Stockfish Polyglot now violates the GPL

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Ovyron

Stockfish Polyglot now violates the GPL

Post by Ovyron » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:18 pm

Stockfish Polyglot was updated on March 20:

https://chess.massimilianogoi.com/download/stockfish/#

Yet its sources can't be found anywhere? The github has code several months old. Why don't they just include the source with the many compiles they provide?

I guess now everybody can do their Stockfish modifications, release their compiles, and keep sources secret, the GPL has become a joke...

Robert Pope

Re: Stockfish Polyglot now violates the GPL

Post by Robert Pope » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:38 am

Did you ask for the source and were refused? GPL doesn't require source to be published on the web, just provided on request.

Ovyron

Post by Ovyron » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:35 am

The only way they have of communication requires giving them my email and I don't even know if they'd sell it or whatever.

It isn't rocket science to share the source (they chose to NOT include it with the compiles and to NOT update their github), so it's clear they preferred to have a closed Stockfish derivative.

Robert Pope

Post by Robert Pope » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:01 am

Ovyron wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:35 am
The only way they have of communication requires giving them my email and I don't even know if they'd sell it or whatever.

It isn't rocket science to share the source (they chose to NOT include it with the compiles and to NOT update their github), so it's clear they preferred to have a closed Stockfish derivative.
Okay, but that isn't a GPL violation. They've provided a way to contact them and request the source. That you don't trust them enough to provide an address for them to send the code to is your decision. You could always create a throwaway email just for that.

Ovyron

Post by Ovyron » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:15 am

That's very inconvenient.

I'm now requesting someone (that doesn't mind sharing their emails to strangers) to request Stockfish Polyglot's source to see if they comply with the GPL or not.