Configuration files" to open Configuration files dialog
Just tick to files you want to delete then click on the button "Delete ticked files" or visit the configuration folder to do manually

If you delete the file banksiaengine.json, you may need to re-install all engines. Just drag and drop exe/runnable files one by one to BSG or give it the main folder. It can auto do the rest.

----
Set up PGN file for saving tournament games:
Excellent - thanks for clear explanations, all good now.
Joerg Oster

Post by Joerg Oster »

phhnguyen wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:17 am
Nordlandia wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:54 pm May i kindly request armageddon mode to be up for consideration for to-do-list onwards. Considering that last Komodo support armageddon, implementing it may justify the work needed.
Thank you for the feature request!

At the moment BSG can set up different clocks (time odds) for players (say 6 min for White, 5 min for Black), only missing the way to count a draw as a win for Black (draw odds). Sure I will implement.
I have a request, too.

In addition to the fen and epd of a position, can you also provide the UCI position command if available?
That would be quite handy. :D
Jörg Oster
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

Joerg Oster wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:16 am ...
I have a request, too.

In addition to the fen and epd of a position, can you also provide the UCI position command if available?
That would be quite handy. :D
Interesting idea!!! Thanks!

At the moment BSG can understand the UCI position command (users can copy and paste it into BSG) but not to extract. I am going to implement your idea to have both ways.
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

What does margin per move mean in tournament setup, thanks.
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

JohnS wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:49 am What does margin per move mean in tournament setup, thanks.
When the time is out, BSG doesn't rule the game immediately but wait for a period of the margin. It is good for vs some issues such as delaying between engines and GUIs in some systems, give changes for some engines which use time too hard...
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

phhnguyen wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:42 am
JohnS wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:49 am What does margin per move mean in tournament setup, thanks.
When the time is out, BSG doesn't rule the game immediately but wait for a period of the margin. It is good for vs some issues such as delaying between engines and GUIs in some systems, give changes for some engines which use time too hard...
Thank again, all clear.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

I noticed something that can be adjusted. The "syzygy adjudication" should be seperate to that of the syzygy path for engines.

I.e. syzygy folder for adjudication and syzygy folder for engines.

As of now the syzygy folder overlaps. The issue is that i can't figure out how to just let engines probe 5-men during the search and let games auto adjudicate at 7-pieces. One section for adjudication and should not interfere with engine syzygy
Maybe i'm wrong.
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Nordlandia wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:57 pm I noticed something that can be adjusted. The "syzygy adjudication" should be seperate to that of the syzygy path for engines.

I.e. syzygy folder for adjudication and syzygy folder for engines.

As of now the syzygy folder overlaps. The issue is that i can't figure out how to just let engines probe 5-men during the search and let games auto adjudicate at 7-pieces. One section for adjudication and should not interfere with engine syzygy
Maybe i'm wrong.
BSG used to have two Syzygy systems for normal games and tournament games since it has two different JSON files to configure them. However, I realized that may make users be confused, harder to use when the benefit (with two separated Syzygy systems) is so little. Thus we spent some time to merge them into one.

I understand your need and have taken note of that and will review later. Thanks for the request.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

The way cutechess gui do it. "Syzygy tablebase path" -> Tablebase adjudication. Once the tablebase location has been added, the checkbox for tablebase adjudication become available.

Syzygy path for engines need to be added manually. This can be argued to be little inconvenient at times but it works.
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Nordlandia wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:17 am The way cutechess gui do it. "Syzygy tablebase path" -> Tablebase adjudication. Once the tablebase location has been added, the checkbox for tablebase adjudication become available.

Syzygy path for engines need to be added manually. This can be argued to be little inconvenient at times but it works.
ATM, you may do similar with BSG: setup Syzygy path manually for engines (don't tick the box Overall option) and set up a different one for Tournament for adjudication.