Issue with compilation of leela ver.0.24.x

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
corres
Posts: 2588
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:41 am
Location: hungary

Re: Issue with compilation of leela ver.0.24.x

Post by corres » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:36 pm

crem wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:09 pm
corres wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:08 pm
brianr wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:37 pm

My impression is that very few of the many helpful Leela devs read here, and then only occasionally.
If you want help, suggest joining the Lc0 Discord server and asking in the #help channel, which is very active.

https://discord.gg/pKujYxD
Thanks
But I have no google account.
You don't need a Google account to join Discord.
And starting from v0.24, Lc0 doesn't require libprotobuf.
When I tried to use VS 2017 for the compilation of Leela v0.23 and v0.24 it failed and \build\msbuild.log said:
fatal error LNK 1181: cannot open input file ..\...\subprojects\protobuf-3.5.1\protobuf-lite.lib' and I found in
the \subprojects\ dir protobuf-lite.DLL but protobuf-lite.lib was nowhere.
As I noted compilation of leela ver.0.23 with VS 2015 worked after some modifications. So for me only the ver.0.24 is the problem because VS 2017 is indispensable for ver.0.24.

crem
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 7:29 pm

Re: Issue with compilation of leela ver.0.24.x

Post by crem » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:32 am

corres wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:36 pm

When I tried to use VS 2017 for the compilation of Leela v0.23 and v0.24 it failed and \build\msbuild.log said:
fatal error LNK 1181: cannot open input file ..\...\subprojects\protobuf-3.5.1\protobuf-lite.lib' and I found in
the \subprojects\ dir protobuf-lite.DLL but protobuf-lite.lib was nowhere.
As I noted compilation of leela ver.0.23 with VS 2015 worked after some modifications. So for me only the ver.0.24 is the problem because VS 2017 is indispensable for ver.0.24.
v0.24 doesn't depend on libprotobuf. You are likely compiling v0.24 using the visual studio project generated for previous versions of the Lc0.
Checkout Lc0 into the clean directory and regenerate the project. build.cmd should do all that for you.

If it still doesn't help, please join #help channel in Discord, it's much faster to debug issues that way.

corres
Posts: 2588
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:41 am
Location: hungary

Re: Issue with compilation of leela ver.0.24.x

Post by corres » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:31 am

crem wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:32 am
corres wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:36 pm

When I tried to use VS 2017 for the compilation of Leela v0.23 and v0.24 it failed and \build\msbuild.log said:
fatal error LNK 1181: cannot open input file ..\...\subprojects\protobuf-3.5.1\protobuf-lite.lib' and I found in
the \subprojects\ dir protobuf-lite.DLL but protobuf-lite.lib was nowhere.
As I noted compilation of leela ver.0.23 with VS 2015 worked after some modifications. So for me only the ver.0.24 is the problem because VS 2017 is indispensable for ver.0.24.
v0.24 doesn't depend on libprotobuf. You are likely compiling v0.24 using the visual studio project generated for previous versions of the Lc0.
Checkout Lc0 into the clean directory and regenerate the project. build.cmd should do all that for you.
If it still doesn't help, please join #help channel in Discord, it's much faster to debug issues that way.
I started a totally new process and I started the run of VS2017 klicking the file lc0.sln in \build\ dir and the result was the same: in msbuild.log LINK : fatal error LNK1181...etc.
The VS2017 output show errors
LNK1181 cannot open input file... protobuf-LITE.lib
So I forced to wait newer binary of lc0.

corres
Posts: 2588
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:41 am
Location: hungary

Re: Issue with compilation of leela ver.0.24.x

Post by corres » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:14 am

Meanwhile it was success the compilation of lc0 ver.0.23.x using VS2017 for this I was obliged to modify the build-cuda.cmd.
But the compilation of lc0 ver.0.24 was a fault because of <optional>.

corres
Posts: 2588
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:41 am
Location: hungary

Re: Issue with compilation of leela ver.0.24.x

Post by corres » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:27 am

At last I can compile the lc0 ver.024.x with VS2017. My compile is faster in some measure than the factory exe is.
When I can upload it I will do it.

Fulvio
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:43 pm

Re: Issue with compilation of leela ver.0.24.x

Post by Fulvio » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:04 pm

corres wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:27 am
At last I can compile the lc0 ver.024.x with VS2017.
And?
What did you did wrong in the previous attempts?

corres
Posts: 2588
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:41 am
Location: hungary

Re: Issue with compilation of leela ver.0.24.x

Post by corres » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:25 pm

Fulvio wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:04 pm
corres wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:27 am
At last I can compile the lc0 ver.024.x with VS2017.
And?
What did you did wrong in the previous attempts?
I did not modify what would be modified to make compilation.
And you?
Could you compile Leela during the first attempt from the given source?
If yes, you are a lucky guy being near the fire.

Fulvio
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:43 pm

Re: Issue with compilation of leela ver.0.24.x

Post by Fulvio » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:37 pm

corres wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:25 pm
I did not modify what would be modified to make compilation.
And you?
Could you compile Leela during the first attempt from the given source?
If yes, you are a lucky guy being near the fire.
Why so much hate?
Of course I did, but I was not judging you. I mean, it doesn't require any ability, just knowledge.
You whined for several days, so I asked out of some honest curiosity, but if it makes you angry let's just drop it.
Wish you all the best.

corres
Posts: 2588
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:41 am
Location: hungary

Re: Issue with compilation of leela ver.0.24.x

Post by corres » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:34 pm

Fulvio wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:37 pm
corres wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:25 pm
I did not modify what would be modified to make compilation.
And you?
Could you compile Leela during the first attempt from the given source?
If yes, you are a lucky guy being near the fire.
Why so much hate?
Of course I did, but I was not judging you. I mean, it doesn't require any ability, just knowledge.
You whined for several days, so I asked out of some honest curiosity, but if it makes you angry let's just drop it.
Wish you all the best.
Please, mark for me where I wrote hating mode.
I asked for help from crem, who did not react even my personal e-mail either. This was not the first case when I did not experienced readiness to help from the developers of Leela. But, thanking to you now I experienced insolent arrogance. I do not know, who you are, I did not read only one post from you, so you ought to introduce yourself, do not you think so?
I ask for help and not for curiosity and instead of whining I solved the problem without the help of crem and his group.

crem
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 7:29 pm

Re: Issue with compilation of leela ver.0.24.x

Post by crem » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:03 pm

corres wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:34 pm

Please, mark for me where I wrote hating mode.
I asked for help from crem, who did not react even my personal e-mail either. This was not the first case when I did not experienced readiness to help from the developers of Leela. But, thanking to you now I experienced insolent arrogance.
I didn't receive any emails from you.

But if I would, then unless I would know the answer right away, I would probably respond with the invitation to join our Discord server, where it's much easier to debug such issues, and where there are more people ready to help.

Post Reply