Speaking of TCEC, what is all this then?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Speaking of TCEC, what is all this then?

Post by Dann Corbit »

I am guessing this image will not load, but it's worth a shot.
Nope, like I thought. No uploads at all any more.

Here is the image:
http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... pid=585742
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
xr_a_y

Re: Speaking of TCEC, what is all this then?

Post by xr_a_y »

Well TCEC is using more and more some big hardware, and this leads to the used of massively threaded engines and used of a huge hash table.
This is making some debugging (mainly hash table collision things) and tuning (mainly multi-threading stuff) necessary and TCEC crew is very helpful on those subjects, allowing for many test runs before and between real tournaments. A lot of engines were debugged collectively and this seems very good to me. Developers kindly helping each other all day long on december 31th is a good sign of a healthy community to me.

All of those downloadable little tourney are the results of all those testing session, and are probably some useful input for developers and some good games to view for everybody. Maybe a better display, putting test session apart from "real" tourney might be helpful.
Last edited by xr_a_y on Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

I think it would be nice if they at least gave a description of what those files are.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

After I reported your suggestion using the TCEC discord channel, a little sorting has been done to clarify things.
Feel free to discus with Aloril or Kan about this subject, they often react very quickly.
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

Why are they now playing 100 long games with LCZeroCPU v0.24-n591215? Makes no sense at all. When is Premium league going to start?
Jouni
Branko Radovanovic
Full name: Branko Radovanović

Post by Branko Radovanovic »

Jouni wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:32 am Why are they now playing 100 long games with LCZeroCPU v0.24-n591215? Makes no sense at all. When is Premium league going to start?
Because things are not ready yet for the PD. It is supposed to start today (17 March).

Normally, when there is something unclear, unplanned or out of the ordinary, people ask about it in the chat. Trouble is, it tends to be the case almost all the time, and non-chatters are left frustrated because they don't understand what's going on or why. I'm sure chatters are a bit frustrated too, because the same questions repeat over and over again.

I wish there was a dedicated section named "News" on tcec-chess.com. A single sentence would suffice as a news item: e.g. "no, there will be no GPU League this season, contrary to announcements, because there are not enough engines" (another thing people are confused about and ask over and over).
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

I am not able to use the chat.
I see an empty box where the chat should be.
I guess it is a firewall rule, but I am not sure about it
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

Finally it started, but: Game scheduling will be a modified format to minimize the costs associated with GPU leasing; All CPU/CPU games will be played first followed by the CPU/GPU, GPU/GPU games. BTW they should use SF11, because there is no progress in 2 months :) .
Jouni
ernest

Post by ernest »

Jouni wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:36 pm BTW they should use SF11
SF11 has bugs... (corrected in later devs)