SlowChess Blitz Classic 2.0

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jonkr
Full name: Jonathan Kreuzer

Re: SlowChess Blitz Classic 2.0

Post by jonkr »

Oh the _noPop was still the old compile (modified 19th), I guess it didn't get updated in the zip, I rezipped/reuploaded it so that one should hopefully work now.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

jonkr wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:44 am
- On the plus side, this should be the largest strength increase between versions so far. Scored about +100 elo in 60 + .5 self-play. (Might be less against other engines or at different time controls.)
I'm getting very close to this on the chess960 games played so far.
jonkr

Post by jonkr »

I checked the FRC list and I'm happy to see the first external testing results are consistent with what I was hoping. (Was +91 elo when I checked, and I think my results from doing self-play tests at super fast time controls will overestimate differences.)

Close to Shredder too, I remember Shredder winning a lot of world championships, would be interesting to make something that ranks above it. Maybe in a couple months I will try some more improvements, even though current top programs so far ahead.

Before release I did some FRC testing against Critter with about the same results. I also played some FRC games to add to tuning positions, which I think did lead to an improvement, but I don't play enough test games sure of anything.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

jonkr wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:41 pm I checked the FRC list and I'm happy to see the first external testing results are consistent with what I was hoping. (Was +91 elo when I checked, and I think my results from doing self-play tests at super fast time controls will overestimate differences.)
Yes, well remember we use Bayeselo and it is +91 Elo currently as you say. But if you run the list through Ordo you get +101 Elo. Take your pick :D
fastgm

Post by fastgm »

Hello Jonathan!

I have a problem with Slowchess Blitz Classic and Cutechess-Cli.
After executing the program, a dialog box appears, stating that the opening book could not be loaded.
No matter whether as UCI or Winboard Engine.

If this dialog box is not closed, the engine does not make a move and loses on time.
Setting the UCI option ownBook doesn't help.

Do you have an idea or a solution?

Reagrds,
Andreas

http://www.fastgm.de
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

That's odd, I didn't get that when using Cutechess GUI.
jonkr

Post by jonkr »

fastgm wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:56 pm I have a problem with Slowchess Blitz Classic and Cutechess-Cli.
After executing the program, a dialog box appears, stating that the opening book could not be loaded.
Hi Andreas,

The defaults are working for me (I test with cuteChess-GUI / Winboard / Own GUI ), but the things the check to make sure are :
  • The directory structure from the zip is maintained. Assuming working directory same as executable directory, then the book is at "openingBook\TestBook.scb". Also that the bitbases are in "bitbases" directory (it won't complain about missing bitbases but I never tested endgames without them.)
  • in the file "engineWB.dft" make sure the book path didn't get changed somehow, I have a line "BookPath=openingBook\TestBook.scb"
It does try load the book always, and checks the ownBook toggle before looking in it for a move. Not sure if that would change, but I do want to do another pass on setup and instructions/messaging sometime.
fastgm

Post by fastgm »

jonkr wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:17 pm
The defaults are working for me (I test with cuteChess-GUI / Winboard / Own GUI ), but the things the check to make sure are :
  • The directory structure from the zip is maintained. Assuming working directory same as executable directory, then the book is at "openingBook\TestBook.scb". Also that the bitbases are in "bitbases" directory (it won't complain about missing bitbases but I never tested endgames without them.)
  • in the file "engineWB.dft" make sure the book path didn't get changed somehow, I have a line "BookPath=openingBook\TestBook.scb"
It does try load the book always, and checks the ownBook toggle before looking in it for a move. Not sure if that would change, but I do want to do another pass on setup and instructions/messaging sometime.
Hi Jonathan,

the directory structure from the zip is maintained and the book path in the file "engineWB.dft" is "BookPath=openingBook\TestBook.scb".
The defaults are working for me with the LittleBlitzerGUI but not with Cutechess-Cli. Maybe you can do a test with Cutechess-Cli.

Code: Select all

cutechess-cli.exe ^
-engine name="SlowChess Blitz Classic 2.0" cmd="D:\Chess\Cutechess\SlowChessClassic-2.0\slow64.exe" proto=uci ^
-engine name="SlowChess Blitz Classic 1.9" cmd="D:\Chess\Cutechess\SlowChessClassic-1.9\slow64.exe" proto=uci ^
-each option.Hash=128 tc=60+0.6 -games 250 -rounds 1 -concurrency 3 -repeat -recover -tournament gauntlet -openings file=8moves_v3.pgn format=pgn order=random -pgnout SlowChessBlitzClassic_2.0-1.9.pgn
Andreas
jonkr

Post by jonkr »

"C:\Program Files (x86)\cutechess\cutechess-cli" -engine name="Slow 2.0" cmd=slow64.exe dir="C:\Downloads\Engines\SlowChessClassic-2.0" proto=uci -engine conf="Slow WV2.1" -each tc=40/0:20+0.2 -games 10 -concurrency 7
I tried in Cute Chess GUI and it worked for me with the above line. From looking at your command my guess is that the command line needs a directory to set the working directory and access the external book / bitbase files.
fastgm

Post by fastgm »

jonkr wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:25 pm

"C:\Program Files (x86)\cutechess\cutechess-cli" -engine name="Slow 2.0" cmd=slow64.exe dir="C:\Downloads\Engines\SlowChessClassic-2.0" proto=uci -engine conf="Slow WV2.1" -each tc=40/0:20+0.2 -games 10 -concurrency 7
I tried in Cute Chess GUI and it worked for me with the above line. From looking at your command my guess is that the command line needs a directory to set the working directory and access the external book / bitbase files.
Many thanks you for your help, Jonathan!
It was the working directory, the dir= command!
I tried around for hours, but I've never need this cmd on any other engine before.

Andreas