WinBoard engines incapable of playing incremental clock

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

WinBoard engines incapable of playing incremental clock

Post by Gabor Szots »

Hi all,

As we are going to switch our blitz games to incremental (Fischer) clock, I have compiled a list of WB engines which I think cannot play with that TC. I'd like to ask your help to check the list and correct errors.
In the attached list I marked the engines in which I am not sure but I may be mistaken with unmarked engines as well.

Thanks in advance.
Adamant

Amateur (?)

Amundsen

Anatoli (?)

Averno

Belzebub

Betsabé (?)

Bruja

Cecir

ChessKISS (?)

ChessRikus

Dimitri (?)

Elf

Enxadrista

Gargamella

Jonesy

Kanguruh

Milady

nanoSzachy

Nesik (?)

NoraGrace (?)

OBender

Popochín

Prophet3

Pulsar (?)

Rainman (?)

Rataaerospacial

Ronja (?)

Sloppy (?)

Swordfight

The Crazy Bishop (?)

TSCP

Vicki
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
Ovyron

Re: WinBoard engines incapable of playing incremental clock

Post by Ovyron »

Can an adapter be created for those? The adapter would know the remaining time and the increment and calculate a time to send to the Winboard engine so that it is able to play and would play at a similar rhythm as if it supported increment.
pedrox

Post by pedrox »

I am not sure I understand the question.

I'm going to comment on an example, the TSCP engine. TSCP has a very simple time control management.

When TSCP plays a time control such as x moves in y minutes and the time control is repeated, TSCP does not know how many moves are left for time control, so what it does is divide the time that remains between 30 moves that it think that are left for the end of the game (or in this case this will be valid until the next check control). This means that TSCP does not optimize time well with this control, in movement 39 for example if it has 1 minute of time left, it will divide it by 30 and take only 2 seconds to make this play so important. Time management is not optimized but there will be no lost games for time or other problems.

When TSCP plays games in which there is no play control, but you have to play all the moves in a certain time with either increase or not, TSCP will simply divide the time left between 30 moves that are supposed to be left for the game over. If there is no increase in time, it is possible that TSCP in blitz will end up losing time games in around 150-200 plays (other engines with better management too). If there is an increase in time, for example of 1 second or more, we have to take into account, that after moving, Winboard automatically adds this time to the time it sends to the remaining time the engine, which by dividing by 30 and always making a Increase it is possible for TSCP to retain about 30 seconds in your watch during the whole game, something that other engines may hurry more. Perhaps the optimization of time control is not the best, but this does not cause problems in games.

Popochin has the same time management as TSCP. I don't know other engines, but I have used some engines successfully in a time control with increment 2 + 2.

Averno, Betsabé, Bruja (maybe some lost for time), Cecir, ChessKISS, Popochin, Rataaeroespacial.

Here a small list with 2 + 2 time control: https://sites.google.com/site/motoresde ... spanos/elo
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

pedrox wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:55 am Popochin has the same time management as TSCP. I don't know other engines, but I have used some engines successfully in a time control with increment 2 + 2.

Averno, Betsabé, Bruja (maybe some lost for time), Cecir, ChessKISS, Popochin, Rataaeroespacial.

Here a small list with 2 + 2 time control: https://sites.google.com/site/motoresde ... spanos/elo
Thanks for the reply, Pedro.

I wanted to know if an engine understands level 0 2 1 at all. It may crash or misinterpret the time control in some other way. I have tried the engines on my attached list from the command line. Some told me that 'level' was an illegal command, some did not display anything. So in those cases I don't know under what time control they will play. I even searched the executables for the word 'level' and some engines do not have that string in them.
I remember there were engines which refused to play with 40 moves in 1 minute and 50 seconds. They did not understand the command that WinBoard sent them.
So if I find engines which behave incorrectly with 2+1 I am going to use them with the traditional 40/2.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

I have tested a lot (most?) of the engines in that list and I use incremental. Didn't have problems with them besides some isolated time loses or crashes. Are you sure that all of those engines are WinBoard "ONLY" and can't use UCI?
Follow my tournament and some Leela gauntlets live at http://twitch.tv/ccls
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

CMCanavessi wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:40 pm I have tested a lot (most?) of the engines in that list and I use incremental. Didn't have problems with them besides some isolated time loses or crashes. Are you sure that all of those engines are WinBoard "ONLY" and can't use UCI?
Yes, I keep WB-only engines in a separate folder, the list contains only engines from that folder.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group