New engine: Stash

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
mvanthoor
Full name: Marcel Vanthoor

Re: New engine: Stash

Post by mvanthoor » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:43 pm

Hi :) Good going :)

I see Stash in the CCRL blitz list as version 9.0.1 @ 1415 ELO, and 11.0.1 @ 1753 ELO.

That is a huge jump. Is that the difference between a version without and with hash table? Is Stash still a piece/square iterator, or did you convert it to using bitboards? (I remember reading something like that, but I don't know for sure. I could be thinking of a different new engine.)

(I've just finished the Perft function and testing; everything seems to be OK. Moving on to search somewhere this week :))

mhouppin
Full name: Morgan Houppin

Re: New engine: Stash

Post by mhouppin » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:46 am

mvanthoor wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:43 pm
Hi :) Good going :)

I see Stash in the CCRL blitz list as version 9.0.1 @ 1415 ELO, and 11.0.1 @ 1753 ELO.

That is a huge jump. Is that the difference between a version without and with hash table? Is Stash still a piece/square iterator, or did you convert it to using bitboards? (I remember reading something like that, but I don't know for sure. I could be thinking of a different new engine.)

(I've just finished the Perft function and testing; everything seems to be OK. Moving on to search somewhere this week :))
The huge jump was to attribute principally to the Quiescence Search function that I implemented in version 10 (around 200 Elo gain). Bitboards were implemented in version 9 (around 250 Elo gain). The hash table improved the move ordering and has been an incredible must in endgames (with enormous depth boosts), and the version 10 got outplayed by the version 11 each time they arrived to the endgame (around 130 more Elo).