Nvidia’s next-gen Ampere GPUs

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

vladcuarto
Full name: Vlad Cuarto

Nvidia’s next-gen Ampere GPUs

Post by vladcuarto »

https://www.techradar.com/news/nvidias- ... ver-turing

What about this for GPU engines?

Stop buying a new PC for a few months?

Is techradar a serious site? Another good GPUs CPUs information sites?
mwyoung

Re: Nvidia’s next-gen Ampere GPUs

Post by mwyoung »

vladcuarto wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:32 am https://www.techradar.com/news/nvidias- ... ver-turing

What about this for GPU engines?

Stop buying a new PC for a few months?

Is techradar a serious site? Another good GPUs CPUs information sites?
Going to 7nm can give you better performance. 50% better maybe. But here is what is very dubious about the artical. 7nm will not get you both 50% better performance and do it using 50% the power. You can do one or the other, but not both at the same time.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

The news piece comes from Tom's Hardware, which was a well established and respected outfit.

I've been waiting for Ampere since I saw the consumption figures for the RTX cards, so in my case is not a question of whether but rather of how much.
dragontamer5788
Full name: Percival Tiglao

Post by dragontamer5788 »

Ozymandias wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:13 am The news piece comes from Tom's Hardware, which was a well established and respected outfit.
Was a respected outfit. But they've posted some questionable articles recently. They're probably still better than a generic website, but I wouldn't trust them to get all the details correct anymore. Thomas Pabst sold the site off years ago, and its been getting sold to various owners.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

dragontamer5788 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:31 pm
Ozymandias wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:13 am The news piece comes from Tom's Hardware, which was a well established and respected outfit.
Was a respected outfit. But they've posted some questionable articles recently. They're probably still better than a generic website, but I wouldn't trust them to get all the details correct anymore. Thomas Pabst sold the site off years ago, and its been getting sold to various owners.
Yeah, the same could be said for techradar. In fact, both sites look like clones now.

Anandtech also gives that generic blog feel, x-bit labs died a long time ago... is there any anyone holding the fort anymore?
dragontamer5788
Full name: Percival Tiglao

Post by dragontamer5788 »

Ozymandias wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:32 pm
Yeah, the same could be said for techradar. In fact, both sites look like clones now.

Anandtech also gives that generic blog feel, x-bit labs died a long time ago... is there any anyone holding the fort anymore?
Anandtech is the best I've found today unfortunately, and its kinda sad because that site isn't quite what it used to be. Still, its where I go these days for recent tech articles.

TomsHardware and Anandtech are owned by the same company, but Anandtech still has Ian Cutress making solid articles.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

dragontamer5788 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:58 pm
Ozymandias wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:32 pm

Anandtech is the best I've found today unfortunately, and its kinda sad because that site isn't quite what it used to be. Still, its where I go these days for recent tech articles.

TomsHardware and Anandtech are owned by the same company, but Anandtech still has Ian Cutress making solid articles.
I also favor Anandtech, and for the same reason, but it's a far cry from what it was. With Anand, we lost his way with words, and it's not like we even have as many articles as we once had anyway.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.