What depths do you get with theThreadripper?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

What depths do you get with theThreadripper?

Post by Eelco de Groot »

In reference to a question on Fishcooking from Branko, with a new 3950X, I was wondering if the guys here with Threadrippers could maybe check if the depths are okay. The bench result that Branko reported with 32 threads is impressive, but I should he not get deeper with Stockfish even if it is only Stockfish 10. On an i7, I think I got to depth 20 in about one second, if the position was not too complicated. And that was with a single thread Stockfish. Less in a middlegame situation but in 5 seconds, on so many threads, I think it is a bit strange that he does not get higher depths.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
MikeB

Re: What depths do you get with theThreadripper?

Post by MikeB »

Eelco de Groot wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:33 pm In reference to a question on Fishcooking from Branko, with a new 3950X, I was wondering if the guys here with Threadrippers could maybe check if the depths are okay. The bench result that Branko reported with 32 threads is impressive, but I should he not get deeper with Stockfish even if it is only Stockfish 10. On an i7, I think I got to depth 20 in about one second, if the position was not too complicated. And that was with a single thread Stockfish. Less in a middlegame situation but in 5 seconds, on so many threads, I think it is a bit strange that he does not get higher depths.
Based on his bench results , he should be depth 26 in about 3 seconds on average. Less in the opening and quite a bit more in endgames. He needs to upgrade his engine - SF 10 is quite a it weaker than current development . The hash size he is using is way too small for a Threadripper. At 3 seconds , he should be using 2048M. And for every doubling of time after that , he should double his hash. 6 seconds , 4096 etc. His bench time is quite impressive . Linux with huge pages will help.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Thanks for looking into it Mike! You confirm more or less what I thought. The bench seemed good so that is a good start, and the hardware, cooling etc seem certainly up to the task. So if it is just a question of giving more hash, that is easy to do. At least for starters.

I don't know if he has found this forum yet but I will give a link to this thread.

Typing this from an old AMD Athlon, ca. 2005, still going after all the Intels have died :roll: Like the picture of your room with all the computers. I counted two Windows, two MacOS and one Ubuntu Linux.

Eelco
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Eelco de Groot wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:33 pm In reference to a question on Fishcooking from Branko, with a new 3950X, I was wondering if the guys here with Threadrippers could maybe check if the depths are okay. The bench result that Branko reported with 32 threads is impressive, but I should he not get deeper with Stockfish even if it is only Stockfish 10. On an i7, I think I got to depth 20 in about one second, if the position was not too complicated. And that was with a single thread Stockfish. Less in a middlegame situation but in 5 seconds, on so many threads, I think it is a bit strange that he does not get higher depths.
He is not losing because of his CPU. When playing online against other mostly Stockfish computers. The most important thing that dictates the win loss ratio. Is not the CPU, hash, threads..... It is the OPENING BOOK!!! with contempt set to 0. Again it is all about optimizing your configuration.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.