Issue with compilation of leela ver.0.24.x

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
corres
Posts: 2331
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:41 am
Location: hungary

Issue with compilation of leela ver.0.24.x

Post by corres » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:54 pm

The compilation is failed. Because:
fatal error LNK 1181: cannot open input file..\..\subprojects\protobuf-3.5.1\protobuf-lite.lib'
The file protobuf-lite.lib misses from source and it can not make the project too.
What is the solution?
I used VS 2017, CUDA ver.10.0, meson-0.49.0 and other standard programs for leela compilation.
Note for leela ver.23.3 VS 2015 and other standard programs worked fine.

MikeB
Posts: 3816
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am
Location: Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania

Re: Issue with compilation of leela ver.0.24.x

Post by MikeB » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:36 pm

sudo cp libprotobuf.a /usr/local/lib
sudo cp libprotobuf-lite.a /usr/local/lib
sudo cp libprotoc.a /usr/local/lib
sudo cp libprotoc.la /usr/local/lib
sudo cp libprotoc.so.21.0.1 /usr/local/lib
sudo cp protoc /usr/local/bin

corres
Posts: 2331
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:41 am
Location: hungary

Re: Issue with compilation of leela ver.0.24.x

Post by corres » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:19 am

MikeB wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:36 pm
sudo cp libprotobuf.a /usr/local/lib
sudo cp libprotobuf-lite.a /usr/local/lib
sudo cp libprotoc.a /usr/local/lib
sudo cp libprotoc.la /usr/local/lib
sudo cp libprotoc.so.21.0.1 /usr/local/lib
sudo cp protoc /usr/local/bin
Sorry, I use Windows 10 x64 and Windows does not know "sudo" but Linux.
Moreover there is protobuf-lite.lib nowhere.
Maybe it is constructed by meson during the process of compilation.
There is only a protobuf-lite.dll file in the \build\subprojects\protobuf-3.5.1\ dir.
Please, see in your compilation the \build\subprojects\protobuf-3.5.1\ what contains.

corres
Posts: 2331
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:41 am
Location: hungary

Re: Issue with compilation of leela ver.0.24.x

Post by corres » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:29 am

corres wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:19 am
...
Sorry, I use Windows 10 x64 and Windows does not know "sudo" but Linux.
Moreover there is protobuf-lite.lib nowhere.
Maybe it is constructed by meson during the process of compilation.
There is only a protobuf-lite.dll file in the \build\subprojects\protobuf-3.5.1\ dir.
Please, see in your compilation the \build\subprojects\protobuf-3.5.1\ what contains.
I think it is the time the developers of Leela should renew the tools and the writing down of the compilation of Leela.

mmt
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:33 am
Full name: .

Re: Issue with compilation of leela ver.0.24.x

Post by mmt » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:33 pm

When I was compiling 0.23.2, in the VS solution there was a directory subprojects and protobuf-lite is there. You have to build it.

corres
Posts: 2331
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:41 am
Location: hungary

Re: Issue with compilation of leela ver.0.24.x

Post by corres » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:10 am

mmt wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:33 pm
When I was compiling 0.23.2, in the VS solution there was a directory subprojects and protobuf-lite is there. You have to build it.
Earlier for compiling lc0-v0.23.3 I used VS 2015 and after some modifications it was fine.
Now I tried to compile it using VS 2017 without success and the fault was the same as in the case of ver.0.24.1.
The file protobuf-lite.lib is nowhere. But I found in \build\subprojects\protobuf 3.5.1\ dir the file protobuf-lite.DLL.
I am afraid protobuf do not like VS 2017.
Note
lc0 v0.24.1 needs VS 2017 only because its source contain <optional>, what is not the part of VS2015 (merely 17/19).
In lc0 v0.23.x instead of <optional> developers used a trick and it is working. I do not know why they no keep to that good solution.

corres
Posts: 2331
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:41 am
Location: hungary

Re: Issue with compilation of leela ver.0.24.x

Post by corres » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:42 pm

Maybe there is no developer of Leela, who read TCM?
Or from them lacks the readiness to help?

brianr
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: Issue with compilation of leela ver.0.24.x

Post by brianr » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:37 pm

corres wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:42 pm
Maybe there is no developer of Leela, who read TCM?
Or from them lacks the readiness to help?
My impression is that very few of the many helpful Leela devs read here, and then only occasionally.
If you want help, suggest joining the Lc0 Discord server and asking in the #help channel, which is very active.

https://discord.gg/pKujYxD

corres
Posts: 2331
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:41 am
Location: hungary

Re: Issue with compilation of leela ver.0.24.x

Post by corres » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:08 pm

brianr wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:37 pm
corres wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:42 pm
Maybe there is no developer of Leela, who read TCM?
Or from them lacks the readiness to help?
My impression is that very few of the many helpful Leela devs read here, and then only occasionally.
If you want help, suggest joining the Lc0 Discord server and asking in the #help channel, which is very active.

https://discord.gg/pKujYxD
Thanks
But I have no google account.

crem
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 7:29 pm

Re: Issue with compilation of leela ver.0.24.x

Post by crem » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:09 pm

corres wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:08 pm
brianr wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:37 pm

My impression is that very few of the many helpful Leela devs read here, and then only occasionally.
If you want help, suggest joining the Lc0 Discord server and asking in the #help channel, which is very active.

https://discord.gg/pKujYxD
Thanks
But I have no google account.
You don't need a Google account to join Discord.

And starting from v0.24, Lc0 doesn't require libprotobuf.

Post Reply