Insults from a member in pm ... Why ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Re: Insults from a member in pm ... Why ?

Post by Dann Corbit »

A manly response Ovyron. Much respect.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
maxdeg

Post by maxdeg »

Ovyron wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:18 pm Haha! Yeah, I even explained why my acts might have been seen as those from an arrogant fool and all.

Being called a fool isn't an insult, though, because fools can't know if they're fools, any person being called that can't say "I'm not a fool" because they can't prove it, and they wouldn't know if they were. Anyone could say "you're a fool for thinking you could defend 1.g4 against Harvey", and I don't have a way to refute that; it's foolish enough.
+1
:mrgreen: :D
maxdeg

Post by maxdeg »

Dann Corbit wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:54 am A manly response Ovyron. Much respect.
+1
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Dann Corbit wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:37 pm
De Noose Daniel wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:56 pm I just receive insulting message from "Daniel Kemmer / SheikhYerbouti" ...

I don't understand why ?

Have I said something wrong here ?
I have had a few personal messages (mostly in other forums) where I highly suspect alcohol was involved.
In electronic communications in any open forum, such interactions are almost inevitable.
Sorry about that! I misread the recipe for the Chicken Marsala I was making that night and made a fool of myself :oops:
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Ovyron wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:18 pm Haha! Yeah, I even explained why my acts might have been seen as those from an arrogant fool and all.

Being called a fool isn't an insult, though, because fools can't know if they're fools, any person being called that can't say "I'm not a fool" because they can't prove it, and they wouldn't know if they were. Anyone could say "you're a fool for thinking you could defend 1.g4 against Harvey", and I don't have a way to refute that; it's foolish enough.
Insult does not have to be something that is not correct.

I think that saying about another person that he is a fool is an insult because it saying something bad about another person when there is no justification to do it(you can express the same opinion simply by saying something like "thinking that you could defend 1.g4 against harvey was a mistake" when the subject is not you but thinking).

I think that a person is allowed to say "I am a fool" but he is not allowed to say about another person that he is a fool(assuming you do not allow insults in the forum).
cc2150dx
Full name: Jason Coombs

Post by cc2150dx »

De Noose Daniel wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:56 pm I just receive insulting message from "Daniel Kemmer / SheikhYerbouti" ...

I don't understand why ?

Here's some useful information: http://talkchess.com/forum3/app.php/help/faq#f5r2
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I don't understand why ?

1. Not always the friendliest place.

2. No

It weird that you got a PM with insults. That hasn't happen to me ... yet , but I am sure it will now. ;>)
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Uri Blass wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:05 am I think that a person is allowed to say "I am a fool" but he is not allowed to say about another person that he is a fool(assuming you do not allow insults in the forum).
But how would they know they're fools if nobody tells them? I actually appreciate criticism as I've found it useful in the past, but for criticism to be useful, one should allow people to say those "not so nice" words without getting offended.

They're just words, what people should learn is to not be hurt by pixels on their screen forming what looks like letters spelling something they didn't like reading.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Ovyron wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:41 am
Uri Blass wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:05 am I think that a person is allowed to say "I am a fool" but he is not allowed to say about another person that he is a fool(assuming you do not allow insults in the forum).
But how would they know they're fools if nobody tells them? I actually appreciate criticism as I've found it useful in the past, but for criticism to be useful, one should allow people to say those "not so nice" words without getting offended.

They're just words, what people should learn is to not be hurt by pixels on their screen forming what looks like letters spelling something they didn't like reading.
It is not about you and me.
It is generally about people.

The fact are that if you call other people fools then part of these people is going to stop participate in discussion and it is not good.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Are they? I've seen the opposite. It's like people get addicted to bullet chess and then get angry when they lose on time on a won position, yet they come back for more. It seems related to adrenaline. So there's people that become addicted to heated discussions that include insults, and they come back for more.

It even happened to me recently, as I was going to take a break from Talkchess, but then Guenther made an insulting post asking me to leave Talkchess, and I thought "now I can't take a break because Guenther will think it's because of what he said", and so I didn't take a break, and history changed because if I had taken it the 1.g4 games wouldn't have taken place at all.

Some insulting people give the motivation to continue posting, part of the experience of posting on forums is the engagement with such people, comparable to the enemies of video games. Video games would have never been popular if the main character went from start to finish without finding an opponent.