Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, bob, hgm

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Gabor Szots
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:43 am
Location: Szentendre, Hungary
Full name: Gabor Szots

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by Gabor Szots » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:49 am

How do I play a gauntlet in a way that the main player plays 1 game against each of the opponents then another one against each and so on. So that all opponents have the same number of games after each round.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group

User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 852
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham
Contact:

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:21 am

Gabor Szots wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:49 am
How do I play a gauntlet in a way that the main player plays 1 game against each of the opponents then another one against each and so on. So that all opponents have the same number of games after each round.
I think that is round-robin in which each engine vs all others.
https://banksiagui.com
A freeware chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager

Gabor Szots
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:43 am
Location: Szentendre, Hungary
Full name: Gabor Szots

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by Gabor Szots » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:28 am

phhnguyen wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:21 am
Gabor Szots wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:49 am
How do I play a gauntlet in a way that the main player plays 1 game against each of the opponents then another one against each and so on. So that all opponents have the same number of games after each round.
I think that is round-robin in which each engine vs all others.
No, I meant that one player plays a round against all the others, then the same player another round against all the others, etc. until the required games against all players are fulfilled.
E.g. you have a 5-player gauntlet with 6 rounds. Player 1 plays against players 2, 3, 4 and 5, then again player 1 plays against players 2, 3, 4 and 5 again then it plays 4 more times against all of the rest until player 1 has 6 games against each of the others. The total number of games will be 24.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group

User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 852
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham
Contact:

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:14 am

Gabor Szots wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:28 am
phhnguyen wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:21 am
Gabor Szots wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:49 am
How do I play a gauntlet in a way that the main player plays 1 game against each of the opponents then another one against each and so on. So that all opponents have the same number of games after each round.
I think that is round-robin in which each engine vs all others.
No, I meant that one player plays a round against all the others, then the same player another round against all the others, etc. until the required games against all players are fulfilled.
E.g. you have a 5-player gauntlet with 6 rounds. Player 1 plays against players 2, 3, 4 and 5, then again player 1 plays against players 2, 3, 4 and 5 again then it plays 4 more times against all of the rest until player 1 has 6 games against each of the others. The total number of games will be 24.
I see!

The Gauntlet in BSG does not have rounds. Thus you may do after selecting Gauntlet from tournament type box:

1) set Games/pair to 6. BSG will play each pair (in which the main engine vs another) 6 times

BTW, the number of players and the way pairing them after each round as you described don't change, thus dividing games by rounds has no much meaning.

2) play a tournament 6 times. After each tournament (= 1 round), just right-click to the game list to open the popup menu, click on "Reset to reuse" and you can start playing that tournament again.
https://banksiagui.com
A freeware chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager

Gabor Szots
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:43 am
Location: Szentendre, Hungary
Full name: Gabor Szots

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by Gabor Szots » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:27 am

phhnguyen wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:14 am
Gabor Szots wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:28 am
phhnguyen wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:21 am
Gabor Szots wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:49 am
How do I play a gauntlet in a way that the main player plays 1 game against each of the opponents then another one against each and so on. So that all opponents have the same number of games after each round.
I think that is round-robin in which each engine vs all others.
No, I meant that one player plays a round against all the others, then the same player another round against all the others, etc. until the required games against all players are fulfilled.
E.g. you have a 5-player gauntlet with 6 rounds. Player 1 plays against players 2, 3, 4 and 5, then again player 1 plays against players 2, 3, 4 and 5 again then it plays 4 more times against all of the rest until player 1 has 6 games against each of the others. The total number of games will be 24.
I see!

The Gauntlet in BSG does not have rounds. Thus you may do after selecting Gauntlet from tournament type box:

1) set Games/pair to 6. BSG will play each pair (in which the main engine vs another) 6 times

BTW, the number of players and the way pairing them after each round as you described don't change, thus dividing games by rounds has no much meaning.

2) play a tournament 6 times. After each tournament (= 1 round), just right-click to the game list to open the popup menu, click on "Reset to reuse" and you can start playing that tournament again.
Thanks, I appreciate your quick replies.

