Regium Chess — Most likely an elaborate SCAM!!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Nay Lin Tun

Re: Regium Chess — Most likely an elaborate SCAM!!

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

The updated video shows it is legit!!

https://youtu.be/cpDj_rP6qv8
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Nay Lin Tun wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:40 am The updated video shows it is legit!!

https://youtu.be/cpDj_rP6qv8
LMFAO!! Image
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Jonathan Cremers

Post by Jonathan003 »

It's always a good idea to be cautious, but I can not believe it's a scam. Especially after watching this video.
Steve Maughan

Post by Steve Maughan »

The Kickstarter project is now live.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/so ... -e-board-0

No mention of the concerns. There are four comments claiming it's a scam. The comments have now been changed so only backers can post, and the creator is frantically trying to post long comments (all the same) to push the negative comments down the list.

Grab the popcorn regards,

Steve
http://www.chessprogramming.net - Maverick Chess Engine
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

I think the reason why Regium haven't shown a fully working board to anyone outside of their inner circle is because they have finally admitted that the hardware is only 60-75% finished.
What's my next move? - to the fridge for another beer !!
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

mephisto wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:02 pm I think the reason why Regium haven't shown a fully working board to anyone outside of their inner circle is because they have finally admitted that the hardware is only 60-75% finished.
But Regium is viewed as scam because of near zero transparency. SquareOff was more open from the start. Regium is completely opposite.
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

Not really because the Square Off team told me on three occasions that the pieces wouldn't knock into one another on their finished commercial product. This was a lie as my knight charges from its starting square bumping into the pawns. Also with their new Kickstarter campaign which I have pledged for the new Swop model, they mention that there piece movement accuracy will be improved. This obviously admits the fault that my original model has and which they lied to me about.
What's my next move? - to the fridge for another beer !!
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

It looks like they are getting support. And the price of the boards will run between $1300 to $1600 MSRP. Most likely the Retail price will be less. And much less if it is a POS like square off!

$51,536
pledged of $50,000 goal
backers
days to go
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Really? At the cost of $1500 you'd rather hire a human that moves the pieces for you :lol:
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Ovyron wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:55 pm Really? At the cost of $1500 you'd rather hire a human that moves the pieces for you :lol:
If it works as well as my GPU I will buy it. And the cost will be about the same. And I have a ebony chess set that cost almost that price. So I guess it depends how nuts you are about your chess toys.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.