32 bit Windows users needed ...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 3945
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am
Location: Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania

32 bit Windows users needed ...

Post by MikeB » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:55 am

Please download the 32 bit Windows binaries ( Honey and company - 10 engines in total ) and see if they work on your 32 bit Windows setup.

https://github.com/MichaelB7/Stockfish/ ... es/Windows

Please advise.

Thank you,

MikeB

User avatar
Eelco de Groot
Posts: 4236
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:40 am
Location: Groningen

Re: 32 bit Windows users needed ...

Post by Eelco de Groot » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:16 pm

I just had a quick look but from that, i'm afraid these are likely not working Mike. Stockfish-022120 does open a command window on my 15 year old system, but I can't enter a command like 'uci' to test anything. Bluefish-022120 also opens a command window but gives a message saying it can not find entrypoint to procedure GetTickCount64 in KERNEL32.dll which makes sense because that is a 64 bit procedure I presume.

I now see, after closing down Bluefish-022120.exe command window, that Stockfish-022120 stopped with the same message about the entrypoint it can't find, so that may be something to look at.

But this is also a very old system, it may not be representative for modern 32 bit systems. Who is still using 32 bit unless very small systems these days.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan

jdart
Posts: 3924
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:23 am
Location: http://www.arasanchess.org

Re: 32 bit Windows users needed ...

Post by jdart » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:38 pm

I actually have an old Q6600 box with Windows XP on it that I use for testing. But even that is 64-bit.

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 3945
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am
Location: Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania

Re: 32 bit Windows users needed ...

Post by MikeB » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:04 pm

Eelco de Groot wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:16 pm
I just had a quick look but from that, i'm afraid these are likely not working Mike. Stockfish-022120 does open a command window on my 15 year old system, but I can't enter a command like 'uci' to test anything. Bluefish-022120 also opens a command window but gives a message saying it can not find entrypoint to procedure GetTickCount64 in KERNEL32.dll which makes sense because that is a 64 bit procedure I presume.

I now see, after closing down Bluefish-022120.exe command window, that Stockfish-022120 stopped with the same message about the entrypoint it can't find, so that may be something to look at.

But this is also a very old system, it may not be representative for modern 32 bit systems. Who is still using 32 bit unless very small systems these days.
They would not work on WIndows Xp 32 bit -, just Windows 7 32 bit and newer.
Windows Xp is now run on less than 1% of all devices world wide. Official Microsoft support having ended in 2014.
I believe the official Stockfish 32 bit exe still runs on Windows XP - as they purposely downgraded to an older version of MSYS for that compile.

You can try it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vuoprqyhanpp6 ... t.exe?dl=0

Armenia has the highest % of XP users, with 42% off all users still running XP.
https://gs.statcounter.com/windows-vers ... op/armenia
It is the only country with double digit usage of XP.

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 4002
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: 32 bit Windows users needed ...

Post by Ovyron » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:49 pm

Interesting, my 32bit Windows is also XP. It seems that people that moved beyond 32bit were likely to move beyond XP, and people that moved beyond XP were likely to move beyond 32bit, so 32bit with modern OS is rare.

User avatar
Ajedrecista
Posts: 1423
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:04 pm
Location: Madrid, Spain.
Contact:

Re: 32-bit Windows users needed ...

Post by Ajedrecista » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:25 pm

Hello Mike:
MikeB wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:55 am
Please download the 32 bit Windows binaries ( Honey and company - 10 engines in total ) and see if they work on your 32 bit Windows setup.

https://github.com/MichaelB7/Stockfish/ ... es/Windows

Please advise.

Thank you,

MikeB
Windows XP, 32-bit. All engines show the same error after double clicking on the executables:

Code: Select all

Black-Diamond-022120.exe - No se encuentra el punto de entrada
No se encuentra el punto de entrada del procedimiento GetTickCount64 en la biblioteca de vínculos dinámicos KERNELL32.dll.

Bluefish-022120.exe - No se encuentra el punto de entrada
No se encuentra el punto de entrada del procedimiento GetTickCount64 en la biblioteca de vínculos dinámicos KERNELL32.dll.

