New Tool

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
flok
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:19 am
Full name: Folkert van Heusden
Contact:

Re: New Tool

Post by flok » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:53 am

mar wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:49 am
flok wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:20 am
Please consider releasing the source-code so that macos and linux users also can use it.
Why can't you simply use Wine? (unless you've already tried and it didn't work)
I'd rather not use closed-source software coming from a windows platform.
www.vanheusden.com: Micah / Embla / PuppetMaster / DeepBrutePos / Pos / Feeks

mar
Posts: 2111
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:00 pm
Location: Czech Republic
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Re: New Tool

Post by mar » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:59 am

flok wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:53 am
I'd rather not use closed-source software coming from a windows platform.
Then don't use it, the world doesn't revolve around Linux fanboys :)
(to be clear, I like Linux, but I hate Linux fanboys)
Martin Sedlak

Dann Corbit
Posts: 10856
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Contact:

Re: New Tool

Post by Dann Corbit » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:25 am

mar wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:59 am
flok wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:53 am
I'd rather not use closed-source software coming from a windows platform.
Then don't use it, the world doesn't revolve around Linux fanboys :)
(to be clear, I like Linux, but I hate Linux fanboys)
I think it is OK to be passionate about things, so long as it does not cause blind decisions.
I like Linux a lot and I hate how Windows spies on you and sells the information to anyone willing to pay.
But I use Windows anyway, because I need some Windows stuff and because some of the Windows tools are really good.
I am trying to wean myself off of Windows and I think eventually I will succeed. But if someone loves Windows or hates windows it does not bother me. Same with Linux or MacOS or what have you.

It's like falling in love with a chess engine. It was great fun to see 'char' swoon over a favorite engine on TCEC long ago. And the people who are gaga over LC0, well, I can see why.

I think each and every one of us has quirky things that we like.
I love math, bicycles, sorting, yodeling, chess, and other things that don't have a giant following.
I imagine every poster here has their own distinct passions. And passions can be good if they drive us to excellence.

So be a fan boy or fan girl if you like. I imagine we all do that in some fashion or another. And I won't get my bun in a knot someone likes to eat insects or paints using pointilism or rides a unicycle to work.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.

mar
Posts: 2111
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:00 pm
Location: Czech Republic
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Re: New Tool

Post by mar » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:41 am

it's not a passion, but a religion (biased, naturally)
make silly demands, spit in every direction because there is only one true "god" :D sounds familiar?

(yodeling, really? that's interesting :)
Martin Sedlak

Dann Corbit
Posts: 10856
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Contact:

Re: New Tool

Post by Dann Corbit » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:00 am

mar wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:41 am
(yodeling, really? that's interesting :)
Sure, i am from Idaho, USA (I was born in Spirit Lake, ID). You will find yodeling any place that is mountainous with sheep. Colorado is another place good for that.

When I was young, I used to fish for largemouth bass in Spirit Lake, Idaho.
There was a marvelous yodeler, named Rod Erickson, who sang at a local nightclub.
I could hear his beautiful voice clearly over the water.
This is him singing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0fLgBclDCE

No yodeler can top the great Franzl Lang:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQhqikWnQCU

I yodel all the time. It's a great stress reliever in a traffic jam. Maybe I will make a recording of me yodeling and put it online so people can know how really crazy I am.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.

User avatar
flok
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:19 am
Full name: Folkert van Heusden
Contact:

Re: New Tool

Post by flok » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:45 am

mar wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:59 am
flok wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:53 am
I'd rather not use closed-source software coming from a windows platform.
Then don't use it, the world doesn't revolve around Linux fanboys :)
(to be clear, I like Linux, but I hate Linux fanboys)
Thank you for your help-full comment.
It gave great new insights.
www.vanheusden.com: Micah / Embla / PuppetMaster / DeepBrutePos / Pos / Feeks

mar
Posts: 2111
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:00 pm
Location: Czech Republic
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Re: New Tool

Post by mar » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:50 am

Update: mea doesn't run under wine, so it won't run under Linux
but mrl.exe runs fine. mea.exe seems to be a program compiled into a python binary it seems

it turns out that mea is actually ferdy's open source https://github.com/fsmosca/Multiple-move-Epd-Analyzer and Ed's tool
is probably built on top of it
Martin Sedlak

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5158
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: New Tool

Post by Rebel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:52 pm

mar wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:50 am
Update: mea doesn't run under wine, so it won't run under Linux
but mrl.exe runs fine. mea.exe seems to be a program compiled into a python binary it seems

it turns out that mea is actually ferdy's open source https://github.com/fsmosca/Multiple-move-Epd-Analyzer and Ed's tool
is probably built on top of it
Yep.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Alayan
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:48 pm
Full name: Alayan Feh

Re: New Tool

Post by Alayan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:09 pm

mar wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:41 am
it's not a passion, but a religion (biased, naturally)
make silly demands, spit in every direction because there is only one true "god" :D sounds familiar?
It has nothing to do with a "religion" to not like when tools are made to run only on windows and can't be used with your OS. And actually, when it comes to platform-locked software, it comes much more often from "just use Windows" folks who feel this OS is big enough to not care about the rest than from people using Linux, who in most cases also provides Windows (and sometimes mac) binaries.

Most modern software nowaday is cross-platform, and having something that can work well on different OSes is also nice for quality control, as you then have to avoid some ugly platform-specific coding patterns.

Free software absolutists can be very dumb, but that's not the issue at hand.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5158
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: New Tool

Post by Rebel » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:26 am

Actually I think it's more simple, once you make a choice for Linux you know you are going to miss a lot (good) stuff.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Post Reply