I usually play a gauntlet with 32 games in each pairing. That means that by selecting workaround 1 I will have 32 games against one particular engine before the main engine plays a new opponent. That is just what I would like to avoid. So I must go with workaround 2, which seems a bit tedious and requires permanent attention (so that I can notice the tournament has ended and a new one has to be started).
In short, what I am asking for is something what Arena does and is called 'caroussel'.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group

User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 852
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham
Contact:

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:36 am

Gabor Szots wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:27 am
Thanks, I appreciate your quick replies.

I usually play a gauntlet with 32 games in each pairing. That means that by selecting workaround 1 I will have 32 games against one particular engine before the main engine plays a new opponent. That is just what I would like to avoid. So I must go with workaround 2, which seems a bit tedious and requires permanent attention (so that I can notice the tournament has ended and a new one has to be started).
In short, what I am asking for is something what Arena does and is called 'caroussel'.
Interesting idea! Thank you. I have added it to my TODO list!

For the current version of BSG, you may set Shuffle to games, BSG will shuffle all games randomly before playing.

Another temporary solution: when creating a new tournament, untick to "Play" box (next to "Start" button) to create a tournament without playing (or just create normally the tournament but stop playing immediately). Now you can sort the game list manually by dragging/dropping or selecting and using up/down buttons on that panel to move games to the right positions. Do until you are satisfied with the order then start playing as usual.
https://banksiagui.com
A freeware chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager

Gabor Szots
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:43 am
Location: Szentendre, Hungary
Full name: Gabor Szots

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by Gabor Szots » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:16 pm

phhnguyen wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:36 am
Gabor Szots wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:27 am
Thanks, I appreciate your quick replies.

I usually play a gauntlet with 32 games in each pairing. That means that by selecting workaround 1 I will have 32 games against one particular engine before the main engine plays a new opponent. That is just what I would like to avoid. So I must go with workaround 2, which seems a bit tedious and requires permanent attention (so that I can notice the tournament has ended and a new one has to be started).
In short, what I am asking for is something what Arena does and is called 'caroussel'.
Interesting idea! Thank you. I have added it to my TODO list!

For the current version of BSG, you may set Shuffle to games, BSG will shuffle all games randomly before playing.

Another temporary solution: when creating a new tournament, untick to "Play" box (next to "Start" button) to create a tournament without playing (or just create normally the tournament but stop playing immediately). Now you can sort the game list manually by dragging/dropping or selecting and using up/down buttons on that panel to move games to the right positions. Do until you are satisfied with the order then start playing as usual.
Thanks for the hints, Nguyen. And for your willingness to implement suggestions. Banksia is going to have a great career.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group

User avatar
AdminX
Posts: 5515
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Acworth, GA
Contact:

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by AdminX » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:17 pm

I have noticed that I have been unable to view both engines PVs at the same time. I have ponder on set for each engine, but still only displays one engines pvs. The engine whos turn it is to move.

Image

Also, for some multicore engines I had to add code to the engine Json file because it did not detect the threads setting.

Code: Select all


{
        "default" : 8,
        "max" : 8,
        "min" : 1,
        "name" : "Threads",
        "type" : "spin",
        "value" : 1
      },
     
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
__________________________________________________________________
Ted Summers

User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 852
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham
Contact:

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:09 am

AdminX wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:17 pm
I have noticed that I have been unable to view both engines PVs at the same time. I have ponder on set for each engine, but still only displays one engines pvs. The engine whos turn it is to move.

Image
Thanks a lot for the report. I will fix it in the next release.
AdminX wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:17 pm
Also, for some multicore engines I had to add code to the engine Json file because it did not detect the threads setting.

Code: Select all


{
        "default" : 8,
        "max" : 8,
        "min" : 1,
        "name" : "Threads",
        "type" : "spin",
        "value" : 1
      },
     
Can you give me some names of those engines? I just guess they may use option's names with different lower/upper characters. I need to verify it. Thanks
https://banksiagui.com
A freeware chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager

User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 852
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham
Contact:

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:51 am

Gabor Szots wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:25 am
I would like to install several engines. When I invoke the Settings button and install one of them, I would like to go back to my list of engines (which is in an editor) to see which engines are left to be installed but the installation window covers it and I can read only parts of the list and only by moving the installation window back and forth because no other window can come to the foreground. That is not particularly comfortable to do.
Interesting issue. It is fixed for the next release. Thanks for the report.
https://banksiagui.com
A freeware chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager

Post Reply