Bluefish-FD-022120.exe - No se encuentra el punto de entrada
No se encuentra el punto de entrada del procedimiento GetTickCount64 en la biblioteca de vínculos dinámicos KERNELL32.dll.

Blue-Honey-dev-022120.exe - No se encuentra el punto de entrada
No se encuentra el punto de entrada del procedimiento GetTickCount64 en la biblioteca de vínculos dinámicos KERNELL32.dll.

Blue-Honey-FD-dev-022120.exe - No se encuentra el punto de entrada
No se encuentra el punto de entrada del procedimiento GetTickCount64 en la biblioteca de vínculos dinámicos KERNELL32.dll.

Honey-dev-022120.exe - No se encuentra el punto de entrada
No se encuentra el punto de entrada del procedimiento GetTickCount64 en la biblioteca de vínculos dinámicos KERNELL32.dll.

Honey-FD-dev-022120.exe - No se encuentra el punto de entrada
No se encuentra el punto de entrada del procedimiento GetTickCount64 en la biblioteca de vínculos dinámicos KERNELL32.dll.

Stockfish-022120.exe - No se encuentra el punto de entrada
No se encuentra el punto de entrada del procedimiento GetTickCount64 en la biblioteca de vínculos dinámicos KERNELL32.dll.

Stockfish-FD-022120.exe - No se encuentra el punto de entrada
No se encuentra el punto de entrada del procedimiento GetTickCount64 en la biblioteca de vínculos dinámicos KERNELL32.dll.

Weakfish-022120.exe - No se encuentra el punto de entrada
No se encuentra el punto de entrada del procedimiento GetTickCount64 en la biblioteca de vínculos dinámicos KERNELL32.dll.
It was noted by Eelco: they can not find entrypoint to procedure GetTickCount64 in KERNEL32.dll. I can not even open Stockfish-022120 in my case.

I isolated things of Black-Diamond-022120 with the help of Notepad:

------------

a) Compiled with g++ 9.2.0 on MinGW32 (with a mention to Kernell32.dll):

Code: Select all

[...]

Compiled with  g++ (GNUC)  9.2.0  on MinGW32
__VERSION__ macro expands to:
Kernel32.dll GetLogicalProcessorInformationEx vector::_M_realloc_insert GetNumaNodeProcessorMaskEx SetThreadGroupAffinity

[...]
------------

b) Mention to GetTickCount64 and KERNEL32.dll (I added <<< symbols for quick identification):

Code: Select all

[...]

AddVectoredExceptionHandler
CloseHandle
CreateEventA
CreateFileA
CreateFileMappingA
CreateSemaphoreA
DeleteCriticalSection
DuplicateHandle
EnterCriticalSection
FileTimeToSystemTime
FreeLibrary
GetCurrentProcess
GetCurrentProcessId
GetCurrentThread
GetCurrentThreadId
GetFileSize
GetHandleInformation
GetLastError
GetModuleHandleA
GetModuleHandleW
GetProcAddress
GetProcessAffinityMask
GetProcessTimes
GetStartupInfoA
GetSystemTimeAdjustment
GetSystemTimeAsFileTime
GetThreadContext
GetThreadPriority
GetThreadTimes
GetTickCount64 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
GetTickCount
InitializeCriticalSection
IsDBCSLeadByteEx
IsDebuggerPresent
LeaveCriticalSection 
LoadLibraryA
MapViewOfFile
MultiByteToWideChar
OpenProcess
OutputDebugStringA
QueryPerformanceCounter
QueryPerformanceFrequency
RaiseException
ReleaseSemaphore
RemoveVectoredExceptionHandler
ResetEvent
ResumeThread
SetEvent
SetLastError
SetProcessAffinityMask
SetSystemTime
SetThreadContext
SetThreadPriority
SetUnhandledExceptionFilter
Sleep
SuspendThread
TerminateProcess
TlsAlloc
TlsGetValue
TlsSetValue
TryEnterCriticalSection
UnhandledExceptionFilter
UnmapViewOfFile
VirtualProtect
VirtualQuery
WaitForMultipleObjects
WaitForSingleObject
WideCharToMultiByte
__doserrno
__getmainargs
__initenv
__lconv_init
__mb_cur_max
__p__acmdln
__p__fmode
__set_app_type
__setusermatherr
_amsg_exit
_beginthreadex
_cexit
_endthreadex
_errno
_fdopen
_filelengthi64
_fileno
_fileno
_fstat64
_initterm
_iob
_lseeki64
_onexit
_setjmp3
_strdup
_strnicmp
_read
_ultoa
_wfopen
_write
abort
atoi
calloc
exit
fclose
fflush
fgetpos
fopen
fprintf
fputc
fputs
ftell
fread
free
fseek
fsetpos
fwrite
getc
getwc
islower
isspace
iswctype
localeconv
longjmp
malloc
memset
memchr
memcmp
memcpy
memmove
printf
putc
putwc
rand
realloc
setlocale
setvbuf
signal
sprintf
strchr
strcmp
strcoll
strerror
strftime
strlen
strncmp
strxfrm
time
tolower
toupper
towlower
towupper
ungetc
ungetwc
vfprintf
wcscoll
wcsftime
wcslen
wcsxfrm

