Classes of chess pieces for chess variants

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

RichV
Full name: Rich VanDeventer

Re: Classes of chess pieces for chess variants

Post by RichV »

Ovyron wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:38 pm To me rule checking is a must. I remember trying to play Magic the Gathering online and it was very frustrating to have my opponent telling me how I should be doing things and not doing others and how I was forgetting to do things, I didn't play more than one game...
Hi Ovyron, It sounds like Magic the Gathering has a complicated set of rules. I remember years ago watching my soon play a complex online game. He was constantly referring to his 250+ page book about the game. There seemed to be hundreds of characters, each of which had different sets of possible weapons, ammo, and moves. And there were different types of spells, power, healing things, etc. etc. It was mind boggling to me.

I am so glad that chess is much more straight forward, has a relatively small number of simple rules, and a small set of pieces that have simple moves. In the Steam Tabletop Simulator, a game developer can include a rules notebook. For my Castle Siege Chess - Legendary Army games, there are only 5 additional simple rules and they are explained in a Notebook, which is accessed at the top of Tabletop Simulator screen. Do you play board games on Steam's Tabletop Simulator? I am new to it, so I have not figured out yet how to start a game with another Steam member. It must be pretty simple. Would you like to play one of my games with me?
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

RichV wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:59 pm Do you play board games on Steam's Tabletop Simulator?
No, I haven't been lucky with Steam, games I've installed have been crashing to the desktop.
RichV

Post by RichV »

Ovyron, Steam is quite computer resources intensive when running a high-resolution, 3D, full motion game. I bought Chess Ultra and played one game, so far. I have a gaming laptop and Chess Ultra consumed so much resources that the computer would barely run one of my MS Office apps. However, when running a simple game like mine in Tabletop Simulator, I did not have that problem at all.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

I never tried to run those intensive games in my PC, just the simple stuff, and they crash when trying to launch them.

I'd rather wait until a solution like a server with the variant implemented that Winboard can access, or a website with the variant implemented that checks for move legality like lichess is made. It'd be a shame if such solutions were abandoned because Tabletop Simulator was deemed good enough.
RichV

Post by RichV »

Ovyron, I am not happy with Tabletop Simulator either. But at 75 I don't know how many more good years mentally that I have left. So I have to take what I can get to put my games out there. I am going to have to start trolling the local universities/colleges game development students and local game programmers more to see if I can interest anyone in trying to program Castle Siege Chess - Legendary Armies. Since I am retired and don't have much extra money, it is going to be an uphill struggle. I will also try to interest ZoG again in lowering the price of their game engine. $25 for an outdated, unattended game engine just seems very high to me and to my customers. I think if they lowered the price to $10 and paid attention to their website they could greatly increase their sales.