New engine releases 2020

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Terje
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:34 am
Location: https://github.com/TerjeKir/weiss
Full name: Terje Kirstihagen

Re: New engine releases 2020

Post by Terje » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:14 pm

Weiss 1.1 released https://github.com/TerjeKir/weiss/releases/tag/v1.1

55 self-play elo at normal time controls, about double that at cyclic time control (1.0 did not handle cyclic well) :D

Windows binaries provided as usual - you can likely get better performance compiling yourself with "make pgo". This assumes a machine that supports pext, if anyone wants to try compiling with pgo for older machines I can give directions on how to do it, it's simple :)

Gabor Szots
Posts: 583
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:43 am
Location: Szentendre, Hungary
Full name: Gabor Szots

Re: New engine releases 2020

Post by Gabor Szots » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:49 pm

Thank you Terje.

From the command line 'go depth 15' exits the program. I tried ucinewgame and position startpos first, to no avail. So I had to install under Shredder both your exe and my compile to measure speed.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group

Terje
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:34 am
Location: https://github.com/TerjeKir/weiss
Full name: Terje Kirstihagen

Re: New engine releases 2020

Post by Terje » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:26 pm

Gabor Szots wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:49 pm
Thank you Terje.

From the command line 'go depth 15' exits the program. I tried ucinewgame and position startpos first, to no avail. So I had to install under Shredder both your exe and my compile to measure speed.
Weiss expects an 'isready' before go, sorry :D

Luecx
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:20 pm
Full name: Finn Eggers

Re: New engine releases 2020

Post by Luecx » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:37 pm

Koivisto 1.0

Some strangers and I have written this engine for about 4 months now, and we estimate its strength to be between 2800 and 2900.
We're still figuring out the build process, so for now, you might have to compile yourself. It's a single makefile.

https://github.com/Luecx/Koivisto



The engine supports all important UCI commands together with additional print (to print the board) and eval for a detailed overview of the evaluation.

We'd also like to have this run in CCRL, but we're not very familiar with the process. We hope there is interest in testing our engine.

perejaslav
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:01 am
Location: Cold

Re: New engine releases 2020

Post by perejaslav » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:08 pm

September 2, 2020: Stockfish 12 released. This version of Stockfish plays significantly stronger than any of its predecessors. In a match against Stockfish 11, Stockfish 12 will typically win at least ten times more game pairs than it loses.

https://stockfishchess.org/download/

Never been heard about this engine. How strong is it?

alex67a
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:15 am
Full name: Alessandro colella

Re: New engine releases 2020

Post by alex67a » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:09 pm

Luecx wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:37 pm
Koivisto 1.0

Some strangers and I have written this engine for about 4 months now, and we estimate its strength to be between 2800 and 2900.
We're still figuring out the build process, so for now, you might have to compile yourself. It's a single makefile.

https://github.com/Luecx/Koivisto



The engine supports all important UCI commands together with additional print (to print the board) and eval for a detailed overview of the evaluation.

We'd also like to have this run in CCRL, but we're not very familiar with the process. We hope there is interest in testing our engine.
Executable, please

Gabor Szots
Posts: 583
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:43 am
Location: Szentendre, Hungary
Full name: Gabor Szots

Re: New engine releases 2020

Post by Gabor Szots » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:26 am

Luecx wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:37 pm
Koivisto 1.0

Some strangers and I have written this engine for about 4 months now, and we estimate its strength to be between 2800 and 2900.
We're still figuring out the build process, so for now, you might have to compile yourself. It's a single makefile.

https://github.com/Luecx/Koivisto



The engine supports all important UCI commands together with additional print (to print the board) and eval for a detailed overview of the evaluation.

We'd also like to have this run in CCRL, but we're not very familiar with the process. We hope there is interest in testing our engine.
Not clear what figuring out the build process means. And, at your home page you write:
A few compiler warnings about unused functions might pop up. Those functions are only from the syzygy code which have been copied from Fathom
If you don't use syzygy/*.c in your make file, only syzygy/tbprobe.c then all compiler warnings disappear.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group

Luecx
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:20 pm
Full name: Finn Eggers

Re: New engine releases 2020

Post by Luecx » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:32 pm

Gabor Szots wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:26 am
Luecx wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:37 pm
Koivisto 1.0

Some strangers and I have written this engine for about 4 months now, and we estimate its strength to be between 2800 and 2900.
We're still figuring out the build process, so for now, you might have to compile yourself. It's a single makefile.

https://github.com/Luecx/Koivisto



The engine supports all important UCI commands together with additional print (to print the board) and eval for a detailed overview of the evaluation.

We'd also like to have this run in CCRL, but we're not very familiar with the process. We hope there is interest in testing our engine.
Not clear what figuring out the build process means. And, at your home page you write:
A few compiler warnings about unused functions might pop up. Those functions are only from the syzygy code which have been copied from Fathom
If you don't use syzygy/*.c in your make file, only syzygy/tbprobe.c then all compiler warnings disappear.
Oh thank you very much on this one!
What we mean is that we are not yet able to build a static executable due to marche=native which is required for our SSE/AVX code to run.
Therefor one needs to compile the project in order to get a working executable. We are trying to solve this issue at the moment.

Jamal Bubker
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: New engine releases 2020

Post by Jamal Bubker » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:18 pm

Thanks Graham for announcing this new engine on the scene and thanks to its author Jonathan for releasing publicly this new strong engine :D :D

[quote="Graham Banks" post_id=858807 time=1599020466 user_id=6]
Copied from CCRL public forum:

[i]Hi all,

I've spent the last couple months shut in at home making my own chess engine, and I think it's finally ready for release and rating!

Name: Jonathan Tseng
Engine name: Beef
Nationality: US
Protocol: UCI
Open source: https://github.com/jtseng20/Beef/releases/tag/v0.2

I estimate from limited fast testing that Beef is around 3000.

I work on a linux machine, so the makefile should work for linux, and my windows compiles are made with visual c++, but I am not completely sure yet if everything is correct. Please tell me if there are any problems with the given binaries. Thanks![/i]
[/quote]

Jamal Bubker
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: New engine releases 2020

Post by Jamal Bubker » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:20 pm

Thank you Terje :D great job for this huge improvment !! 8-)

[quote=Terje post_id=858862 time=1599063297 user_id=12185]
Weiss 1.1 released https://github.com/TerjeKir/weiss/releases/tag/v1.1

55 self-play elo at normal time controls, about double that at cyclic time control (1.0 did not handle cyclic well) :D

Windows binaries provided as usual - you can likely get better performance compiling yourself with "make pgo". This assumes a machine that supports pext, if anyone wants to try compiling with pgo for older machines I can give directions on how to do it, it's simple :)
[/quote]

Post Reply