[...]

KERNEL32.dll <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

[...]
------------

c) Compatibility (Windows XP is not listed below):

Code: Select all

[...]

  <compatibility xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:compatibility.v1">
    <application>
      <!--The ID below indicates application support for Windows Vista -->
      <supportedOS Id="{e2011457-1546-43c5-a5fe-008deee3d3f0}"/>
      <!--The ID below indicates application support for Windows 7 -->
      <supportedOS Id="{35138b9a-5d96-4fbd-8e2d-a2440225f93a}"/>
      <!--The ID below indicates application support for Windows 8 -->
      <supportedOS Id="{4a2f28e3-53b9-4441-ba9c-d69d4a4a6e38}"/>
      <!--The ID below indicates application support for Windows 8.1 -->
      <supportedOS Id="{1f676c76-80e1-4239-95bb-83d0f6d0da78}"/>
      <!--The ID below indicates application support for Windows 10 -->
      <supportedOS Id="{8e0f7a12-bfb3-4fe8-b9a5-48fd50a15a9a}"/>
    </application>
  </compatibility>

[...]
------------

Windows XP looks like is not supported in these releases, which agrees with you ('They would not work on WIndows Xp 32 bit -, just Windows 7 32 bit and newer.')... although Windows Vista is also listed, which is older than Windows 7.

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.

supersharp77
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:54 am
Location: Southwest USA

Re: 32 bit Windows users needed ...

Post by supersharp77 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:35 pm

MikeB wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:04 pm
Eelco de Groot wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:16 pm
I just had a quick look but from that, i'm afraid these are likely not working Mike. Stockfish-022120 does open a command window on my 15 year old system, but I can't enter a command like 'uci' to test anything. Bluefish-022120 also opens a command window but gives a message saying it can not find entrypoint to procedure GetTickCount64 in KERNEL32.dll which makes sense because that is a 64 bit procedure I presume.

I now see, after closing down Bluefish-022120.exe command window, that Stockfish-022120 stopped with the same message about the entrypoint it can't find, so that may be something to look at.

But this is also a very old system, it may not be representative for modern 32 bit systems. Who is still using 32 bit unless very small systems these days.
They would not work on WIndows Xp 32 bit -, just Windows 7 32 bit and newer.
Windows Xp is now run on less than 1% of all devices world wide. Official Microsoft support having ended in 2014.
I believe the official Stockfish 32 bit exe still runs on Windows XP - as they purposely downgraded to an older version of MSYS for that compile.

