Stockfish Polyglot now violates the GPL

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kramnik
Full name: Massimiliano Goi

Re: Stockfish Polyglot now violates the GPL

Post by kramnik »

Ovyron wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:19 am... the code that produces the compiles doesn't include that file, so having it ready beforehand would cause a delay of the compiles, which is what most users care about.
False: if commented it wouldn't affect the binaries in any way.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

I meant that even if the compiles were identical, if you wanted to release them with the code, you'd need to delay their release until the credits were ready, so now I understand why releasing them ASAP and releasing the code later when the credits are ready is better.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Ovyron wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:54 am
Adam Hair wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:37 am As for the general indifference to kramnik violating Stockfish's licensing, we both know it is due to the fact that kramnik is not hiding the origins or nature of his work.
This thread here is to point out the indifference *from the community.*

Stockfish Polyglot's hidden source has become the tree that falls that doesn't make any audible noise.
The community has no standing to complain. Only the copyright holders have.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

syzygy wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:51 pm The community has no standing to complain. Only the copyright holders have.
I complained and the sources were publicly released, so at least this is an example where ceasing to be silent worked.