New Tool

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 4005
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: New Tool

Post by Ovyron » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:10 am

Is there some important software that only runs on Linux that people on Windows are missing out? If not, the choice of OS is clear.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5158
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: New Tool

Post by Rebel » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:46 pm

UPDATE

I finally managed to create a system that creates from random positions a set that at short time control (100 ms) reasonable can produce a ranking list with an estimated error bar of -25/+25 elo. See below link.

To interpret the rankings note that at a time control of 100 ms the time engines took (see Used Time) is crucial, there is a lot of fluctuation. At longer time control 250 ms and 500 ms per move the ranking gets better and better.

http://rebel13.nl/mea/set1-100ms.html'

Tomorrow the 250 ms list.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5158
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: New Tool

Post by Rebel » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:22 am

250 ms

http://rebel13.nl/mea/set1-250ms.html

Note that red means that engine took too much time and blue the engine moved much too fast.

My experience is that engines eventually settle at one second producing correct times.

Next 500 ms.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5158
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: New Tool

Post by Rebel » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:13 am

500 ms

http://rebel13.nl/mea/set1-500ms.html

Next and last 1 full second per move.

Thereafter release.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5158
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: New Tool

Post by Rebel » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:06 pm

1000 ms

http://rebel13.nl/mea/set1-1000ms.html

The close agreement of rank-4 till rank-8 with the CCRL list is truly amazing!

Must be a coincidence.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Dann Corbit
Posts: 10856
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Contact:

Re: New Tool

Post by Dann Corbit » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:15 pm

mar wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:41 am
it's not a passion, but a religion (biased, naturally)
make silly demands, spit in every direction because there is only one true "god" :D sounds familiar?

(yodeling, really? that's interesting :)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=73659
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.

Post Reply