You can try it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vuoprqyhanpp6 ... t.exe?dl=0

Armenia has the highest % of XP users, with 42% off all users still running XP.
https://gs.statcounter.com/windows-vers ... op/armenia
It is the only country with double digit usage of XP.
Re: 32 bit Windows users needed ...
Quote
Post by Ovyron » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:49 pm

Interesting, my 32bit Windows is also XP. It seems that people that moved beyond 32bit were likely to move beyond XP, and people that moved beyond XP were likely to move beyond 32bit, so 32bit with modern OS is rare.
Interesting and quite disturbng comment about the "Legendary Windows XP (Pro)" usage..I myself find XP pro quite stable and very useful in engine testing even these days...they seem to forget that stockfish has always produced a x32 compile for most/all of their releases.... results on my XP x32 machine for the 10 engines.....Black Diamond x32 Procedure entry point Get Tickcount64 not located in DLL liabrairy Kernel32.dll
Same error Bluefish...Same error Bluefish FD Same Error Blue Honey...
Same error Honey...Ditto for Honey FD......Ditto for Stockfish 022120
Same for SF FD..Same for weakfish.... Thx AR :) :wink:

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 4002
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: 32 bit Windows users needed ...

Post by Ovyron » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:38 pm

Agreed, I never had any problem with Windows XP, still my favorite OS, much better than Win8/8.1 or 10.

Unfortunately, most of the software I just just stopped supporting XP and refused to run, so I was forced to upgrade (I held as much as I could, running old versions that still ran on XP fo several years), but it was the poor decisions of developers, as there was nothing wrong with XP.

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 3945
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am
Location: Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania

Re: 32 bit Windows users needed ...

Post by MikeB » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:27 am

supersharp77 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:35 pm
MikeB wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:04 pm
Eelco de Groot wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:16 pm
I just had a quick look but from that, i'm afraid these are likely not working Mike. Stockfish-022120 does open a command window on my 15 year old system, but I can't enter a command like 'uci' to test anything. Bluefish-022120 also opens a command window but gives a message saying it can not find entrypoint to procedure GetTickCount64 in KERNEL32.dll which makes sense because that is a 64 bit procedure I presume.

I now see, after closing down Bluefish-022120.exe command window, that Stockfish-022120 stopped with the same message about the entrypoint it can't find, so that may be something to look at.

But this is also a very old system, it may not be representative for modern 32 bit systems. Who is still using 32 bit unless very small systems these days.
They would not work on WIndows Xp 32 bit -, just Windows 7 32 bit and newer.
Windows Xp is now run on less than 1% of all devices world wide. Official Microsoft support having ended in 2014.
I believe the official Stockfish 32 bit exe still runs on Windows XP - as they purposely downgraded to an older version of MSYS for that compile.

You can try it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vuoprqyhanpp6 ... t.exe?dl=0

Armenia has the highest % of XP users, with 42% off all users still running XP.
https://gs.statcounter.com/windows-vers ... op/armenia
It is the only country with double digit usage of XP.
Re: 32 bit Windows users needed ...
Quote
Post by Ovyron » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:49 pm

Interesting, my 32bit Windows is also XP. It seems that people that moved beyond 32bit were likely to move beyond XP, and people that moved beyond XP were likely to move beyond 32bit, so 32bit with modern OS is rare.
Interesting and quite disturbng comment about the "Legendary Windows XP (Pro)" usage..I myself find XP pro quite stable and very useful in engine testing even these days...they seem to forget that stockfish has always produced a x32 compile for most/all of their releases.... results on my XP x32 machine for the 10 engines.....Black Diamond x32 Procedure entry point Get Tickcount64 not located in DLL liabrairy Kernel32.dll
Same error Bluefish...Same error Bluefish FD Same Error Blue Honey...
Same error Honey...Ditto for Honey FD......Ditto for Stockfish 022120
Same for SF FD..Same for weakfish.... Thx AR :) :wink:
Thanks to all for testing -

I am hoping that these binaries work on Windows Xp - all engines are included.

https://github.com/MichaelB7/Stockfish/ ... ws/32bitXP

It's definitely an oxymoron to include WIndows XP binaries under a folder called "BleedingEdgeBinaries" - this is in response to a request, may not be part of my normal routine. So if they work, grab them now.

mephisto
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:10 am
Location: England

Re: 32 bit Windows users needed ...

Post by mephisto » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:21 pm

Hi Mike

I have tried all your engines on my Certabo board and they all seem to work ok under Windows 10.

[img]https://chessgraphics.weebly.com/upload ... 1582373289[/img]

[img]https://chessgraphics.weebly.com/upload ... h_orig.png[/img]

Regards
Bryan
What's my next move? - to the fridge for another beer !!

Post Reply