While you were sleeping ...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

While you were sleeping ...

Post by AdminX »

While you were sleeping Chessbase quietly removed Chessbase Online and Fritz from the Google Play Store. I contacted them in mid January about this and received this reply.

"The ChessBase Android Apps are in repair. We don’t have a date when it is back yet unfortunately."

So if you bought these apps and need to reinstall them, you will need to get their APK's and install them manually.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Re: While you were sleeping ...

Post by Albert Silver »

Strange. I haven't used them very recently, but have not noted any issues either. I will ask what is up. News to me.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Albert Silver wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:44 pm Strange. I haven't used them very recently, but have not noted any issues either. I will ask what is up. News to me.
I did not have any issues with the apps either, however I purchased a New Tablet over the holidays and wanted to install them on it. That is when I noticed that they were not available, so I contacted Google who referred me back to Chessbase.

Post by AdminX »

UPDATE: I checked a few moments ago and I am happy to report that they are now available once again. :D

Post by mephisto »

Still won't work on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A
What's my next move? - to the fridge for another beer !!
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

mephisto wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:34 pm Still won't work on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A
It may not be worth your time, but you always have the option of removing stock Android and installing something like LineageOS on your Samsung Galaxy Tab A. I did this for my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 which was no longer receiving product support from Samsung.

The good news for me is that all of my Android chess apps also now work on my new i5 Google Pixel Slate. I am now thinking about doing a Linux install of Picochess on this Slate device, since it is working out well for me on my Raspberry Pi.
Full name: N.N.

Post by Eduard »

Yes, Fritz and ChessBase Online are back, but not PlayChess.com (German Schach.de). PlayChess.com apk is needed to play on PlayChess from your smartphone. I've made a backup.